SPOILERS Agents of Mayhem - A Critique

I'm willing to bet there were really odd limitations to the old engine, I recall the memory cap being an issue in 3, and then in 4 most of the performance issues were dealt with and it ran generally better on PC than the previous entry. Similarly, the devs behind Payday 2 are working on a new engine for Payday 3 because of bizarre limitations. Like magazines can't be done as openly as an attachment type because they can't set different animations for other magazine types like drums.

So that said? The overall feeling I get while playing is that most of the work went into the combat, which overall feels way snappier and easier to get into than any of the Saints Row games. Like, can I just mention how much I adore being able to take aim and shoot in the air alone?

I think my entire critique would hinge on feeling that maybe the agents should have been treated a little like Team Fortress characters when it comes to their weapons. Everyone has a distinct shotgun or rifle, but I feel a generic secondary could have aided in mixing things up. These characters get a pistol, these get an smg, these get a shotgun, etc. As is, ammo pick ups almost feel... pointless? Like I swear ammo pick ups are in the game, but I haven't ran out of ammo once, to the point it feels unlimited at times.

Draw distance.

It doesn't look that much longer than most open world games. And even if it were, why? Does it really do a better job than some decent LOD's? Unless you're running the game in 4K, I doubt it.

I'm willing to bet there were really odd limitations to the old engine, I recall the memory cap being an issue in 3, and then in 4 most of the performance issues were dealt with and it ran generally better on PC than the previous entry. Similarly, the devs behind Payday 2 are working on a new engine for Payday 3 because of bizarre limitations. Like magazines can't be done as openly as an attachment type because they can't set different animations for other magazine types like drums.

Coincidentally, both Payday 2 and Agents of Mayhem are games with outdated graphics that run worse than Arkham Knight. Difference is Payday 2 has 4 years worth of content updates and a 32bit architecture to justify it (sort of). Not to mention an engine older than most GTA players (hue).

Well, almost all agents got my attention (I won't be citing SR characters because it's obvious), mainly Daisy, Fortune, Hollywood, Hardtack and Red Card.

Coincidentally, both Payday 2 and Agents of Mayhem are games with outdated graphics that run worse than Arkham Knight. Difference is Payday 2 has 4 years worth of content updates and a 32bit architecture to justify it (sort of). Not to mention an engine older than most GTA players (hue).

I've been bumming about on a console copy, so I can't speak for PC performance. All I'm noting is that odd reasons can rise that will call for an engine needing to be abandoned or moved away from. It could even be something as simple as licensing or something. Again, I'm also willing to state Saints Row 3 ran like trash on PC for me, even on my newer PC it runs worse than 4 and Gat out of Hell. This is a first run with a new engine, I'm hoping by the time I can pick it up on PC the performance has been patched a little and things are more stable, I definitely hope to come back in time for modding tools. If their work ethic is anything like it is in the past, they will work hard on making the PC experience more functional and fun as best they can. Volition is pretty nifty group like that.

Lighting.

Right, we wouldn't want the 512 x 512 textures to have improper lighting...

I've been bumming about on a console copy, so I can't speak for PC performance. All I'm noting is that odd reasons can rise that will call for an engine needing to be abandoned or moved away from. It could even be something as simple as licensing or something. Again, I'm also willing to state Saints Row 3 ran like trash on PC for me, even on my newer PC it runs worse than 4 and Gat out of Hell.

They both ran at 60 FPS 1080p with maximum settings even back when I had a GTX 550 and a dual core, although Saints Row The Third did have more hiccups when things got too crazy, which is somewhat justified considering it has more population to process and more unique assets to render than Saints Row IV. All that under a 32bit architecture.

My standards were a lot lower back then so I might've missed some framerate drops, but it was definitely nowhere near as bad as Saints Row 2 or Agents of Mayhem.

This is a first run with a new engine, I'm hoping by the time I can pick it up on PC the performance has been patched a little and things are more stable, I definitely hope to come back in time for modding tools. If their work ethic is anything like it is in the past, they will work hard on making the PC experience more functional and fun as best they can. Volition is pretty nifty group like that.

Not for the past decade. I don't know exactly what happened, but after Saints Row 2 it's like they've all been replaced by robots. While their games aren't necessarily bad (except Agents of Mayhem) they have a very "EA" feel to them, and apart from the optimization they are a step down from their predecessors in pretty much every way.

Also, no offense, but buying two copies of the game when it's this poorly optimized (on top of everything else) won't exactly provide much incentive for them to get better. It only encourages them to keep releasing shoddy ports.

Last edited:
The price of $60 plus dlc was way too much for me to consider at launch for what this game is. $30 is much more reasonable. I don't know what goes into making the decision on pricing decisions, and there may have been some hard choices that lead up to the decision to price it so high, but I'm not willing to pay more than $30. I'm going to wait for a deal, and see what modders will be able to do with it before purchasing.

$30 is much more reasonable.

Trust me, it's not.

For me there's nothing they can charge for this game that would make me re-buy it, since I don't buy Denuvo games. But assuming it didn't come packed with Denuvo, it isn't worth more than $15 with all future DLC included. And that's being generous considering the highly unjustifiable hardware requirements I'd have to meet to run it at a reasonable framerate.

Back