Lowering/Raising Draw Distance options?

Would this be a good idea? I'm not sure if it is, but would it be possible for some kind of mod that features selective optimization for SR2 / SR3 for lowering the far view/ draw distance? And probably have the option for moving it down to slight fog or something. Mostly, for the sake of performance and gameplay. I've been looking all over the place firmly for one but there isn't one that exists! I'd think a busload of players out there without a beefy rig would seriously appreciate something like this--or those who might get somewhat motion sick. Thank you!

I also found <MinFadeDistance> and <MaxFadeDistance> in "foliage_layers.xtbl" (SR3), which should affect foliage draw distance, but I haven't really experimented with that. There's a set of those values for each type of foliage.

Last edited:
Actually, there are settings in SRIV tweak_table.xbtl related to fog distances and shadow distances. It might be possible to eek out some performance with some tweaking to those...

I don't have GOOH, but I assume its not too much unlike SRIV..that kind of "draw distance", I've been looking and finding nothing...thinking hardcode for 3d to 2d distance draw (was hoping for something like Skyrim's full model in close range to billboards for grass/trees at long range).

Hey, cool! Happen to know where I can find tweak_table.xbtl? I looked around in the main game files, I couldn't find something relatively named like it. Thanks for the feedback though man!

Does it work for you?
I just tried shortening the foliage draw distance way down (in SR3), and, sadly, it doesn't seem to make any difference at all. Sorry for the false hope. It's probably another vestige from an older version of SR, or something that was never implemented. Or, I suppose it's possible that it's just not reading that table file from the SR3 game directory.

EDIT: I just tried wiping out the contents of the table (removed all foliage entries) and put the "empty" version of the table in the SR3 game directory, and nothing changed (the game ran normally), so it seems to be ignoring that table completely. I also tried putting the table in the "tables" directory, and that didn't work either. Maybe the engine's just not looking for the table in either of those places. I haven't tried repacking misc_tables.vpp_pc with the modified table, but MAYBE that would work.

EDIT 2: The other issue is, even though the table has a range for fading in the foliage, it has always seemed to just pop in at a certain distance rather than fading in. I always found that rather jarring. Maybe they never had time to implement the fade-in part of it.

Last edited:
I'm going to keep looking though cuz the flowers in your texture replacer are maddeningly jarring. lol
You mean in Admixon's texture replacer, I assume. I would not want to claim any credit for his great work! :)

I do wish Volition had implemented either alpha blending (fading) or screen door fading for the foliage. It would have helped alleviate much of that "maddeningly jarring" pop-in. It just looks like it's not implemented in the engine.

Back