Changing radio stations in Gat Out Of Hell - using your own music

M

Minimaul

Installing RadioEnabler
In the RadioEnabler folder you should have two files - "xinput1_3.dll" and "RadioEnabler.ini".

To install RadioEnabler, simply copy these two files to the same directory as your "SaintsRowGatOutOfHell.exe" file. This is usually located in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\common\Saints Row Gat out of Hell" or "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\common\Saints Row Gat out of Hell".

Once you're in game and have control of your character, you should be able to use the , and . keys (the same keys as SR4) to adjust the radio. You will get no on-screen visuals, but trust me, you'll hear it! :)

Using RadioSwapper
RadioSwapper lets you use different songs on the in-game radio. You have to use RadioEnabler for this to have any effect at all.

These instructions will show you how to import your own music.

Before we start, you will need Wwise for Saints Row IV installed.
Download it from https://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/pages/wwise-sriv/
To install it, extract the zip file, run "Wwise_v2012.2_Setup.exe" and just follow the steps, accepting the defaults at each step.

To do this, we must do the following:
  1. Choose the tracks we want to replace
  2. Load the new sound files into Gat Out Of Hell
1. Choose the tracks we want to replace

To import the audio into Gat Out Of Hell, we will need to use RadioSwapper. Go back to the extracted files you downloaded from this post and open the "RadioSwapper" folder - you'll see:

09-radioswapper-files.png

Run RadioSwapper by double clicking RadioSwapper.exe. You'll see:

10-radioswapper.png

To edit a track, just double click on it - for example to replace track 1, just double click on the first line. That will open this window:

11-trackpicker.png

This window lets you choose the track you want to use in this slot.

To choose a track, click "Browse". Browse to the folder containing the tracks you want to use. You should be able to use tracks in just about any format, including MP3, AAC, Apple Lossless, FLAC, and more. If you can't see the file you want, try changing the file type dropdown to "All files" - most audio files should work!

12a-browse-for-track.png

Select the track you want and click "Open". The file will now be converted:

13a-converting.png

Once it has finished converting, the track picker will now look like:

14a-trackpicker.png

If you're happy with the track you've selected, click "OK".
If you've made a mistake, just click "Cancel" and try again.
If you want to use the original track that Gat Out Of Hell came with in this slot, you can click "Reset".

We'll click "OK" this time. The main window now looks like:

15a-track01-set.png

Repeat this step for each of the other slots.

After filling in each slot, my main window now looks like:

16a-all-slots-filled.png

Once you're happy with your list, click "Build".

This will build your replacement soundbank for Gat Out Of Hell. Once it's done, you'll see:

16-built-soundbank.png

Click OK. You can now close RadioSwapper by clicking the X at the top right.

A new "out" folder will now be in the same directory as RadioSwapper.exe. It should contain the following files:
17-out-folder.png

These are the files we'll need for Saints Row: Gat Out Of Hell to play our new music.

2. Load the new sound files into Gat Out Of Hell

First, copy "genx_radio.xtbl" and "radio_genx_media.bnk_pc" to the same directory as your "SaintsRowGatOutOfHell.exe" - usually "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\common\Saints Row Gat out of Hell" or "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\common\Saints Row Gat out of Hell".

Once you've done that, the folder should look like:

18-rootfolder.png

Then copy "soundboot.vpp_pc" to your Gat Out Of Hell packfile directory - usually "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\common\Saints Row Gat out of Hell\packfiles\pc\cache" or "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\common\Saints Row Gat out of Hell\packfiles\pc\cache".

Overwrite the "soundboot.vpp_pc" that is already there.
19-packfile-folder.png

You're done! Run Gat Out Of Hell and switch to your radio using , or .!

Last edited by a moderator:
Easy to understand tutorial, but I don't understand the need for Wwise, since it's not used in the tutorial. What is it used for then?
It provides a "wwisecli.exe" program that is used to do the actual audio conversion (to .wem files) in the background.

It provides a "wwisecli.exe" program that is used to do the actual audio conversion (to .wem files) in the background.
The version of wwise linked to in this document won't install (says a newer installer is available and you must use the newer one). So I downloaded and installed the newer version but RadioSwapper.exe still generates a dialog stating that wwise is not installed.

Digging into RadioSwapper I see that the application is trying to use a fixed path:
Code:
if (!File.Exists("C:\\Program Files\\Audiokinetic\\Wwise v2012.2 build 4419\\Authoring\\Win32\\Release\\bin\\WwiseCLI.exe")
&& !File.Exists("C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Audiokinetic\\Wwise v2012.2 build 4419\\Authoring\\Win32\\Release\\bin\\WwiseCLI.exe"))
{
   MessageBox.Show("Could not find a Wwise installation.\nYou need Wwise v2012.2 build 4419 installed to use audio that is not in wem format.");
   return;
}

The hard wired path uses a different build number.
Is there anyway we can get a build where the path to this dependency can be externalized into app.config or a settings file?

Last edited:
The version of wwise linked to in this document won't install (says a newer installer is available and you must use the newer one). So I downloaded and installed the newer version but RadioSwapper.exe still generates a dialog stating that wwise is not installed.

Digging into RadioSwapper I see that the application is trying to use a fixed path:
Code:
if (!File.Exists("C:\\Program Files\\Audiokinetic\\Wwise v2012.2 build 4419\\Authoring\\Win32\\Release\\bin\\WwiseCLI.exe")
&& !File.Exists("C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Audiokinetic\\Wwise v2012.2 build 4419\\Authoring\\Win32\\Release\\bin\\WwiseCLI.exe"))
{
   MessageBox.Show("Could not find a Wwise installation.\nYou need Wwise v2012.2 build 4419 installed to use audio that is not in wem format.");
   return;
}

The hard wired path uses a different build number.
Is there anyway we can get a build where the path to this dependency can be externalized into app.config or a settings file?
It's only been tested with the installer above... I'll look into this.

Edit: issue is if any of the formats have changed then this could generate files SRIV can't play - that's why I hard-coded it to a specific build number.

Edit: I've just gone to the installer to try this. You get:
01-wwise.png

Just click "I have read and accept the license terms" and then click "Install" - the standalone components are already downloaded as part of the initial zip file download so it should install OK. I've just done a full install on a test machine with no issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's only been tested with the installer above... I'll look into this.
Edit: issue is if any of the formats have changed then this could generate files SRIV can't play - that's why I hard-coded it to a specific build number.

Sigh... nevermind, I'm just a big dummy. I was looking at the big orange warning in the wwise setup that says the web installer is newer and to upgrade but you can ignore that and still install.

I'm sorry about that. For anyone seeing this, the installer works fine if you ignore the warning and accept the license terms.

Sigh... nevermind, I'm just a big dummy. I was looking at the big orange warning in the wwise setup that says the web installer is newer and to upgrade but you can ignore that and still install.

I'm sorry about that. For anyone seeing this, the installer works fine if you ignore the warning and accept the license terms.
What you suggested is a good plan though - you might have guessed from digging through the code that this program was written in a hurry :)

What you suggested is a good plan though - you might have guessed from digging through the code that this program was written in a hurry :)

It's always easy to second guess code that you weren't involved in developing so I apologize if I came off that way. Obviously there are business rules that mandate that specific version of wwise and the screw up was all on me for not being more thorough with that wwise setup. Great mod and great tool!

Back