Vehicles Decal customization (Lin's Reaper)

Im just trying to retexture the vanilla decals from the Reaper:

to make them look like the Bling and lin variants from SR1:

i located this images all the way back from the vehicles.vpp_pc files:

i tried saving with DTX1 and DTX5 compression, but every moment i've repacked the Str2 files and updated the Asm files folders into the root, i was unable to use the Reaper from my garage.
Besides that i played my game normally while having the problem at the same time.

Attachments

• decal2edit.jpg
    decal2edit.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 277
  • upload_2020-12-3_21-46-53.png
    upload_2020-12-3_21-46-53.png
    263.8 KB · Views: 203
  • upload_2020-12-3_21-46-57.png
    upload_2020-12-3_21-46-57.png
    263.8 KB · Views: 170
  • Lin Variant.jpg
    Lin Variant.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 342
  • Decal1-1.png
    Decal1-1.png
    507 KB · Views: 276
  • decal1edit.jpg
    decal1edit.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 180
  • Decal1-1.png
    Decal1-1.png
    507 KB · Views: 203
  • decal1edit.jpg
    decal1edit.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
i will, thank you for helping me so far, btw if you dont mind can you explain, why you didnt think it was possible? what_df suffix stands for? im a total noob and this can perhaps give me some insight.
such textures are written in a specific method. they only have an alpha channel and a monochrome recording of color (black, gray, white). textures with dx compression are clearly not suitable here.
after you threw me the mod, you convinced me that it was possible. then you need to choose the type of compression for such a texture. and this can only be done in Photoshop. dds exporter in paint.net is not suitable for such manipulations

Last edited:
such textures are written in a specific method. they only have an alpha channel and a monochrome recording of color (black, gray, white). textures with dx compression are clearly not suitable here.
after you threw me the mod, you convinced me that it was possible. then you need to choose the type of compression for such a texture. and this can only be done in Photoshop. dds exporter in paint.net is not suitable for such manipulations

So we at least have to figure out that compression, i got the photoshop, but the problem is the user that posted the mod was active 3 years ago so i didnt bother yet to ask him, it would be awesome, if we can find that someone else that could know about it.

im shooting in the dark as a modder for other games (super noob myself) but.... VTF Edit will import these images and might be able to export correctly too? there are a ton of ways to export as L4D2 is a very complex game that uses specific things for even color above or below 127 in ether RR GG BB AA to have like 4 different things on 1 texture (this is one of the over complex things and wut i said might be gibberish to some) but it seems from what im reading its asking for grey scale and alpha so im sure it has a setting for this?? if u guys know what format type it needs to be saved under i can have a nose myself :D

im shooting in the dark as a modder for other games (super noob myself) but.... VTF Edit will import these images and might be able to export correctly too? there are a ton of ways to export as L4D2 is a very complex game that uses specific things for even color above or below 127 in ether RR GG BB AA to have like 4 different things on 1 texture (this is one of the over complex things and wut i said might be gibberish to some) but it seems from what im reading its asking for grey scale and alpha so im sure it has a setting for this?? if u guys know what format type it needs to be saved under i can have a nose myself

Hi Hisako, nice suffix :D , some guy told me i needed to save on A8 but i couldn't edit the texture properly, im not a modder so i forgot a lot of stuff, anyway i can share more info and do my homework again to help you on this.

ive looked into car decals btw, and it does seem it just needs to be saved in paint.net as a DTX5. making sure the file type is correct and its tga.dss (ive never seen this myself so its pretty cool to look into as a reverse engineer xD heh)

the way ive noticed the textures is there are some that use no color and use only grey (to be used as variants with color in game)
or
they use full color images with no variant in game

also there isnt a full image of the car layout as a texture so everything ur editing is mostly fixed in place. (tho im not 100% sure yet, cuz ive not rly tried tweaking anything else, only textures (ive ignored code for now)

just re read the car u was doin, so ill try look into that myself :D see if there is anything with that can i can tweak

Back