Merging mods (many images within)

I don't want to merge mods, I just want that my game doesn't crash. I deleted a mod, by just pressing the delete button, after that the game continuously crashes. How to get over this problem?

Remove all of the mods you have installed. Delete all .xtbl, .str2_pc, and .asm_pc files in your game's folder, or just delete everything there (except the subfolders) and verify integrity in Steam to redownload the ones you need.

On the other hand, if you did successfully remove the mod, but you can't load a specific save without crashing, then i guess you'll have to use a different save, start over, or keep using the mod.

Finally, i'd like to point out that you previously said that your game started crashing after you installed several mods, not after you removed one.

Last edited:
What if its not possible for me to update via steam. I've got a proxified internet connection that does not allow steam to download updates. Is there any workaround?

Remove all of the mods you have installed. Delete all .xtbl, .str2_pc, and .asm_pc files in your game's folder, or just delete everything there (except the subfolders) and verify integrity in Steam to redownload the ones you need.

On the other hand, if you did successfully remove the mod, but you can't load a specific save without crashing, then i guess you'll have to use a different save, start over, or keep using the mod.

Finally, i'd like to point out that you previously said that your game started crashing after you installed several mods, not after you removed one.

You can also use this .bat file to remove all of the mods with a quick double click.

Uploaded with permission from IdolNinja as it is the script he wrote for Gentleman of Steeport.

Attachments

• Remove_all_SR_mods_(MOVE_ME_TO_SR_INSTALL_FOLDER).7z
    582 bytes · Views: 501
Is there a easyer way of doing this as im a dumb fuck when it comes to this
There really isn't. You'll have to get someone else to do it for you, if you can't.

What if its not possible for me to update via steam. I've got a proxified internet connection that does not allow steam to download updates. Is there any workaround?
I'm going to need you to connect your Steam account to the forum now, because that's a situation i haven't seen before, and i'd like to verify that you actually have access to the game.

Upper right corner of any page, in the menu under your name, choose "Steam integration".

I'd kinda like mod authors to start providing unidiffs in addition to the full files (except for binary blobs, obviously); I suspect that would be one of the steps to making a standardized mod format. Ideally, I'd like Volition to implement something where you can override a particular nested key/value attribute without having to duplicate the entire file, but that's perilously close to monkeypatching.

Anybody have suggestions for binary diff formats? There's vcdiff or git's binary format, I suppose, but I can't say I've ever used either in practice.

It is possible to make a tool that automates merging to some extent. It could make a diff patch by running the comparison itself. There are also diff/merge programs that can take 3 files at once just for this situation. The challenge comes up when there's a conflict, presenting that to the user, getting some kind of input as to what to do, and educating them on their options. Or it could just fail and tell them they have to do it manually.

Diffuse (http://diffuse.sourceforge.net/) is a nice tool for comparing. Much like WinMerge, except it allows you to compare as many files as you want. I would load one mod on the left, another on the right, and have the unmodded original file in the middle for reference.

WinMerge I used for vpp files, where I would explode the two vpp's, find the original files, then use WinMerge to compare files between the mod and original. Not compare as in show the line by line difference, but a summary of 'this file is modified' 'same as original' 'modified binary', or other such results. It was nice for seeing which files were umodified so I didn't go through absolutely everything.

Unfortunately, my ambitious merging of GoS for SR2 & XDQ's Realism mod for SR2 ultimately failed, taking a couple of eye-straining hours. Diff3, from diffutils, might have saved me time, but I haven't played much with it yet.

Back