First-person camera experiment

SRTT first-person camera experiment
ver. 0.4

Warning
Before I'll go into details, I have to move one thing out of the way: this mod won't turn Saints Row The Third into your favourite, award-winning firt person shooter. SRTT was meant to be TPP and that means turning it into FPP by an amateur modder (or just a person with my skills) is next to impossible. Not once and not twice you will run into a) bugs b) clipping issues c) animation and camera hiccups. Of course, I'm planning to get rid of them all eventually. As for now though, please feel encouraged to tweak this mod on your own (just remember to give proper credits to all of the people noted below), suggest things etc.

Alright, so what's it all about?
Long story short, this mod is nothing else than a pack of camera repositions, animation tweaks and other gimmicks that all combined try to deliver as genuine FPS feeling to SRTT as it gets. Check out screenshots below and post your opinions!

This mod isn't bug free and - I fear - won't be for a long time. There are just too many things going on in SRTT to cover them all at once. Also, this mod is designed for post-campaign gameplay. For example, some missions force you to wear hats or face-wear (which covers your „eyes”) and cutscenes use different (sometimes forced) camera angles. To replay your favourite missions in FPS, I suggest using Mission Replay mod (by IdolNinja, gibbbed, Corrodias, luckz) and its „no forced outfits”version.

zrzuty_ekranu.jpg

Installation
  1. Unpack the archive.
  2. Move unpacked xtbl files to Saints Row The Third main folder (for example: C:\steam\SteamApps\common\saints row the third).
  3. Overwrite previously existing file if asked; keep in mind that mods that were using overwrited files will most probably bug out.
You may also consider installing optional files. Those can be found in "Optional" folder. Here's what they do:
  • Weapons.xtbl changes aiming pose for pump-action shotguns. Now you'll be able to see them. I've made it opitional because of popularity of other weapon's mods. If you want to apply "FPS-friendly" anims for your current weapons.xtbl, just change all <Animation_Group>Sawedoff</Animation_Group> to <Animation_Group>Shot Gun</Animation_Group>
  • customization_items.xtbl - For those of you who don't like the idea of wearing Military Man necklace and would like to have an invisble head by default (will make coop partners' heads invisible; player's head won't show up while driving a vehicle as well.)
Usage
Run the game, go to your wardrobe (or visit Let's Pretend) and outfit yourself with "Military Man" necklace (which now can be found in Headwear section).

You can change your character's clothes like normal (just don't choose any hats, glasses or face-wear) and then see them during movement. Beware of clipping issues though! Clothes with high collars are usually getting into way much more often than the rest.

If you wish to disable player's body (and play as "hovering arms"), undress your character's „lower part”.

Credits
  • I build this thing on top of shitface's Vehicle Camera First Person Mod (a tune-up of quantumsingularity86's Vehicle Camera First Person Mod ) so it would be unfair to not credit him. Of course, you can press aim button while driving to enable vehicle's dashboard view.
  • IdolNinja helped A LOT by posting the VIDs list on the board and pointing me to it.
  • Letrune for helping out with coop issue and driver's head visibility fix
Coop notes
In previous versions, every player - a host or a guest, it didn't matter - with FPS mod enabled would end up seeing coop partner headless. Right now, however, any character's head will turn invisible only if that character is wearing a "Military Man" long chain. Can't see your coop partner's head (and know that he or she isn't using FPS mod like you)? Just ask him/he for removing the dog tag necklace from his character!

Version history
23-09-2012: Ver. 0.1.
25-09-2012: Ver. 0.2 is up. You can now play in FPS as your regular character.
03-10-2012: Ver. 0.3. First „release” version: many tweaks done, many bugs to hunt down.
13-10-2012: "Co-op friendly" fix is up.
14-10-2012: Ver. 0.4. Sprint attacks are now in FPS, character's head shows up while driving, coop fix included.
26-06-2013: Patch for ver. 0.4. Feature allowing you to play as "hovering arms" has been restored.

Attachments

• SRTT_fps_experiment_0-4_BMS.zip
    284.2 KB · Views: 70,623
  • fps_experiment_0-4_patch BMS.zip
    59.4 KB · Views: 23,574
i tested this.. its really cool i love it the only problem i have is it shows the back of the head and i keeps popping in and out of my guys head... im sure you know that already, but just sayen. so aside from that, this is a great mod

i tested this.. its really cool i love it the only problem i have is it shows the back of the head and i keeps popping in and out of my guys head... im sure you know that already, but just sayen. so aside from that, this is a great mod

Did you read the part where it explains that you need to add the code to the Sandbox+ mod to trigger an invisible head?

Sadly, only Cyrus Temple's suit seem to work. I'll try to work on that though.
I also edited the OP to add a step-by step install guide. No programming skills or special applications required - you just need to run Notepad and add three the lines of code.

Hm... is it something about having the head or not? Because the toilet for instance automatically hides the head.. would it be possible to change the outfits to declare some other one as hiding the head, much in the same way? Or is it something special about the Cyrus Temple outfit that makes it work right for the camera up close like that?

Cyrus outfit disables player's head by default - that's all special about it. I also believe that such effect is achieved via <obscured_slot> and <obscured_vid> tags in customization_items.xtbl but no guarantee - I have 0 knowledge about it. On the other hand though, if we could find out which properties are responsible for disabling player's head visibility, maybe we'll be able to copy those properties to a Cyrus_head (which is a mask that covers player face completely) and thus let the player play in it's "own" body.

The VIDs you need to be obscured are detailed out here:
http://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/index.php?threads/obscured-vids.498/

1 head (but not mouth/nose/ears)
50 Nose and chin
51 Ears
53 Mouth

You may need obscure 52 as well since it's in that range but I couldn't figure out where on the body it was. You may also need the neck/collar or even the upper body too if it clips in (and maybe just leave the arms and legs)

So, your obscured VIDs for the item would look something like this:
Code:
                        <Obscured_VIDs>
                            <Obscured_VID>
                                <VID>1</VID>
                            </Obscured_VID>
                            <Obscured_VID>
                                <VID>50</VID>
                            </Obscured_VID>
                            <Obscured_VID>
                                <VID>51</VID>
                            </Obscured_VID>
                            <Obscured_VID>
                                <VID>53</VID>
                            </Obscured_VID>
                        </Obscured_VIDs>

Thank you, IdolNinja, that was very, very helpful. You saved me a lot of time - I haven't really do any serious research on that topic... It also turns out that VID 52 (desribed as "???" in the list you referred to) is responsible for eyebrows :)

I'm also happy to report that obscured_vids trick did the job perfectly! I uploaded a new version that disables Boss head permanently and allows clothes changing just like vanilla. This version doesn't require Sandbox+ magic anymore as well.

High five! Is it ready to move the thread to the Mod Release subforum?

Score!
Out of curiosity, what happens when you are in cutscenes etcetera when a camera is forced? Is Boss just headless during it and moving about as if there was a head attached? And then, what happens during special animations like takedowns or carjackings? You said you didn't cover them.. does it stay first person and camera go wacky during it, or does it flick third person for a headless boss?

Still, glad to hear a bit of obscuring to hide the head is all it took!

Back