Winmerge a file comparing tool I use

I don't know if it is the best or not for this purpose
but it is a tool I found to use when doing file compares when
one wants to quickly spot the differences between files.

I had nothing avaible to do this so ended up trying it and I like it.
Works fine on ascii based files , which is all I use it for, such as XTBL files
used in Saints Row.

http://winmerge.org/

It is open source and as a result falls under the general banner of freeware.

Another tool I use to do the actual edits is Notepad++
http://notepad-plus-plus.org/
Which is another open source GNU project.

If you use something else or think something is better please followup
and spread the word.
(I'm a fan of open source as in free but will pay if something is just too good for the job
and I have dire need).

Throwing my support in for both Winmerge and Notepad++. I couldn't live without them when when working with sr3 files.

If you use Notepad++, there's a plugin listed in the Plugin Manager called Compare, and it works in a very similar way to WinMerge. It compares the selected file and the one open directly before it.
EDIT: Here's a picture comparing the vanilla cheats.xtbl and IdolNinja's mod.

Got into both of these thanks to IdolNinja on account of my noobness questions, they are LIFE SAVERS when you want more then one mod that uses the same files!

Firstly for hassle free usage, you want to download Notepad++ (just search it and the site will come up) and the XML tools plugin for it, then open each file and use the XML Pretty Print w/ LineBreaks. Next would be right click on one of them and open with winmerge and then it will make you choose the file to compare and merge with. You'll notice an area with arrows on the tops left, without clicking hover over to see what actions will be taken, all areas that are different will be highlighted in yellow, I personally find it easier to do a single line at a time to make sure I don't change something not needed. I suck at writing and explaining things but hope this helps somehow.

Firstly for hassle free usage, you want to download Notepad++ (just search it and the site will come up)
- So I have to download Notepad++.

and the XML tools plugin for it,
- How do I get this plugin?

then open each file and use the XML Pretty Print w/ LineBreaks.
- So which program should I use to open the files, is it the Notepad++?

Next would be right click on one of them and open with winmerge and then it will make you choose the file to compare and merge with.
- On Notepad++ I should right click something and choose WinMerge program in the list?

You'll notice an area with arrows on the tops left, without clicking hover over to see what actions will be taken, all areas that are different will be highlighted in yellow, I personally find it easier to do a single line at a time to make sure I don't change something not needed. I suck at writing and explaining things but hope this helps somehow.
- So I have to look one by one and copy over to one of the file? Ouch... sounds kinda pain, aren't there any buttons to overwrite one file to the other file but retain the same contents but at the same time adds the new contents?

To install the XML Tools plugin, open the plugins manager under the plugins menu, then select it for installation.

Open the files with Notepad++ and use the XML Tools menu under the plugins menu to select the Pretty Print option. Save the files after formatting.

Right-click the files in Explorer, or drag them to the WinMerge window, or just use the Open command in WinMerge's file menu.

No, it can't automatically choose which changes to keep for you; you'll have to know what you're doing. Put the cursor in a changed region and press the "copy right" or "copy left" button (or neither), depending on which file you want to use as your new, merged version. You're going to be copying changes from one file into the other, then using that file in your game.

Back