Why does everyone hate Dex so much?

Granted, he did try to kill The Boss and Julius, but only because The Boss was after him in the first place.

But why?

Dex was the brains of TTSS and a decent guy. So he dropped his flags and got a job! Why is that so horrible? I don't know, maybe I'm just not getting it but I never thought Dex was a bad guy.

...although I do enjoy assaulting his zombie corpse over and over.

Granted, he did try to kill The Boss and Julius, but only because The Boss was after him in the first place.

But why?

Dex was the brains of TTSS and a decent guy. So he dropped his flags and got a job! Why is that so horrible? I don't know, maybe I'm just not getting it but I never thought Dex was a bad guy.

I think it's just because the Protagonist has this code that you should never betray your friends but it is rather fitting to see him as just a husk with a sideways purple hat.

It's just a running gag after not actually killing Dex in the dlc for SR2 where the intention was killing him, then making no mention of him in SRTT, then teasing players at the beginning of SR4.

But why?

Because the Boss, for all intents and purposes, hates Dex. He wasn't loyal to the crew and, as you said, tried to have the Boss and Julius killed. As all the four games has taught us: trying to kill the Boss and/or messing with his/her crew grants you two things: (1) a place very high on the Boss's shit list and (2) a very severe case of being dead.

It's not so much that we players hate Dex, it's that the Boss hated Dex and we fully expected him/her to exact revenge on Dex in Saints Row 2. Instead, Dex was forgotten about for two games and only appeared as a random event on the map in Gat Out Of Hell. For some, it's a lackluster closure for a revenge plot that had its roots in the very first game.

EDIT: In the words of Boss, "If you wanted to be a killer with a conscience, write a book like King, but you should never have come after me!" The bolded basically sums it all up. Had Dex simply dropped his flag and that was that, then the Boss would have had no problem with him. Dex decided to go after the Boss, which was the problem.

Last edited:
The problem I saw was that I'm sure if Dex came around and at least tried to talk and come to an agreement with the Saints, that none of that stuff would've happened.
Troy could've easily get killed for being an undercover cop, but he still came to an agreement with the Saints. Julius from since the end of SR1 tried to kill you just because he thought you was out of line (when I personally think it wasn't your fault as you were simply doing what those above you told you to do... one of those people were also Dex.)
Dex knew you were coming for him and decided to take the action of not trying to simply talk to you, but to kill you and Julius, and then after that still tries to kill you again in the SR2 DLC.
After that and running away was enough for why later The Boss just want to find and kill Dex. The only one that was never caught for what he's done (or tried to do) like William, Maero, Phillepe, and so on.

Back