What's under your hood?

Nvidia vs AMD GPU's

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I got a new GPU so now I'm all nerding out on specs. Curious what everybody else has got going on in their PC's, and what they would like to have.

Intel core 2 quad 2.4 ghz (uhhhhgggg, someday I'll get a 3.4 quad i5....someday....)
Asus crap motherboard (I pulled it from a HP Pavilion)
8 gb of DDR 2 can't remember brand name....it's big and blue :p
Nvidia Geforce 2 gb GTX 660 SC edition
Corsair 700 PSU (Has blue LED lights!)
300 gb 10,000 rpm HDD (Made for servers or something. Works good, but it ain't no SDD!)
500 gb 7500 rpm Hitachi HDD
Sadly I'm currently on a 32 inch T.V. that runs at 720......That's my next upgrade.
Windows 7, which I love. Finally replaced Windows XP for my favorite. Though OS 10 is a god of OS's except for the complete lack of gaming support....but still. Windows, why U no force quit!?

I also use an Xbox 360 controller......how many others do the same? I really hate key board and mouse. It's like they were designed for typing and not gaming! Weird.

As for the future I definitely need a proper Motherboard with DDR 3, and an intel i5. After that I'm happy as a bugs butt. Love my gtx 660 (it's new!), my case has a silver spider on it....so that's pretty cool. Though I have 5 giant fans glowing blue cooling an entry level PC.....a little overboard.

I started with a Nvidia gt 430, then upgraded to the gts 450, now I jumped to the gtx 660. I was using a 22 inch PC monitor at 1650x1080, but opted to switch to my old 32 inch flat screen running at 720.....hard to say which is better......maybe a 44 inch 1080 3D TV!!! Maybe next time.

Update: My wife has a 2.4 ghz quad Power mac G5, my daughter has a 3.2 ghz triple core AMD Phenom 2, with a gts 450, and I have 40 HP convertible towers with Pentium D's in my garage....ta-da!

Anyways, what's you guys got going?

This post is no longer accurate. See: http://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/index.php?threads/whats-under-your-hood.2237/page-3#post-20639

My main PC:

Case: Fractal Design Define R3 - ultra quiet case
CPU: Intel Core i7 920, currently at 3.4GHz (2.66GHz stock)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Motherboard: ASUS P6T Deluxe
RAM: 3x 4GB AMD DDR3 1600MHz Performance Memory modules - really Patriot Memory in disguise ;)
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB - flashed to a 7970 1 GHz edition and with an aftermarket graphics cooler fitted: http://www.quietpc.com/gel-icy-vision-amd
Boot drive: Crucial m4 256GB SSD
Linux drive: Crucial m4 128GB SSD
Secondary storage: 8x2TB Hitachi Ultrastar drives connected to a LSI 9260-8i hardware RAID controller. Running in RAID6 for a total of 12TB usable.
PSU: Cooler Master 1000W modular power supply (I forget the exact model)
Sound: ASUS Xonar DX
Networking: Intel Gigabit ET Dual Port Server LAN card
Monitors: Dell U2711 27" Ultrasharp 2650x1440 LCD (using DisplayPort), HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 LCD (using DisplayPort) and HP LP2065 20" 1600x1200 LCD (using DVI). I've also got another HP LP2065 connected up to my Xen server and my Mac Mini, and the HP LP2475w is also connected to the Mac Mini, my Xbox 360, my PS3 and my Wii.

I use a Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless (MX Blues) and an Apple Magic Mouse on my Mac Mini, and a Filco Majestouch (MX Browns) and a Razer Mamba on my desktop. I love proper mechanical keyboards - they cost more but IMHO it's worth it.

IMG_0152.JPG IMG_0153.JPG IMG_0162.JPG my desk.png

I've also got a Xen server here for development and testing work, a brand new 2.6GHz quad core i7 Mac Mini, and a 15" Retina MacBook Pro - also with a 2.6GHz quad core i7.

My gaming rig.

Case:Rosewill Smart One ATX Mid Tower
CPU: AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz
Motherboard: MSI 870A-G54 (FX) AM3+ AMD 870
RAM:Crucial Ballistix Sport (12GB)
GPU's: EVGA 02G-P4-2670-KR GeForce GTX 670 2GB and EVGA SSC 01G-P4-3652-KR GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB
PSU: KINGWIN ABT-850MM 850W
SOUND: Digital out to a JVC Home Theater Receiver.
Monitors: Acer P235Hbmid Black 23" and Acer S231HLbid Black 23"

Steam Info...

Processor Information:
Vendor: AuthenticAMD
Speed: 3600 Mhz
4 logical processors
2 physical processors
HyperThreading: Supported
FCMOV: Supported
SSE2: Supported
SSE3: Supported
SSSE3: Supported
SSE4a: Supported
SSE41: Supported
SSE42: Supported

Network Information:
Network Speed:

Operating System Version:
Windows 7 (64 bit)
NTFS: Supported
Crypto Provider Codes: Supported 311 0x0 0x0 0x0

Video Card:
Driver: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti

DirectX Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll
Driver Version: 9.18.13.1070
DirectX Driver Version: 9.18.13.1070
Driver Date: 3 Dec 2012
Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
DirectX Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
VendorID: 0x10de
DeviceID: 0x1189
Number of Monitors: 2
Number of Logical Video Cards: 2
No SLI or Crossfire Detected
Primary Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Desktop Resolution: 3840 x 1080
Primary Display Size: 26.65" x 15.00" (30.55" diag)
67.7cm x 38.1cm (77.6cm diag)
Primary Bus: PCI Express 16x
Primary VRAM: 1024 MB
Supported MSAA Modes: 2x 4x 8x

Sound card:
Audio device: Realtek Digital Output(Optical)

Memory:
RAM: 12271 Mb

Miscellaneous:
UI Language: English
Microphone: Not set
Media Type: DVD
Total Hard Disk Space Available: 2193891 Mb
Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 780357 Mb
OS Install Date: Mar 12 2012
Game Controller: None detected

Case: Acer Cooler Master
CPU: Intel Core i7 920, currently at 3.2GHz (2.66GHz stock)
Motherboard: MSI 870A-G54 (FX) AM3+ AMD 870
RAM: Corsair DDR 133 16GB
GPU's: EVGA 02G-P4-2670-KR GeForce GTX 520 2GB and Extreme Gaming GeForce GTX 670
PSU: KINGWIN ABT-850MM 750W
HDD: 2x 2TB Seagate 7500 rmp (528 GB free)
SOUND: Creative Audigi 2Z
Monitors: Samsung LED 24" and Samsung 48" LED 3-D
Internet Connection: 10mb/s UNCAPPED

Holy baby Jesus! That's enough computing power to render the face of god....in 3d!!! Just a side note, Steam has been collecting system specs for years to help developers know what specs to focus on, and it really pointed at the majority of people having 2.0 ghz duel cores, and fairly low end gpu's. Then they noticed a bug in their system, and realized it wasn't working properly. When they fixed it the average specs were two times higher.

Holy baby Jesus! That's enough computing power to render the face of god....in 3d!!! Just a side note, Steam has been collecting system specs for years to help developers know what specs to focus on, and it really pointed at the majority of people having 2.0 ghz duel cores, and fairly low end gpu's. Then they noticed a bug in their system, and realized it wasn't working properly. When they fixed it the average specs were two times higher.
Considering the fact that I payed $10000 for all the parts and assembled it myself, Yes

EDIT:
My cousin has a 2.56 GHz Duel core and a 9500GT (1GB) and I feel sad for her, but we still play portal 2 coop with no lag whatsoever.

Oh, cruel world....why u hated me so? I was all high on the hog with my new GPU and was looking at i7's when......HDD failure. I have 2 HDD's, and a lot of my stuff is backed up, but not everything is so recent. Right after the failure I believed I was hearing a mechanical issue...which sucks really bad, but I thought, it's always best to proceed like it's logical, because.....it couldn't make things worse. The HDD wasn't recognized by Windows, so I went in with Testdisc, and messed around a bit and got the HDD to work again (Yay) BUT, the HDD was blank. Everything deleted (booooo) I then went in with Recuva and crossed my fingers. I let it run while I was at work. When I got home........it had found everything!!!! Bwahahahaha! I'm currently rebuilding mod folders and such. Saints Row third is up and running, next Skyrim, and then Sims 3. Now, I really didn't give a crap about my Skyrim and Saint's mods, because everything including my handmade mods are online, but I write comicbooks and I had one unbacked up script that I really didn't wanna try and rewrite....but it is saved so I is happy!

Lesson: Backup everything important 50 times. If you don't, stay calm and get to work. Also, Valve's Steam is F'n awesome. Cloud saving? Hell yeah.

Oh, cruel world....why u hated me so? I was all high on the hog with my new GPU and was looking at i7's when......HDD failure. I have 2 HDD's, and a lot of my stuff is backed up, but not everything is so recent. Right after the failure I believed I was hearing a mechanical issue...which sucks really bad, but I thought, it's always best to proceed like it's logical, because.....it couldn't make things worse. The HDD wasn't recognized by Windows, so I went in with Testdisc, and messed around a bit and got the HDD to work again (Yay) BUT, the HDD was blank. Everything deleted (booooo) I then went in with Recuva and crossed my fingers. I let it run while I was at work. When I got home........it had found everything!!!! Bwahahahaha! I'm currently rebuilding mod folders and such. Saints Row third is up and running, next Skyrim, and then Sims 3. Now, I really didn't give a crap about my Skyrim and Saint's mods, because everything including my handmade mods are online, but I write comicbooks and I had one unbacked up script that I really didn't wanna try and rewrite....but it is saved so I is happy!

Lesson: Backup everything important 50 times. If you don't, stay calm and get to work. Also, Valve's Steam is F'n awesome. Cloud saving? Hell yeah.
Well damn, the same thing happened to me last year when I had a 250GB HDD

It's all changed. I went on an epic adventure......that goes something like this....

So, I purchased an AMD Phenom II 3ghz quad with a Biostar mobo off of Ebay. The seller said they had problems with it and thought it might be memory related. I bought it for $70, and it would run fine with 8gb of memory for about 30 minutes and die to black screen. I removed 4 gb of memory and it'd roll for about 4 hours, and then die to black. I changed the memory timing, voltage, memory type, over voltage, under voltage, upsy daisy, and downsy daisy, but in the end the mobo was just fudged up. The mobo was a AM2+. Now, I knew that the AMD Phenom II was compatible with both AM2+ and AM3 mobo's so I decided to get me a ASUS AM3+ board so I could later upgrade to an AMD FX chip....interesting thing about the AMD Phenom II...........Though many are AM3 socket chips.....not all where. Mine was not. So now I had an AM3+ board, and 8gb of DDR 3 memory, and an AM2+ chip. So that's when I did it. I dropped the bomb......this is the bomb...

AMD FX 8350, 4ghz Octo-core
8 gb Corsair DDR3
Same crappy HDD, 500 gb Hitashi
EVGA GTX 660 OC edition
700 watt Corsair PSU
ASUS M5A 78L-M LX Plus Motherboard

I'm ready to play some Farmville!

Sager NP170EM

CPU: Intel i-7 3630QM (2.4GHz - 3.4GHz)
GPU: nVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 680M 4GB
RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 *CRUCIAL* (2x8GB) EXTREME PERFORMANCE
HDD: 1x 750GB 7200RPM HDD SEAGATE Momentus