What originally brought you to Steam, and what game(s) did you get first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at my Steam profile today, and I realized that I made my Steam profile and first purchases on it just over 3 years ago. I actually remember quite clearly how it started, too. I was visiting my family in Gloucester, Mass., and my uncle had given me some spending money as a late birthday present. I heard about Steam from GMod Machinimalists I've subscribed to on Youtube, guys like DasBoSchitt, Kitty0706 and DJY1991. Plus, I had brought my gaming laptop with me, and I had just helped my uncle install a wireless router the second day I was down there. So, I walked down to the Walgreen's across town just to buy a gift debit card, and spent about $220 on The Orange Box, L4D & L4D2, GMod, Counter Strike: Source, GTA:SA, GTA IV, Half-Life, Ghostbusters: The Video Game (Which hasn't been available to purchase on Steam since Atari declared bankruptcy earlier this year) and Saints Row 2. I played them like there was no tomorrow, and the best thing about it was the fact that I could play the games offline, as I didn't get internet at my dad's place until about 8 months before I moved out. Since my initial shopping spree at the grandiose Summer Sale of 2010, I have spent more then double that up to now, played for many an hour with personal friends, and even made some other ones just playing a few rounds of TF2 and L4D2 with them. Since this year's summer sale starts in 5 days, I thought I'd reminisce about my beginnings with Steam, and see how far I've come since then. So now, I want to know how you guys got started on Steam, and what were the first games you played and/or purchased on it?
Edit: The date I started was June 28th, 2010

I was looking at my Steam profile today, and I realized that I made my Steam profile and first purchases on it just over 3 years ago. I actually remember quite clearly how it started, too. I was visiting my family in Gloucester, Mass., and my uncle had given me some spending money as a late birthday present. I heard about Steam from GMod Machinimalists I've subscribed to on Youtube, guys like DasBoSchitt, Kitty0706 and DJY1991. Plus, I had brought my gaming laptop with me, and I had just helped my uncle install a wireless the router the second day I was down there. So, I walked down to the Walgreen's across town just to buy a gift debit card, and spent about $220 on The Orange Box, L4D & L4D2, GMod, Counter Strike: Source, GTA:SA, GTA IV, Half-Life, Ghostbusters: The Video Game (Which hasn't been available to purchase on Steam since Atari declared bankruptcy earlier this year) and Saints Row 2. I played them like there was no tomorrow, and the best thing about it was the fact that I could play the games offline, as I didn't get internet at my dad's place until about 8 months before I moved out. Since my initial shopping spree at the grandiose Summer Sale of 2010, I have spent more then double that up to now, played for many an hour with personal friends, and even made some other ones just playing a few rounds of TF2 and L4D2 with them. Since this year's summer sale starts in 5 days, I thought I'd reminisce about my beginnings with Steam, and see how far I've come since then. So now, I want to know how you guys got started on Steam, and what were the first games you played and/or purchased on it?
Counter-Strike: Condition Zero and CS 1.6 originally.

Then Half-Life 2 i when it all took off.

I immediately created a Steam account after beating Half Life 2 on original xbox and realized that Episode 1 existed. I couldn't buy it fast enough. :)

Orange box, myself. It wasn't an option to get Steam.

First game then was Portal. Then episodes 1.. and I think episode 2 eventually? I don't remember exact timing. I do know of the games I have, the most played one is still hands-down Fallout: New Vegas, no matter what other games are added. SR3 is a lot, and Skyrim is more, but neither compare to the 550 hours spent in the Mojave.

The big reason? Modding. Yep, that's why I'm such a fan of modding, it's the only reason I played through Skyrim more than once (the game is ok but it's overhyped and a lot of facade with not as much underneath).. I expect once we can play with missions/etc (not just mission replay, but actual new stuff) I'll be upping the SR3 count.. :D

A friend of mine bought a new video card.
It came with a copy of HL2 and he already had it.
He gave it to me :)
Member since Aug. 26, 2004
The first game I actually bought after that was Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Way back in 2008.

A friend of mine bought a new video card.
It came with a copy of HL2 and he already had it.
He gave it to me :)
The first game I actually bought after that was Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Way back in 2008.

DMoMM was the second game I bought on Steam after orange box. Kicking orcs into wall spikes and off cliffs was the best thing ever. :D

I installed Steam when I bought HL2.

Member since December 22nd, 2005.

My brother had purchased the Half Life Platinum Pack. He tried to play Counterstrike and found out he needed Steam if he wanted to play it. Shortly afterwards we find the CD Key for each disk, except for Opposing Force, grants the entire pack if registered on Steam. So you could say my first Steam Games were Half Life, Opposing Force, Blue Shift, Team Fortress Classic, Counterstrike and Ricochet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back