What is this "EA's Origin"?

Lurked some threads here, wondering what is this "EA's Origin" you guys were typing about?

Somewhat, reminds me of the horrible policy Ubisoft put on their games; Need internet to play even if you want it singleplayer.

Origin is EA's version of Steam. It's an online DRM service that you launch the games from.

Origin is EA's version of Steam. It's an online DRM service that you launch the games from.

That's the basic concept.

In reality, Origin is EA's way of saying ''We need more money!!! Screw you Valve, we won't give you reasonable amounts of money to publish our games anymore!".

Games are pretty cheap on Origin but you get what you pay for.

EDIT: Just found SR:TT on Origin as well, why is Volition giving away free money to EA?

Well, Maniaplanet is published by Ubisoft and there are plenty of things to do even without an internet connection, but yeah for most games published by Ubi you need an internet connection to play single player. And with Maniaplanet it's still most fun to do things online, since there are lots of people to challenge. :)
Cool, but I rather keep steam. :)

That's the basic concept.

In reality, Origin is EA's way of saying ''We need more money!!! Screw you Valve, we won't give you reasonable amounts of money to publish our games anymore!".

Games are pretty cheap on Origin but you get what you pay for.

EDIT: Just found SR:TT on Origin as well, why is Volition giving away free money to EA?

Even if it still would suck, it would be better if we had AT LEAST one company that is not too much of a coward to say "I want money, I don't care if you like or hate the game".

EA is so horrible, I wonder those crazy fanboys always fight about who's better, Ubisoft or EA. I guess they find their policies "better".

Even if it still would suck, it would be better if we had AT LEAST one company that is not too much of a coward to say "I want money, I don't care if you like or hate the game".
Good point, most publishers are like this, but at EA it really stands out,
especially since they kinda fucked up the NFS series since NFS Shift got released, or rather say NFS Shit.

especially since they kinda fucked up the NFS series since NFS Shift got released, or rather say NFS Shit.

I agree, well sort of. Shift wasn't really NFS, EA just loaned Slightly Mad Studios the NFS brand and manufacturer licenses so that they could get more sales and give EA a big fat cut of the profits, consequently landing SMS in the Top 17 most succesful developers despite having only a hand full of games and none of them good... although Shift is still better than Forza or GT if you ask me. Way I see it, NFS' decline began with Carbon, even if it did have it's ups and downs both before and after it. Carbon was a cash-in, even if it wasn't a terrible one. I think The Run is the worst in the series, sure Undercover was bad but at least it had potential, it was just rushed. The Run was exatcly what Black Box intended, it was a finished product. EA treated 'em like slaves for so long that they don't give a damn about making good games anymore. Criterion are naturally gifted at programming and game design, but EA is pressuring 'em so much they decided to just sacrifice most of the content and focus on gameplay and polishing what they already have.

Back on topic, EA could've at least released the sequels and DLC for games that already exist on Steam. Anybody here play The Sims 3? Know what it's like buying and installing half the expansions on Steam and half from the shop (with Origin required)? Well let me tell you it's a fucking pain.

EA are the most busted, true, but they're not the most, how to say, honest. They know a lot of their games, even if some are good, are utterly screwed up by bugs, and a lot of players complain and they don't even help them (EA doesn't help players).

Back on topic, EA could've at least released the sequels and DLC for games that already exist on Steam. Anybody here play The Sims 3? Know what it's like buying and installing half the expansions on Steam and half from the shop (with Origin required)? Well let me tell you it's a fucking pain.

Those Sims games get a lot of expansions, it's just a real clusterfuck.

EA are the most busted, true, but they're not the most, how to say, honest. They know a lot of their games, even if some are good, are utterly screwed up by bugs, and a lot of players complain and they don't even help them (EA doesn't help players).

You mean, just like the Saints Row games? Volition basically abandoned fixing the bugs after the first couple of months; the grayed out homie bug, ATI performance issues, not to mention the laundry list of issues with the SR2 pc port. Only the first couple of SRTT updates even attempted to fix issues. The rest of them were only paid dlc content.

Don't get me wrong. I have a strong dislike for EA as well, but Volition has a history of abandoning support early on their games.

You mean, just like the Saints Row games? Volition basically abandoned fixing the bugs after the first couple of months; the grayed out homie bug, ATI performance issues, not to mention the laundry list of issues with the SR2 pc port. Only the first couple of SRTT updates even attempted to fix issues. The rest of them were only paid dlc content.

Don't get me wrong. I have a strong dislike for EA as well, but Volition has a history of abandoning support early on their games.

Yes, I feel Volition is like EA's sister/brother, because they too don't support us at all. The worst is SR2, it had a million of potential, but no, they just decided it to be as it is. Bad performance for no reason, silly glitches, crashes, some stutters, unwanted speed up, no DLC support, etc.

I didn't get much information about it, but if it is true, Volition never released a SDK, which is sad. Everyone was forced to make their own tools, which is stupid. If Volition can't fix this, let the players fix it, right?

Back