What does CTS stand for?

[V] IdolNinja

Volition Staff
So, the SRTT engine is called the CTS engine, and we've all been theorizing in group chat what it actually stands for; Coordinate x System? Construction Tool Set? Champion Turnip Supremacy?

Also, in SR2, there were cts files that contained coordinate and trigger data for missions and open world things like activity light cones. Does CTS (whatever it stands for) also mean the same thing for those files?

Yup, it's CTG which honestly isn't really a name of an engine but the name of the group that works on it. CTG stands for the ever original Core Technology Group. :)

Yup, it's CTG which honestly isn't really a name of an engine but the name of the group that works on it. CTG stands for the ever original Core Technology Group. :)

Mystery solved! Thanks Jeff!

EDIT:
Well, part of the mystery. I am still wondering about the cts extension on the SR2 game files that contain coordinate and trigger data.

So I wracked my brain and can't for the life of me remember what cts stands for. At a guess it might be obje"cts", as the file format is used for loadable scriptable objects. It goes back to SR1 (which I had also forgotten thinking it was an SR2 creation). I looked through a bunch of SR2 code to try and find a definition but didn't have any luck... :(

CTS files were old even back on SR1. I think they date back to the original Red Faction or earlier. As far as what the letters stand for, it could be objeCTS. CoordinaTeS, CuTScene, or potentially something completely meaningless. At one point in the distant past, many file extensions had nothing to do with the contents of the file, and instead were arbitrarily pirate-themed. One surviving example from this era is the PEG extension, which I believe was originally short for "peg leg." That was before my time here, though.

CTS files were old even back on SR1. I think they date back to the original Red Faction or earlier. As far as what the letters stand for, it could be objeCTS. CoordinaTeS, CuTScene, or potentially something completely meaningless. At one point in the distant past, many file extensions had nothing to do with the contents of the file, and instead were arbitrarily pirate-themed. One surviving example from this era is the PEG extension, which I believe was originally short for "peg leg." That was before my time here, though.
Hence the Volition Bravos being a pirate ship in Freespace 2? ;)

Back