Weapon skins not displaying to Co-Op partners

This is an unfortunate memory limitation. We didn't have the resources to load high-res textures (which includes the skins) for both players in coop.

There are two types of weapon customization, costumes and skins. The costumes are the mesh changes (ie. pistol in phaser) and the skins are just texture changes (red phaser vs blue phaser).

The costumes should be visible in coop, the skins are sadly not.

EDIT: Memory limitations on the consoles that is. We didn't go back to address this for the PC build where memory is potentially more abundant.

Last edited:
I see.. Didn't know that there are two different types of skins one is just color swap and another is costumes. :( consoles limitations again =_= i wonder will modding fix this problem ? Next gen really needs to start soon.

I see.. Didn't know that there are two different types of skins one is just color swap and another is costumes. :( consoles limitations again =_= i wonder will modding fix this problem ? Next gen really needs to start soon.
I have to admit, I am a bit confused as to why the consoles get to limit the PC version when there isn't co-op between them. I also wonder if this something that can be addressed with modding?

Modding can't fix this problem. I've already had a conversation with Knobby about what changes it would take to allow for this to work correctly, but it is something that has to be a code change.

Edit:
The reason that console limitations affect the PC build is that we generally need to build towards the more restrictive platform and in most circumstances, unless it causes an actual problem, we go for parity of features between all the platforms. It simplifies development and testing but occasionally leads to issues like this.

Our PC specific efforts are usually directed towards hardware and Steam compatibility and not adjusting gameplay. It's also why we don't double or triple the vehicle/ped density just because it's the PC build.

I also don't think you should get your hopes up too high for NextGen. Sure we get a whole lot of memory but it's going to get used up and still require developers to potentially make hard decisions like this.

Last edited:
Shame we can't do anything about it, but I appreciate you sharing some answers behind these things, thank you.
And I think we all appreciate how open Volition has been toward us digging around under the hood of your game. :D

It's not 100% out for a PC patch, but I think someone would need to buy [V] Ramius a civ expansion if he didn't have them all. :) Maybe we can talk him into it.

It's not 100% out for a PC patch, but I think someone would need to buy [V] Ramius a civ expansion if he didn't have them all. :) Maybe we can talk him into it.
Ramius needs to link his Steam account then...

Sadly I'm a big enough CIV nerd that I already have all the expansions :D

Back