Voliton/THQ EULA, SpeedTree, Havoc, and Bink Accesablility

D

Deleted member 191824

You can say what you want about Volition's weird approach at making video games, and/or continuity blunders, they know how to make an everlasting impression in the minds of gamers.

For example before their invention of the "purple car wrecker", or that "super fly foam finger on steroids", There was story and motive to their twisted beautiful world, filled with not only the mirth and whimsy of getting drunk and punching someone out of the Ultor brand sneakers, but with characters and moments that make Saints Row IV and Gat Out of Hell look like a bad fever dream to a majority of old school AND new school fans.

Steve Jaros said that Saints Row IV was like Volition's love song to the fans, but in reality we got side "Diversions" disguised as story missions, Movie References, and a vaguely familiar robot-eye orb-thing.

I'm not here to criticize Volition's game's I'm actually saying that their games have some of the best and innovative use of technology I've seen and I wish people like IGN saw their beautiful use of mechanics and stop calling Saints Row a GTA clone when there were 3D open world games before GTA 3 was ever a thing.

What I'm trying to say is if there were any way of getting back their old assets, tools, kits or whatever legally,
(Not just the Saints Row and Red Faction Games) and gave what they could to the community, It would be more than a love song to SR fans. It would be an ode.

I've seen what people can do on this website and I won't speak for them, because the most I can do is Graphic design, RGB correcting (If given the right tools) and maybe find something new on a command console on a good day. I just feel sad that Volition has it's hands tied with this subject, because they know there could not have been a great game like AOM without the first Saints Row and their tiresome experience with it.

Maybe THQ or another branch that has ties with them would begrudgingly take the time to look through
what they can or can't share, for an entitled short tempered naïve Saints Row O.G. like myself, and the SR community to just marvel at how they made a game that took several XBOX 360 dev kits and the team's sanity
so Volition and/or the community can make something beautiful... That could only be a dream in a world that never was.

Sorry I hate reading too. :|

I feel your nostalgia. Like I said before I won't lie and say I didn't like the games and activities from SRTT, SRIV and GOOH, but storywise it was a bit...sad?
A lovesong for the fans seems more aimed to younger audiences who enjoy the crazy over hyped aspects of SR and movie references, rather than one to those who loved Saints Row since the first game. The ones who loved it and saw it wasn't a 'GTA clone', and the ones who made it grow.

I have found myself writing a story based on SR in my language, changing the cultural references hoping that that will give me some sort on closure, one can only dream Volition actually will give the tool kits legally to create the game that we have been craving, but part of me still believes they'll actually listen next time.

One day :(... Kudos for converting the story in a different culture though. I've always been interested in localization in media. It says something about what the minds comfortable with
in different regions of the world and how it influences the story, characters, and motives to give it a fresh perspective. I hope you find closure dude! I know I won't lol.

Back