Ubisoft Madness

Ok, now, I'm sure many of you have heard of some weird statistics quoted to justify decisions. Even if it is quoted, you get the feeling it's probably made up, or tweaked to give the figures they want, to justify whatever. And then when it fails, they have an out (although everyone was telling them it was dumb the whole way).

Well. Uhm. Ubisoft has kinda.. gone off the rails.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119200-Ubisoft-Puts-PC-Piracy-Rate-at-93-95 is not a joke, presumably. They actually are using that figure to justify making a move to free to play stuff.

It it just me, or does this scream "Wow, there's LOADS of money in this free to pay thing! Let's tap that! But we need a way to convince the stockholders. ...I know! Quick, a number between 50 and 100!" "er, 93?" "Perfect!" :eek:

And how much do you want to bet THQ will try this? They're already doing 95% via dlc spam... :rolleyes:

Anyone talking concrete piracy statistics is simply trying to shift the blame for lower than expected sales by quoting some mystery numbers that have no basis in fact or reality. What amazes me is that they still persist in their bullshit despite being called out on it by everyone.

Anyone talking concrete piracy statistics is simply trying to shift the blame for lower than expected sales by quoting some mystery numbers that have no basis in fact or reality. What amazes me is that they still persist in their bullshit despite being called out on it by everyone.
The other major part of the anti-piracy madness is their mad idea that every pirated game is somehow a lost sale. This is just complete bullshit.

I was thinking about that.. what it feels like is they said "Well, assuming every owner of a console/computer buys our game, the fact that we didn't sell to them all implies they pirated the game!"
That would give you a 95% piracy rate, maybe. Assuming you assumed something that weird and obviously wrong.

I've already commented here before on my thoughts about 'piracy statistics'... but this one stands out because of the sheer mind-boggling audacity of trying to insist it's somehow a 95% RATE!

Back