Swapping Enemy Gang NPCs with other in-game NPCs

Does anyone know if it is possible to swap enemy gang npcs with other npcs from the game? I had seen in a thread on the "Freckle Bitch's Gangstyle Mod" how Homie gang npcs could be swapped by changing the cmeshx, morphx, pcmx, and simx files of the npc you want to change (cha.xtbl files only) with the one you want to use. I did this with the Ronin male, female soldiers and lieutenants, but in-game they show up invisible, with only the weapons they carry being seen. Has anyone else attempted this with success (if so how), or is this not yet possible?

I assume you are using GOTR? If not, then im not sure if I can help you. If so, then here are the steps I took to replace the male Ronin soldiers with the FBI. I believe you can do the same with any character models in the game but I will be replacing npc_ronin_male_soldier with npc_fbi as an example.
  1. Download Minimaul's Saints Row Tools: https://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum...saints-row-iv-and-gat-out-of-hell-tools.3188/
  2. Find these files: textures.vpp_pc, pegs.vpp_pc, common.vpp_pc and meshes.vpp_pc.( They should all be located in your SR2 directory.)
  3. Once you finished installing and extracting the tools, drag all of the files above one at a time into ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.ExtractPackfile.exe found in the newly created ThomasJepp.SaintsRow-rev132 folder. This should create 3 extracted versions of the files in your SR2 directory.
  4. Open up your GOTR 1-MODDERS_-_PUT_YOUR_OWN_PERSONAL_MODS_HERE folder. (its located in optional_mod_stuff in your Gentlemen_of_the_Row_Saints_Row_2_Super_Mod_v1.9.2 folder.)
  5. Search through all of the extracted files in your SR2 directory until find npc_fbi.cmesh_pc, npc_fbi.g_cmesh_pc, npc_fbi.g_peg_pc, npc_fbi.morph_pc, npc_fbi.pcm_pc, npc_fbi.peg_pc, npc_fbi.sim_pc and npc_fbi.xtbl and put all of these in the personal mods folder.
  6. Rename all of the files in the personal mods folder replacing npc_fbi with npc_ronin_male_soldier
  7. Find npc_ronin_male_soldier.xtbl in the personal mods and open it with notepad or any other text editing program.
  8. On the fourth line of code you should see <Name>npc_fbi</Name> replace this with <Name>npc_ronin_male_soldier</Name>
  9. Download this tool: https://github.com/volition-inc/Shaundis-Secret-Stash/tree/master/tools/npc_cruncher
  10. After you install the npc cruncher, you need to create a .cvtf file to match the edited npc_ronin_male_soldier.xtbl file. Follow this tutorial: https://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/how-to-use-npc-cruncher-tool.14304/ If you have issues with this tutorial, put this code into the batch file instead and don't run as administrator:
    Code:
    sr2_npc_table_crunch.exe -output_name npc_ronin_female_soldier.cvtf -variant_table tables\npc_ronin_female_soldier.xtbl
    pause
  11. Put both the npc_ronin_male_soldier.xtbl and npc_ronin_male_soldier.cvtf in with the rest of the files in your personal mods folder, create a new GOTR patch, and play the game.
All you would have to do is replace all Ronin npc types (Female, Male, lieutenant.)
If you don't understand the directions or are stuck on a specific step please message me with what step you got stuck on and why. I'll be happy to help. Most of the time.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for the detailed instruction. I had given up on this thread after posting it awhile a go. I have been using GOTR to attempt these npc swaps, along with most of the tools you mentioned. I will try this as soon as I can. Very much appreciated and Happy New Year to you;)!

Back