Steam overlay

It took me a long time, but I finally managed to get SR2 running on my computer. The Steam overlay, however, will not work and my files fail to sync with Steam. Is this an issue with running in compatibility mode?

Steam overlay problems usually have something to do with Direct X, but I'm not sure what else to tell you. Does it work when you don't run it in compatibility mode? Also, I believe that SR2 doesn't even have cloud sync support.

Yep, it works when I'm not running in compatibility mode, but the game lags horribly when I don't. Cloud sync isn't a problem (then again, the overlay isn't that important either), since I back up most of my games on flash drives anyway, but I just wanted to know why an error message about it failing appeared every time I played.
Also, thanks for all your lag fixes, IdolNinja. I found a few in a google search for fixes and they all helped :)

I would suggest going into options and just turning off cloud sync for SR2 then. The steam overlay issue is almost certainly related to compatibility mode if it's working fine when running the game normally. In all honesty, SR2 is one of those games where simply getting it to run at all is an achievement, and you kind of have to just live with the quirks and oddities.

Also, the SR2 PC FAQ that I wrote up on the Steam forums is a comprehensive document of all known fixes and performance tweaks if you haven't seen it yet:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1715922

I never had any crashing until I played with the screen resolution, then the game wouldn't even start. I forced it to 1360 x 768 using the Gibbed resolution editor and that fixed it. And yes, I've seen the FAQ. It was very helpful thanks :) same with the prefetch fix.

Back