SR4 Rebooting PC (Shouldn't be a heat issue)

When playing SR4 (No other games have ever done this and it doesn't appear to be heat, as the heat for my CPU cores and GPU seem to be in fine ranges), I get random reboots. System goes fully dead, then it reboots and comes back. The last time this happened, my saves were gone, too... so I'd like to throw in my specs and hope something comes of this with a patch because it was very disheartening to lose any and all progress I had made, on top of never knowing when it's going to reboot.

CPU: Intel i5-3570 quad core
RAM: 8 GB of RAM
GPU: EVGA GTX680
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD65

I was using older display drivers but have also upgraded to the latest betas (326.80) and it's still happening (With older display drivers, newer whql and the newest beta). The game itself runs fine, but this is killing me when it comes to not knowing if I will reboot AND the thought of losing my save again. The game is NOT installed on my C: drive, which is a smaller SSD.

I've attached the output as IdolNinja has requested.

Attachments

• Masaki Andou System Info.txt
    564.2 KB · Views: 638
Last edited:
Please run msinfo32 and attach the text output to your post.

I'd like to add that, if I could, I would use the event manager to view and give any crash logs, but they simply aren't there. There's no crash events in the event manager from that day from Saint's Row 4, so I have no idea what else to give, information wise. :(

I've got the same problem, the game just makes my system reboot randomly. Sometimes it hard freezes and keeps playing audio for a couple seconds before stuttering the audio and I have to turn if off myself, but usually it just reboots. I've tried underclocking my videocard (ATI 6950), same thing, and the temps on the card are low when it happens (70 degrees or so). No other games do this, and I've run FurMark for an hour or so just fine, and that makes the card way hotter. Also no crash dumps (I had it freeze once and just have the game die instead of my whole system and that did generate an event log, but I have a feeling that was unrelated). The crashes happen randomly (sometimes in a mission, sometimes in a shop, sometimes just wandering around, sometimes after playing for 20 or 30 minutes, sometimes almost immediately upon entering the game). I've used ATI's beta drivers as well as the latest non-beta release.

Masaki - turn off Steam cloud syncing for your saved games and you'll get around the issue with losing progress, I think Steam pulls down an earlier save when it doesn't shut down correctly. Turning off cloud sync will stop that.

Attachments

• nfo.txt
    1.3 MB · Views: 510
I'll do that, thanks. I haven't wanted to even start again until I got this ironed out, so I've been playing some other stuff (But I really want to play SR4!!) It was just disheartening to lose a bunch of progress and have everything gone, haha. Yeah, I suspect it might have been steam cloud business but I will do that moving forward. Doesn't help me THIS time, but hopefully it should avoid it in the future!

And while I'm not glad for crashes or someone having this misery, I'm glad to know I'm not totally alone, lol.

What size power supplies are you guys running?

Actually thought it might be a power thing so I just got a new Antec 620 watt, but it's still happening. CPU temp monitoring shows it running in the 60's when it crashes, so it doesn't appear to be the CPU getting too hot either. Ran memtest86+ overnight with no reported problems. Kinda stumped now....

i actually went through the same problem, my comp isn't amazing but has never had any problems when it comes to "specs". The only thing my computer was simply not able to handle was turning on the "windy hair" setting on tomb raider. (Which was a Beastly setting that even hardcore comps could not turn on without losing a chunk of fps)

i said that because i have found the culprit tho, or I should say I can narrow it down for you.
When I played saints row for the first few hours it was all fine and dandy, but after a while my comp was bringing restarted without any events showing up in event monitor.

Now if I play the game on high or ultra graphic settings (the game runs smooth as ever) but my comp will restart itself within about 20-30 minutes.
If I play the game on medium graphics setting I can play the game for hours without a problem
(also just to be specific, I have vsync on when I play on medium)

So the problem is most likely coming from the settings that change when you go from medium to high quality graphics.
(As in the setting not acting like its supposed to when it changes, im not saying your computer can't handle the higher settings.)

As for the missing saves, the save file will still be there its just not being recognized by the game. So go to the directory & make a backup of all the saves that currently do not work.
Then empty the save folder, start a new game & save as soon as your able (will say prologue not complete)
Exit the game, go to the same save directory as before & you will see 3 files.

1 of the files will have 00 in the middle of the name, delete that file.
Then copy your backup save to the folder & rename it to match the file you just deleted, the only difference between the files is the "00" "01" ext ext. (THE SAVE WILL NOT WORK IF YOU DON'T RENAME THE NEW SAVE TO "00")

Start up the game, go to load and IT WILL DISCOURAGE YOU by showing the save title as "prologue not complete" but when you load the file it will actually load the save you just replaced it with.

Hi,
a friend of mine has the same Problem Computer is restarting in the Prologue Mission with no error Message.
We tried Solo and Coop both same restart issue.
Everytime on the same place where the Explosions begin.

The only error we found is this:
The description for Event ID 1 from source NvStreamSvc cannot be found. Either the component that

raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
The following information was included with the event:
NvStreamSvc
Unregistering VAD endpoint [0]

we tried to disable NvStreamSvc but didnt helped, tried diffrent GeForce drivers still restart.
The Problem only occurs with Saints Row. Every other game works without problems.

Hope you can help us out.

Sorry for my bad english native language is not english.

Attachments

• msinfo32.txt
    1.5 MB · Views: 628
Back