SR2 Stilwater Import?

Hello All.

This one is a bit ambitious, but I'm wondering how compatible the SR2 maps, textures et al are to SR3. I'm not talking total conversion, more like total addition.

The working elevators mod (props to Quantum) has the train stations sort of working; they allow you to teleport between stations. I'm wondering if we can't extend that a little. What if the SR2 map could be accessed via a Steelport train station instead? You could take the train between cities, at which point the map 'swaps out' to Stilwater.

There would be a lot that would have to be modified in the Stilwater city map, and activities would have to be changed to be compatible with SRTT, but initially even if you could just go 'home' and wander about a city populated with people and vehicles, no activities or such (as a first phase), then take another teleport point back to Steelport, it would allow one to explore both cities.

The first question is whether or not this is even possible. Are the map and texture resources in SR2 in any way compatible with SRTT? I know some modders have put out mods for both games, so I'm hoping someone would know. I understand that there are no map editors available for either game but if there is an equivalent of a SR2_city.lua file in SR2, then it may well be that in the future the Stilwater map could be populated with events. Even without that, changing pedestrian and vehicle spawns and activity seems to be possible within SRTT so if the map and event spawning of SR2 is compatible enough, perhaps this is possible?

Happy to be told if this is too ambitious, but I don't own SR2 so I haven't seen the file structures yet and I'm going on the strong similarities between a lot of the resources in SRTT and SRIV right now. I don't know how closely (if at all) a template was followed between SR2 and SRTT.

Thoughts?
tjb910

That's a great idea, but unfortunately we don't have any tools to modify the map for any of the Saints Row games, so this would be impossible. :(
I wish we could do things like that too. Also, the formats of the maps and textures in Saints Row 2 and Saints Row 3 are very different, because the engines are very different.

Thanks Quantum; I thought that was the answer but it doesn't hurt to check. :) I've seen that Volition have also had a presence here, but I can only assume that they're not about to release more dev tools for the older games either which is a real shame, even though I understand that from a commercial perspective.

Great work on your mods BTW, I use several of them myself. I'm not a texture or binary file modder (I'm a scripter from way back) so it's been great to see more binary oriented modders on the boards. I've actually been trying to figure out this whole asm_pc file thing because I wanted to take the easy activities mod and integrate it with your working elevators mod (the stream_grid.asm_pc file is the sticking point). I've tried the ASMUpdater tools, but (and I'll be candid here) I have no idea what I'm doing. Is there an easy way to explain what I need to do to get both mods integrated using that file?

Thanks in Advance.

Back