deleted

I'm just playing through this with my girlfriend right now, both of us are running Win7, though I've got an AMD processor on my end. We were having pretty serious crash issues for a bit as well, until we used BCDEdit to enable the UsePlatformClock option. To do that, you run a command prompt as Administrator and enter the following command: "bcdedit /set useplatformclock true". Then you reboot. Once we both did that the crashing became a lot less frequent, as did the weird sync issues we'd been having when driving.

One important note: we both are NOT using Powertools, since the BCDEdit setting fixed our speed problems. I suspect you shouldn't run the two at the same time, so try that first.

Another important note: the game WILL still crash eventually, period. We've yet to have a single session longer than a few hours where it didn't crash. Generally you can expect one every two hours on average, but that's ON AVERAGE. Could be three hours between, could be half an hour. SAVE AFTER EVERY MISSION AND EVERY STAGE OF ANY ACTIVITY.

One final thing that may or may not help: we've both used Nvidia Inspector to enable the hidden Framerate Limit option for the game's Nvidia driver profile, setting it to 30fps. We did it to fix some animation issues we were having with cutscenes (attachments detaching and floating weirdly), but afterward my girlfriend seemed to crash a bit less. You can do the same thing with Radeon drivers using a different tool (the name escapes me), but whatever the case adding a 30fps frame limit may help.

Hopefully it works for you. Keep in mind that after it's done you may want to disable the UsePlatformClock option, at least if other programs start running slower. The option to disable it is "bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock"

Before you do that though, check your BIOS and see if you have an option for HPET (High Precision Event Timer) under CPU options. If it's not enabled, enable it. You may actually see some overall performance boosts, since UsePlatformClock forces use of whatever system clock your BIOS uses, and HPET is rather peppy compared to the normal Windows system timer. Conversely, it may actually SLOW things depending on your setup (though with an i5 and an i7 I doubt it), so do keep an eye on it.

For most modern graphics cards the settings don't affect framerate much beyond flat out disabling dynamic lighting, which makes the game look like crap. I have a 560 GTS TI 2gb and I notice maybe a 1-3fps difference between having only dynamic lighting on and having literally everything maxed. I use something down the middle for my personal preferences.

As far as HDR causing problems, I've run the game with it disabled and enabled and I haven't noticed any real difference other than it looking a bit prettier. I'm currently running with it on and it's as stable as it's ever been.

Oh crap! I just realized we can't play LAN anymore, we are in different areas. Now that gamespy is dead, how do I use ONLINE?
Or should I just do a VPN?
A VPN of some type is the only way to do it, yeah. EvolveHQ does list SR2 as officially supported, but some people have serious issues getting it to connect and the workaround is rather complicated. It's probably the easiest to use if it works, but you may want a fallback.

ANNNNNNNNNNNND coincidentally, Tunngle is available as a fallback. When I've used it it's worked well, though unless you pay for it the client is littered with advertisements. They can be a bit annoying, but they don't interfere with the game itself. One important note: make sure when you create a Tunngle network/room/thing in the client you use a "192.168.x.*", "172.16.x.*", or "10.x.x.*" network. As far as I know, Saints Row will ONLY check for LAN games in those ranges. It may not work on the "10.x.x.*" range, I haven't tested.

One final bit of advice I have is to adjust the priority of your network adapters, specifically putting the Tunngle/Evolve adapter at the top so that Saints Row checks it first. Microsoft has a surprisingly useful guide on how to do this which works for Windows Vista and up. Do that and you should have a much easier time connecting.

How long have you waited? Depending on your connection speed it may take a significant period of time, since it behaves as though you are using 100M LAN rather than (guessing) 1-5M upload internet.

You can always try having your friend start the game, get past initial setup, then you join their game. That tends to work for many other games

I'm just playing through this with my girlfriend right now, both of us are running Win7, though I've got an AMD processor on my end. We were having pretty serious crash issues for a bit as well, until we used BCDEdit to enable the UsePlatformClock option. To do that, you run a command prompt as Administrator and enter the following command: "bcdedit /set useplatformclock true". Then you reboot. Once we both did that the crashing became a lot less frequent, as did the weird sync issues we'd been having when driving.
This only works on a certain few systems and quite often still doesn't actually get the game to the "right" speed in all circumstances - it's a bit more broken internally than just this :(

It is really a shame the devs are not allowed to fix it as is
The SR2 PC port was done by part of CD Projekt and was organised by THQ - Volition weren't involved and it seems that they don't even have the source code for the PC port so they'd have to port it from scratch - a lot of work :(

Back