Small (and big) changes that would aid replayability

Do you agree that these changes would add replayability and rpg-like elements?

• Yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What?

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
So I recently decided to see what it would be like to play SR3 as an RPG, denying myself any damage or notority reducing upgrades, no scumming militairy vehicles to beat missions, and doing the side missions before I move up onto the high level part of the story... and it worked out great, turns out this game actually makes a better rpg than it does a third person shooter.

Now there are a few changes that I'll list in order of feasabiltiy of modding in that would do a pretty good job of fleshing out that rpg element and give the game a lot more single player replayability than it does now.
  • Make the following perks unobtainable (Or too pricey to ever buy if flat out disabling them is not an option)
    -100% damage reduction of any kind
    -infinite ammo of any kind
    -summoning of any vehicle other than than ones you already own or saints vehicles
    -all health/regen upgrades
  • The follow on for this would be too make all perks and weapon/car upgrades more expensive and frankly theres probably a mod for this that I haven't noticed but I feel they don't go far enough, if I want a laser guidance system for my RPG I should have too drop the huge amount of cash associated with any kind of military grade guidance system.
  • Vehicle handling, I belive this is already part of the GOTR mod that makes cars less arcadey but I'm putting it here for the sake of completenss of describing the idea.
  • Area based gang notority, the game already detects when the player is in a certain district, this can be seen in the car theft side missions and professor genki's spawning. Gang notority going down more slowly in gang controlled areas and perhaps having automatic gang notority upon entering certain districts (while they're controlled). This would add a much greater sense of progression as new areas are taken over as well as making the city feel more hostile to the saints at the start
  • Instant 1 badge notority if a cop sees you running around with anything bigger than a melee weapon or a pistol.
  • No more infinite vehciles (now into 'maybe not even possible' teritory)
    If I get my custom ride blown up or leave it lying around somewhere then it should be gone, perhaps this could be achieved by making withdrawing a car from a garge also delete that entry so the car is gone until you put it back in. This would help add a feeling of value to customised vehicles, give the player a reason to stockpile multiple of one vehicle and greatly reduce the ability to spam spam infinite tanks and attack choppers to just bulldoze otherwise challenging content.
I feel that the first three on this list are very achievable and could well be cobbled together out of existing content on this site, bottom three are a little harder but I belive could all be made to work using systems already in the game. Saints Row the Third is a great base, a good shooter and even a mediocre rpg when played as such, with just a few tweaks I really feel it could be both a great shooter AND a great rpg rather than a shooter that just happens to be set in an open world.

Back