Saints Row the Third mod file redirector

This is the SRTT version of my mod file redirector for SRIV.

I have written an utility that allows you to specify the directory in which you place any Saints Row the Third mod files, instead of putting them in the usual SRTT program directory. This means that any loose mod files are neater as they aren't mixed up with the game files and modders can quickly switch between mods without having to move files around.

It works by hooking the steam_api.dll and intercepting any filing system calls. If the file name is a mod file then it gets redirected to your specified directory. You can set 2 levels of redirection. So you can have a shared base directory and a test directory.

You can specify the directory of the mod files by using the SRTT command line. i.e. in Steam select properties then Set Launch Options ...

The syntax is:

-loosebase:<path of the base directory file>

This sets the base directory for your mods. You can set it to -loosebase: if you wish to use the vanilla directory for the base i.e. the Saints Row root directory.

-loose:<path of the loose mod files directory>

This will set the directory for the second level of redirection. The game will look in this directory first. If the file doesn't exist then it will look in the base directory. Finally if the file is a vpp_pc file and it doesn't exist in the base folder it will look in the game's vanilla packfiles\pc\cache\ folder.

If you set the -loose directory but not the -loosebase directory, the game will use the -loose directory as the -loosebase directory.

-looselist:<file path of the mod file directory list file>

This will allow you to use a simple text file to tell the game which directories to look for mod files in. The text file is just a list of directories, with each directory on it's own line. The first directory in the list has the highest priority, with the priority decreasing as it goes down the list.

If you wish to include the vanilla directory in the search then type a single period "." for the directory and it will search the default Saints Row directory.

Using -looselist will override the -loose and -loosebase settings. However it will be overidden when using the -vanilla parameter.

If the file you specify doesn't exist or is blank then the game will act as if you used the -vanilla parameter. Adding this parameter will override all other parameters.

-vanilla

This will stop the game from loading any mod files including any in the vanilla game directory. Basically it will start the game completely unmodded.
{It won't work with any vpp_pc files that have been altered in the vanilla game's directory).

Adding this parameter will override all other parameters.

Please make sure you follow the installation instructions in the read me properly i.e. make sure you rename steam_api.dll to steam_old.dll before copying over the new steam_api.dll file.

This is very much an experts only utility so if any of the above doesn't make sense it probably not for you.

I've created a GitHub repository for the project. This will contain the most up to date version of the source code and as such may not be stable. (It's basically the code I'm currently testing). Any stable releases I'll post to the forum.

The current version is version 3.

Attachments

• SR3 Redirection v1.7z
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,164
  • SR3 Redirection v2.7z
    33 KB · Views: 1,089
  • SR3 Redirection v3.7z
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,221
Last edited:
I have uploaded the Saints Row the Third version of the latest version of my mod file redirector as requested. (Version 2). I haven't included the source code this time as it is essentially the same as the SRIV redirector source code. (You just have to set one define).

I have also added a file description to the steam_api.dll file (check the file properties) so you don't get confused as to which version you are using.

Updated to version 3. Saints Row the Third players can now use -looselist.

Back