Saints Row Reboot Tool (Extract/Patch)

Update: I am no longer working on tools/mods for the Saints Row Reboot. I will leave this up for now if anyone gets any use out of it.

This is a little tool I made for modding the new Saints Row. For now, the tool extracts files in a specified directory, and can patch the game files with modified files when they are placed in a mod_data folder in the sr5 folder

To run the tool, click on gui.exe

Extraction

Select the input directory with your vpp_pc or str2_pc files in it. If you select the whole data directory in sr5 (the default), make sure you have at least 50GB of space for all the extracted files (and it can take a long time too).

With Enable Recursive checked all the files inside the str2_pc files inside the vpp_pc will be extracted (the str2_pc files themselves will not be saved)

extract.png

Patch (Experimental)

This will allow you to load modified game files by placing them in a mod_data directory. Information about the file structure and files that are patched will be stored in a mod_config folder (you shouldn't have to do anything with that).

Disclaimer: This is still a work in progress, and while unpatching worked for me restoring everything back to normal, if you manage to mess up your game don't say I didn't warn you. (Manage->Verify Files in the Epic Games launcher will fix everything if you somehow break it).

patch.png

Patch - will patch game files with data in mod_data, and update patched file information in mod_config
Open Mod Folder
- will open mod_data in sr5 and create it if it doesn't exist
Unpatch - will read data in mod_config and remove all applied patches (reset game back to normal)

Example: My main menu mod in mod_data. The files can be in any folder you want,
as long as the folders are inside mod_data. Running Patch will load this file in the game
and running Unpatch will put the menu music back to normal.
photo3.png

File Types:
I get a lot of questions about the many different file formats inside the packfiles. Honestly, I don't know much about most of them. The wem_pad audio files can be converted with ww2ogg and revorb,
ww2ogg.exe --pcb packed_codebooks_aoTuV_603.bin 831564779.wem_pad
and repacked with wwise tools (here's a useful reference). Rename the output file from .wem to .wem_pad

The source code is included in the attached zip, you can also view my Github repo for the project here (which has all old versions as well):

This is still very much a work in progress, so please let me know if you run into any issues!

Changelog
v0.3.1 (9/12/2022)
- Small patch fix
v0.3.0 (9/11/2022)
- Add patching support
- Small bug fixes
v0.2.1 (9/9/2022)
- Fix issue with the recursive button
v0.2.0
(9/4/2022)
- Fixes issue with compressed str2_pc extraction
- Makes recursive extraction optional
- Small QOL fixes
v0.1.0 (9/2/2022)
- Initial release

Attachments

• SRRebootTools0.3.1.zip
    17.6 MB · Views: 1,320
Last edited:
Thanks for this tool! I extracted already all but the extracted files are still .pc files so i can not edit them. will it be editable in future?

Thanks for the vehicle. Does anyone know where the language files of this game are.
I opened all the archives but couldn't find the language files.

Thanks for this tool! I extracted already all but the extracted files are still .pc files so i can not edit them. will it be editable in future?
I'm still working on figuring out all the internal files. For example, I do know the .wem_pad files the audio files and can be converted with ww2ogg and then repacked with wwise tools.
ww2ogg.exe --pcb packed_codebooks_aoTuV_603.bin 831564779.wem_pad
That command will generate an ogg, then use revorb.exe to clean it up. This guide will tell you how to regenerate the .wem file then just rename the .wem to .wem_pad.

With the cvbm_pc and gvbm_pc textures you can try the other tool I have posted (the modified version of the scanti tools), but it might not work for all the textures, and once I figure out the last couple formats I'll probably just rewrite it as part of this tool.

Regardless, I want to get either loose file mods or patching working, because otherwise none of this matters, then I'll make a guide on the formats I have figured out so far. Hopefully I can make good progress this weekend (I have labor day off). I have a busy week of work next week so probably won't have much time during the week, so getting what I can done now.

Last edited:
This is the first part of what I intend to be a versatile tool for modding the new Saints Row. For now, the tool extracts all the files in the vpp_pc in a specified folder and extracts all the str2_pc files inside those.

For right now, we don't have any way to completely repack the files. It would be great if we could make the game accept loose mod files, however, if I can't get loose file mods to work, I will soon release a patching tool (my main menu music mod uses a very rough draft of the tool) to allow modding to get started here.

Anyway, this extraction tool is pretty easy to use. Click on gui.exe, select the input directory with your vpp_pc files in it. If you select the whole data directory in sr5 (the default), make sure you have at least 50GB of space for all the extracted files (and it can take a long time too).

With enable recursive, all the str2_pc files inside the vpp_pc will be extracted as well into the same directory and the str2_pc files will be removed

View attachment 33260

This is still very much a work in progress, so please let me know if you run into any issues!

The source code is included in the attached zip, you can also view my Github repo for the project here:

Changelog
v0.1.0
- Initial release
v0.2.0
- Fixes issue with compressed str2_pc extraction
- Makes recursive extraction optional
- Small QOL fixes
Awesome work. Looking at the files to find where I can mod the camera and work on a first person mod :). Waiting for the editing and repacking update. Thanks for the hard work.

I'm still working on figuring out all the internal files. For example, I do know the .wem_pad files the audio files and can be converted with ww2ogg and then repacked with wwise tools.

That command will generate an ogg, then use revorb.exe to clean it up. This guide will tell you how to regenerate the .wem file then just rename the .wem to .wem_pad.

With the cvbm_pc and gvbm_pc textures you can try the other tool I have posted (the modified version of the scanti tools), but it might not work for all the textures, and once I figure out the last couple formats I'll probably just rewrite it as part of this tool.

Regardless, I want to get either loose file mods or patching working, because otherwise none of this matters, then I'll make a guide on the formats I have figured out so far. Hopefully I can make good progress this weekend (I have labor day off). I have a busy week of work next week so probably won't have much time during the week, so getting what I can done now.
I just want asking if its possible in future for example edit weapons such as increase firerate or something like that. take your time and of course thanks for your hard work

Will there be an import? We will be very happy if you do. Also can you make a tool that outputs text files?

I've got it all unpacked and the overall sorting reminds me of what I remember from SR3 and 4 modding. Did they change the table files away from .xtbl files?

Hey everyone, I've been talking to some other people who have made good progress on repacking (more than me), so I'm working with them to see if we can get it working. The vpkg and lua files are text files.

Thank you. But the text files look like _pad files in the "scribe" folder. Example ''ui_pause_menu.en.scribe_pad''.
These are the language files for the game, right?

Back