Saints Row 4 refused classification in Australia

Saint’s Row 4, an open-world action adventure video game expected to sell millions around the world, has been refused classification by the Australian Classification Board (ACB), meaning it cannot be sold in retail stores in Australia.
The ACB decision marks the first time a video game has been refused classification under new guidelines which include an R18+ option.

A statement released by the board said: “In the Board’s opinion, Saints Row IV, includes interactive, visual depictions of implied sexual violence which are not justified by context.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/jun/25/saints-row-4-refused-classification-australia

Pretty disappointing this is still happening despite our 18+ rating, but there is some good news -- Volition are "reworking" the censored content for us so we can still play it:
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/25/saints-row-4-refused-classification-in-australia-volition-rewo/

To anyone in the know: will this censorship inhibit a modders ability to mod the Australian version of the game? I suppose it depends on the type of content that's censored, (gameplay, cutscene, et al.) but I wouldn't know.

Pretty disappointing this is still happening despite our 18+ rating, but there is some good news -- Volition are "reworking" the censored content for us so we can still play it:
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/25/saints-row-4-refused-classification-in-australia-volition-rewo/

To anyone in the know: will this censorship inhibit a modders ability to mod the Australian version of the game? I suppose it depends on the type of content that's censored, (gameplay, cutscene, et al.) but I wouldn't know.

In the past it has caused problems with mods being incompatible with censored versions, though this was mostly with the huge changes in the German version of SR2.

In the past it has caused problems with mods being incompatible with censored versions, though this was mostly with the huge changes in the German version of SR2.

In that case, I just hope Volition doesn't have to drastically change too much to cater to the ratings board.

I'm not sure if this is the type of thing that would fall under your assumed non-disclosure agreement with Volition/Deep Silver, but in-terms of SR4's apparent explicit content, is it as gratuitous as SR3's, or worse? I ask because SR3 got through uncut, on our 15+ rating and I'm trying to gauge the level of censorship the game might undergo.

you know i was so happy to see that r18 classification for the first time on the last of us.... now to hear that it hasn't really changed much an games are still being banned im really annoyed its just a game these laws are really frustrating to me im probably gona have to get some 1 to buy the uncut version on steam for me like iv done with left for dead or buy ps3 version over seas or not buy it i don't care for censored games, if anyone remembers left for deads australian censor it was horrible and not necessary.

I hope they don't do that in the Italian version.
It seems that in Europe we will have the videogame as it is. I'm reading around that in Australia, this strict form of censorship is an old story, so we in Europe should not worry.
But is still unfortunate :(

I love when the Boss does drugs. And in real life I'm totally against drugs, cannabis(smoke) included.

so in the process of explaining the ban, a new weapon was revealed (although technically it was leaked back in the EtD press release on April Fools)

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/06/an...why-saints-row-iv-was-refused-classification/

The game includes a weapon referred to by the Applicant as an “Alien Anal Probe”. The Applicant states that this weapon can be “shoved into enemy’s backsides”. The lower half of the weapon resembles a sword hilt and the upper part contains prong-like appendages which circle around what appears to be a large dildo which runs down the centre of the weapon. When using this weapon the player approaches a (clothed) victim from behind and thrusts the weapon between the victim’s legs and then lifts them off the ground before pulling a trigger which launches the victim into the air. After the probe has been implicitly inserted into the victim’s anus the area around their buttocks becomes pixelated highlighting that the aim of the weapon is to penetrate the victim’s anus. The weapon can be used during gameplay on enemy characters or civilians. In the Board’s opinion, a weapon designed to penetrate the anus of enemy characters and civilians constitutes a visual depiction of implied sexual violence that is interactive and not justified by context and as such the game should be Refused Classification.

Back