Saints Row 2 Saints Row 2 Mega Patch is coming... I hope

That is correct.
well that really, really sucks. is it just because the project was as woefully underbudgeted as it was understaffed so some people just had to step up and work for free to get it out the door? or was it always like that, no one at the company was actually getting paid for working on what will essentially be SR2: Complete Edition for pc? like i thought Minimaul had a contract at least, but i hear he's not in the project anymore

It was a voluntary passion project by IdolNinja since the start. Before his passing he made arrangements to assure it would still happen without him. Fellow devs stepped up to see it through, but the studio's focus is on the reboot.

It was a voluntary passion project by IdolNinja since the start. Before his passing he made arrangements to assure it would still happen without him. Fellow devs stepped up to see it through, but the studio's focus is on the reboot.
you're right that Mike was the driving force here out of his own free will of course, but it's not exactly just a passion project anymore when the companies involved are going to be making money off of it, and they absolutely will. like i know you couldn't have kept him away from it even if you tried, but this honestly casts a very dim light on the leadership at V (or Deep Silver, or whatever) if they think paying people for all this work wasn't worth it or that it wasn't important, or whatever. this isn't exactly something like the mod tools thing from years back, this is the complete version of the game coming to PC for the first time and something the sr community (that the company claims to love) has wanted for a long, long time. and asked for it very, very loudly and incessantly.

like i've never been more excited about a game (re)release in my whole life and im incredibly grateful to all the people at V who did and do still work on this, it was very sweet of Watson's coworkers to promise him they'll pick the project back up on their own time. but man if the way this was apparently (not) handled by the people in charge doesn't sour me on the company as a whole real bad.

you're right that Mike was the driving force here out of his own free will of course, but it's not exactly just a passion project anymore when the companies involved are going to be making money off of it, and they absolutely will. like i know you couldn't have kept him away from it even if you tried, but this honestly casts a very dim light on the leadership at V (or Deep Silver, or whatever) if they think paying people for all this work wasn't worth it or that it wasn't important, or whatever. this isn't exactly something like the mod tools thing from years back, this is the complete version of the game coming to PC for the first time and something the sr community (that the company claims to love) has wanted for a long, long time. and asked for it very, very loudly and incessantly.

like i've never been more excited about a game (re)release in my whole life and im incredibly grateful to all the people at V who did and do still work on this, it was very sweet of Watson's coworkers to promise him they'll pick the project back up on their own time. but man if the way this was apparently (not) handled by the people in charge doesn't sour me on the company as a whole real bad.
They never stated any plans to profit off of it, they're very much still going to make it free for current owners of SR2.

yes, free for current owners. that implies new players will still have to pay for it.
I mean that's how online stores work.... the new players will also be getting the updated version of the game....

You can buy SR2 for 10 bucks on Steam now, and then when the patch is out, you can buy the patched game instead. But if you already own it, the patched version is free, and every 2 or 3 months, SR2 is on sale for $3.

I mean that's how online stores work.... the new players will also be getting the updated version of the game....
usually employees who work on those updated versions also get paid for their time. apparently not the case here.

You can buy SR2 for 10 bucks on Steam now, and then when the patch is out, you can buy the patched game instead. But if you already own it, the patched version is free, and every 2 or 3 months, SR2 is on sale for $3.
you both are missing the point here, it doesn't matter that you can get it now and that it won't cost much when it's actually out, the company will be profiting off of their employees' free time. if it's a product they'll be selling, the employees should've been compensated for their work from the start. this is such a highly requested thing too that so many people are looking forward to, it's honestly goddamn appalling. heartbreaking too.

usually employees who work on those updated versions also get paid for their time. apparently not the case here.

you both are missing the point here, it doesn't matter that you can get it now and that it won't cost much when it's actually out, the company will be profiting off of their employees' free time. if it's a product they'll be selling, the employees should've been compensated for their work from the start. this is such a highly requested thing too that so many people are looking forward to, it's honestly goddamn appalling. heartbreaking too.
Nobody is missing the point, they're literally doing it out of love and not working for free. They made a promise to Idol and are simply sticking to that promise, if they weren't going to get paid for working on it then they would've been abandoned the project. Also Volition would've also been under fire for something like that. If you would pay attention to social media and dev comments then you'd know this.

It was IdolNinja's idea. He wanted to oversee the project himself as something that he was very passionate about instead it being outsourced to some other studio where they could potentially fuck it up (like it originally happened with the PC port). Also, so it could release for free for all the owners instead of forcing them to pay for it. Most of the devs working on it now are working it by their own choice, nobody is forced into it against their will. They want to see the fix released out of respect and memory of Mike.
the company will be profiting off of their employees' free time. if it's a product they'll be selling, the employees should've been compensated for their work from the start
They're not making the patch with an intention to sell it. They earned their money off of it selling the original version released 13 years ago. They are simply fixing the issues that should've been fixed back in 2009, not remastering it with an intention to sell it for $40 dollars. We don't even know if they'll raise the price of the game or will it stay $10. Its same as when they were patching AOM 90 days after release, they are simply adding fixes to the game that should've been in on the launch.

Back