Saints row 2 can't play co-op

I'm trying to play co-op with my friend,I can see the server he created and when I try to join I wait for a minute and then and error pops up telling me "Unable to connect to the game" or something like that.We both have good internet connection and live in the same city and we also have gamespy accounts,so what's the problem?

Can either one of you connect to other games? You need to open/forward port 4200 as well. Also, try hosting with no password.

Can either one of you connect to other games? You need to open/forward port 4200 as well. Also, try hosting with no password.

Neither of us can't connect to other online games of sr2...How to port forward?We both have cable internet not router...

I got to go now...I hope you can find a solution for me Idolninja...I will be back in a couple of hours to check your reply.

From the Unofficial SR2 PC FAQ on Steam forums..
Why does it timeout when I try to connect to a coop game?

Saints Row 2 needs to have the following port open/forwarded for both the host and client:
4200 TCP and UDP

Just opening port 4200 works for most people. If it still time's out try disabling your Hamachi virtual network adapter and/or opening the following ports both TCP and UDP:
* 27900 (Master Server UDP Heartbeat)
* 28900 (Master Server List Request)
* 29900 (GP Connection Manager)
* 29901 (GP Search Manager)
* 13139 (Custom UDP Pings)
* 6500 (Query Port)
* 4200 (Game)

If it still doesn't work, try hosting a non-password protected game. Oddly enough, this seems to work for some people when everything else fails.

So, try all of those. It's a LOT of ports. I personally had to open and forward almost all of those before gamespy would even acknowledge it existed.

So, uh, even if you can connect to other online games, those need to be forwarded on the host at least.

From the Unofficial SR2 PC FAQ on Steam forums..

So, try all of those. It's a LOT of ports. I personally had to open and forward almost all of those before gamespy would even acknowledge it existed.

So, uh, even if you can connect to other online games, those need to be forwarded on the host at least.

Yeah I WOULD try to forward those ports if I would know how to do it ! On every tutorial I find on the internet about port forwarding tells me how to do it for routers but I don't have router or modem I have internet from cable...

Wow guys while browsing the internet I found out that if you have internet through cable then you can't forward any ports,you need router to do port forwarding...damn now I have tot change my internet provider and to buy a router in order to play saints row 2 online but 2 years ago I could play sr2 online on my old crappy computer and bad internet connection with no problems,now I have good pc and 12 mb/s downloading internet connection and I'm unable to play this game online;does anyone have internet through cable and help me with it?

You don't understand. Port forwarding is something that happens when you route traffic on your internal network. In simple terms, you have some kind of device (like a router) that sits between your home network and the Internet that acts like a traffic cop. Computer A requests a web page and the router itself makes the request (on port 80 for http) and then routes that data back internally to you. This usually works by default. Computer B is trying to play Saints Row 2 though and requests data on port 4200. if uPnp isn't turned on (and it usually is by default on most home gear) then you would need to manually specify in your router config that all traffic coming back in on port 4200 needs to be redirected to your specific PC.

In simple terms, port forwarding is simply sending data back and forth over a certain port to a certain specific PC.

A firewall on the other hand, blocks traffic on certain ports. I have seen quite a few modems you get from ISPs that have really shitty firewalls enabled by default, and that might be the problem. Windows also has a built in firewall that often doesn't act like you would expect, so you may need to define a rule to allow traffic on port 4200 too.

The problem is that there a massive amount of different hardware out there, and we have no way to tell you specifically what you need to do to fix it. Now that you know these basic facts, you will need to find and read the documentation for your hardware and try to figure out what the heck is actually going on. Your goal is two things:
1. Configure your router to forward traffic on port 4200 to your PC. Routing may be a feature of your cable modem, especially if you're sharing your connection with multiple PC in your house.
2. Open up port 4200 on cable modem's firewall (if applicable) and in your Windows firewall as well.

You may also want to test disabling your firewall(s) completely, and/or trying to forward/open the list of ports from the FAQ that someone posted earlier. Usually just 4200 is fine.

Back