Rockstar and Take-Two fight against modders (locking Online content in the singleplayer)

In case someone doesn't know what I'm talking about:
https://gta-mp.net/
http://www.pcinvasion.com/take2-orders-gtamultiplayer-shut-down
http://www.pcinvasion.com/gtamultiplayer-interview

So, what do you think of this whole thing? In my opinion it's just fucking unbelievable attack against the modding community and another step in turning video games into dull money squeezers, the quote below makes my blood boil...
PC Invasion - GTA:MP Interview said:
PCI: Do you think the Shark cards are the main reason Take2 has taken this action?

GTA:MP: Yes. We don’t think that there is any other reasons, or at least it’s the main reason. Take-Two probably don’t want people to play on an other multiplayer because it can means that less people will buy their stuff on GTA:Online.
It's so pathetic, especially if someone bought GTA V just to play modded multiplayer with friends. We can try to sign this petition, although I'm pretty sure Take-Two won't give a shit about anything besides their money... :(

UPDATE: Four months later, in March 2016 Rockstar started locking Online content in the singleplayer along with the release of Lowriders: Custom Classics DLC. It has begun, Rockstar and Take-Two try to force people to play Online and buy their Shark credit cards. Fucking greedy morons.

Last edited:
I do and sometimes don't support piracy, But Rockstar is taking this so far.
I think they should stop pursuing innocent people and start banning those who have ever used hacks to scew up online sessions.
And they can't blame to customers the failure through online experience, They already messed up with "free mode"
Personally i wouldn't purchase this game by this time.
Probably next year.
Probably never.
Rather play Max Payne 3 online.
Enough said.

You all should take a seat and tell Yolanda to be cool because I'm about to deliver a long mother fucking post.

In my opinion, what killed GTA:O was not only the hackers, but all the young/immature gamers who were able to play the game. All of them are destroying the gaming community with their naive impulsive habits. Have you seen the Steam reviews for GTAV? Most of these gamers were quick complaining about the pricing error during the Steam sale. But I can guarantee you that was a bug with Steam itself, AS USUAL. Yet these folks put the blame on Rockstar. Painting Rockstar like some crazy super cliche evil corporation in a movie.

Seriously, if a developer fucks up just once, the gaming community paints you the equivalent of FUCKING SKYNET in our universe. For no good reason.

We even have geniuses leaving negative reviews who have BARELY any time in the game. What's even more golden are the people who complain about poor performance. These morons are buying the game with PCs at HALF the minimum req then complain when they can't run it. Apparently the ability to read minimum requirements is beyond the capability of your modern gamer.

So with that overview outlined, how do I feel about this stuff getting shut down? I feel good and i'll tell you why. Because gamers feel too entitled and I get a good laugh when the gamers finally get screwed over by the devs/pubs. All of the pitchfork ranting, mob mentality, and trolling that is happening in the gaming community is too much, and this is fair punishment. You get denied the crap you want.

Also, regarding the money squeezing in GTA...It seems I'm the only one that realizes this but does everyone know all of those FREE updates Rockstar is giving to GTA? Why don't gamers focus on that? Oh yeah, that's right! It's a positive thing, not a negative, so gamers don't talk about it. Gamers only talk about the bad things and are quick to attack devs for it, yet do nothing to show support when devs do nice things.

It's pathetic that the community has gotten this low, since I myself walk under the same umbrella.

Summary/TLDR: I side with the developers/publishers.

Ehh, your post has barely anything to do with the topic, the only thing that's actually related to it is this part:
So with that overview outlined, how do I feel about this stuff getting shut down? I feel good and i'll tell you why. Because gamers feel too entitled and I get a good laugh when the gamers finally get screwed over by the devs/pubs. All of the pitchfork ranting, mob mentality, and trolling that is happening in the gaming community is too much, and this is fair punishment. You get denied the crap you want.
So threatening modders with a lawsuit for developing their own multiplayer most probably just because of fucking Shark credit cards and lower GTA Online popularity is a 'fair punishment'? Like, dafuq am I even reading? o_O
It looks like Rockstar was even willing to support the project but fuckers from Take-Two don't give a shit about anything but money from microtransactions...

Ehh, your post has barely anything to do with the topic, the only thing that's actually related to it is this part:

Hence the "So with that overview outlined"

Without the rest of the post, that entire paragraph would be out of context and would be confusing....

Anyway....yes. Punishment. Gamers will whine about this, like they always do. But most of them cant and won't actually do shit.

Like I said, gamers today feel WAY TOO ENTITLED. As someone with mods on the Steam Workshop, I know firsthand just how ungrateful gamers are. I'd personally take down my mods if it wasn't for the tens of thousands of subscribers that may get corrupted saves. And a few of those subscribers I know are honest gamers, so they are the ONLY reason my mods stay up.

So as far as the FiveM modders go, tough luck. Sucks to get threatened by a lawsuit but what did they really expect. But as for the general gaming community. It's a fucking win.

Also, what is with all the hate with Shark Cards. It's BY FAR the least Pay2Win implementation I have ever seen in a game with microtransactions. Buying Shark cards gives you no advantage. Money is already SO EASY to make in the game. Rockstar and Take-Two isn't forcing anybody to buy Shark Cards. But since Rockstar is indeed constantly creating new shit for GTA, it makes sense to defend that small source of income to support further development.

Seriously, I want to know what everyones big issue with Shark Cards is. Rockstar and Take-Two could have implemented a MUCH MORE unfair microtransaction in the game. Have gamers even tried games like Planetside 2? Or seen the Item Mall/Pay2Win shops of MMOs? You can directly buy upgrades/items to give you an advantage. The Shark Card on the other hand is nearly useless because of how easy it is to make money. I mean for fucks sake, one of the biggest points to playing GTAO is to make money, so buying Shark Cards is just cutting away at your gaming experience.

GTAO is a very fun game. If gamers want to make it better, don't make a separate Online Multiplayer that will divide the community. Instead, work on fixing the crappy community.

Hence the "So with that overview outlined"

Without the rest of the post, that entire paragraph would be out of context and would be confusing....

Anyway....yes. Punishment. Gamers will whine about this, like they always do. But most of them cant and won't actually do shit.

Like I said, gamers today feel WAY TOO ENTITLED. As someone with mods on the Steam Workshop, I know firsthand just how ungrateful gamers are. I'd personally take down my mods if it wasn't for the tens of thousands of subscribers that may get corrupted saves. And a few of those subscribers I know are honest gamers, so they are the ONLY reason my mods stay up.

So as far as the FiveM modders go, tough luck. Sucks to get threatened by a lawsuit but what did they really expect. But as for the general gaming community. It's a fucking win.

Also, what is with all the hate with Shark Cards. It's BY FAR the least Pay2Win implementation I have ever seen in a game with microtransactions. Buying Shark cards gives you no advantage. Money is already SO EASY to make in the game. Rockstar and Take-Two isn't forcing anybody to buy Shark Cards. But since Rockstar is indeed constantly creating new shit for GTA, it makes sense to defend that small source of income to support further development.

Seriously, I want to know what everyones big issue with Shark Cards is. Rockstar and Take-Two could have implemented a MUCH MORE unfair microtransaction in the game. Have gamers even tried games like Planetside 2? Or seen the Item Mall/Pay2Win shops of MMOs? You can directly buy upgrades/items to give you an advantage. The Shark Card on the other hand is nearly useless because of how easy it is to make money. I mean for fucks sake, one of the biggest points to playing GTAO is to make money, so buying Shark Cards is just cutting away at your gaming experience.

GTAO is a very fun game. If gamers want to make it better, don't make a separate Online Multiplayer that will divide the community. Instead, work on fixing the crappy community.
Trust me if you thought Planetside 2 had terrible microtransactions Payday 2 is even worse. No seriously they locked entire weapon categories, characters and levels behind a $100 paywall for a game that costs $20 AND on top of that they decided to add microtransaactions in the form of stat-boosting weapon skins.
As for 2K isn't it a bit ironic that the same company that lambasted the whole megacorp mentality in the form of GTA 5 and the Borderlands series pulled something that almost sounds exactly like a stunt a Merryweather or Hyperion mercenary would pull?

I actually spent a good $200-250 USD on Planetside 2 before I left, but I have a history of spending money in online games so it's not a unique situation. In hindsight, that was a complete waste for a game that I played for less than a month.

Regarding the whole Payday 2 fiasco, the best part in my opinion is watching all of the angry gamers do their angry thing as usual. It is entertaining to say the least.

But yes, the Payday 2 implementation was horrible. Absolutely horrible. One of the big parts that separates it from others is that there is tons of extra content available for Payday 2, but you must pay for them. So in essence, you're paying for Payday 2 the game, then you have you pay for DLC. Then you have paywalled items, and then you have further microtransactions. That is simply ridiculous on Overkills part. (plus, mentioning that prior that they wouldn't add it, that's a no no)

For GTA, you just pay for the game. All of the DLC thus far has been free, there is no paywall, and Rockstar offers only one microtransaction, the Shark Card (which is hardly game changing).

This brings us full circle, why do we hate Shark Cards? It's a micro transaction system in a very modest form in my opinion.

Last edited:
In my opinion it's less about the Shark Cards and more about the idea of microtransactions in general. Companies such as EA or just about any hack on Google Play or the Appstore have turned DLC into something that once extended the life of a game into something that's now reviled in pretty much every gaming fandom out there and for good reason, we went from huge expansion packs such as Yuri's Revenge, COD Zombies, Ballad of Gay Tony and the Pitt to having to pay for things such as extra lives, skins, weapons, characters, vehicles and even the legit friggin' ending of the damn game in the case of both Mass Effect 3 and Asura's Wrath. So sadly nowadays even if a piece of DLC is worthless\useless like the Shark Cards or massive like any of the DLC pack's for Borderlands 2 the fans are understandably still going to be angry about how yet another promising feature that wasn't killed and dumped in a nearby river (local co-op and destructible environments come to mind) became an eldritch abomination that has encouraged the greed of Activision and EA while at the same time unintentionally breeding a new generation of fanbases consisting of mostly indecisive fanboys, creepy sex-fiends, frat-bros, tumblrina's and obnoxious MLG kids.

Only reason I bring up Shark Cards so often is because if you read all the whining reviews of GTAV, somehow the Shark Card manages to get mentioned. In a negative way as well. I believe this is because there is absolutely nothing else wrong with GTAV. It's essentially as close to perfect as Rockstar could get it. So naturally, the angry people needed something to blame, and found it in Shark Cards and a Steam pricing page error.

Only reason I bring up Shark Cards so often is because if you read all the whining reviews of GTAV, somehow the Shark Card manages to get mentioned. In a negative way as well. I believe this is because there is absolutely nothing else wrong with GTAV. It's essentially as close to perfect as Rockstar could get it. So naturally, the angry people needed something to blame, and found it in Shark Cards and a Steam pricing page error.

If anything my only main gripe is how a lot of the good story missions seem to be centered around everyone's favorite Canadian Walter White expy while Not!Frank West and Not!CJ's Son have missions that typically consist of more "standard" affairs such as dealing with an obnoxious son\friend or getting into shootout in the middle of Not!Los Angeles.

Secondly I didn't really enjoy how much of a glass cannon the three main characters are, especially coming from someone who's played a lot of Just Cause 2, Saints Row and Prototype. (Although I could just suck at the game)

Oh and don't even get me started on the aircraft...

Back