[REQ] More gang vehicles

I remember a mod in GotR where you had almost ALL vehicles selectable as Gang vehicles...is it possible for Sr:TT too? Especially since SR:TT only had like,5 gang vehicles...

Adding extra vehicles just locks up the menu when you try to select. It may be related to the fact that gang vehicles are also completely broken in vanilla; i.e. Saints never arrive in the ones you select anyway.

It's not really that way, I checked and what I found out is that it never locks up on Saints variants of vehicles (Saints/saints). I've succeeded to add 3 vehicles, that is the Reaper, Mule and the Hammer, which have the variant.

It's not really that way, I checked and what I found out is that it never locks up on Saints variants of vehicles (Saints/saints). I've succeeded to add 3 vehicles, that is the Reaper, Mule and the Hammer, which have the variant.

Interesting. They still would never show up though since it's bugged for all gang vehicles.

How is it bugged? I can verify it sorta works, or at least did when I tried (shortly before the 1st DLC had hit download).. I experimented and found the same myself.. you can't actually force it to try other variants even if they exist. Which is really weird because there's an option to use a variant tag in the gang vehicle selection. There may be something related to the actual internal variants of said vehicle, but I couldn't follow it enough to make my own "Saints" variant for a vehicle to try with. Not to mention there's like the activities 2-3 copies of the vehicle details around so which is used? Anyways, if you feed it a vehicle with no "Saints" variant but give it the name of a different variant or what, it shows the name in the list, but when you highlight it no vehicle shows up to the side, and you can't select it. Some sort of error-correction to prevent it from failing at that point I guess.

It also works on the two attack choppers by the way. They do show up in the selection screen (since they have saints variants being used in missions for such), and can be selected, and will show up randomly in traffic. Unfortunately the AI has no clue what to do in a chopper, so it sits there in the middle of the road rotors spinning and going nowhere. But at least you can always jack it and have a free chopper :D

(Edit) If you do mean though about making them work as vehicles for gang members to drive up in, no, that doesn't work. I kinda wonder though if they might be spawned internally as a generic driver and drive to you first. Maybe like the taxi/medical AI from before.. just repurposed, and in turn that's designed to use the generic variants you'd see in traffic. So if the weighting was changed so EVERYONE drove the saints variant of that car, the saints might too. (/edit)

Drive up homies actually do use whatever vehicle specified in the homies table.
It's the ambient spawns that are bugged. At this moment, any ambient vehicle-driving saints seem like a fluke - they are just extremely rare (and use a very limited car pool at that, so I don't think they spawn with civilians or are in any way related to civilian spawns). All of the ambient gang spawns seem to be controlled outside of the normal spawning tables. Yeah, a hackjob solution would be to add saints variants to civilian spawns, but that wouls undermine the whole point of gang vehicle. Plus, I doubt they would start using proper variants themselves.

Well, I think you've meant the same thing, but under a slightly different name.

Is it possible that the rare ambient driving Saints are ambient Saints that grabbed a car randomly? The few times that I've noticed them, it seems that they are in regular civilian cars. Only recall the gang vehicles coming up for call homies and at the end of survival missions.

Do you suppose there is a way to change it from calling from the 'gang vehicle' list, instead using vehicles from your Garage list?

As I said, I can verify ambient spawned saints in vehicles DO use the specified vehicles. The clustering is kinda wierd.. I think it only happens in zones you control, and it's still only maybe 10%. However, remember I just said that helicopters do work.
From that I can verify that they DID use the vehicles (if they do now I haven't tested, someone else can I suppose but I'm personally waiting for the last DLC and the game updates to settle down). Trust me, there is no chance the saints grabbed some ambient helicopter and used it to just sit in one place.
That and I saw them use the other custom vehicles when I used it.

Although.. I've never seen a saints member in a civvy car... if you're seeing them in such, it might imply that the game ignores the "variant" type in the file, and spawns every variant plus the usually unused saints one. In turn, then the crib screen doesn't let you pick a car without a Saints variant because it is looking for JUST that and not whatever variant you tell it to, and in turn when saints drive about they drive all variants of that car, including the saints one.

The best way to test this would be to specify the gang car (all three types actually) to something you don't normally see, like the helicopters.. then see if only the purple saints variants show up, or if all variants do. If so, that explains the fault of adding new cars and means we'd have to add a "Saints" variant to each and every car we want to add to the pool that lacks one.

Ok, kinda double posting, but I just went through and sort of verified it. When you select gang vehicles from your crib, it uses the gang_customization.xtbl file to see what it can select from (notably under the <gang_vehicles> section). It then IGNORES THE VARIANT FLAG! It assumes the vehicle given has a "saints" variant in the crib menu when you select a vehicle for a slot. If the vehicle does NOT have a saints variant, it shows an empty space where normally it would show the vehicle, as it tries to load the "saints" variant and fails. There's error-correction there and you can't select the vehicle as the variant "saints" is not found.
If it DOES have a "saints" variant, you can select it. HOWEVER in-game when it randomly spawns a s Saint in a gang-car, it goes and looks at the list of gang cars, picks one at random. It then proceeds to ALSO ignore the variant flag. Possibly, at least... In turn, it picks the standard variant, ignoring traffic weighting and such. And your gang member is spawned in a vehicle thusly. That is why it appears to NOT work.. it's working off the list of gang options you gave it, but as the variants shown are just the normal traffic variants anyways, they blend in. The best way to verify this is to add a vehicle that can't show up in traffic, like heli_fighter01 or heli_fighter02 (both of which are selectable as they have saints variants). You will eventually see them in Saints controlled areas, parked (the AI can't fly)... and they will be in generic black or grey or whatever the usual is for that vehicle.

When you use the phone to call Saints Backup... they do not use the gang-cars. You can verify this by changing the gang-cars, and then calling for backup.

I'll just say this was as "fun" to go and verify as you would guess. It's probably why it's never been noticed.. my personal random guess is they were having issues with selecting gang-cars (in the menu, or in spawning, or who knows what), and some programmer found that it was fixed by utterly ignoring the <variants> tag given in the selection. Or alternately, was just never saved in the first place. In turn, by the time shipdate hit it was either so low-priority or missed as a bug that cropped up that it was never changed in the engine. That means that the current method would be to add a "saints" variant to each and every vehicle you want to add. I can't seem to manage this myself, but others might have better luck. If you try that, see if you can add the vehicle to gang_customization.xtbl and MORESO select it as one. I'd suggest an uncommon vehicle like a tank, so when it spawns on the street you can pick it out quickly.

(edit) Did some looking. It appears to use the standard variant, and ignores weighting. Maybe. If the vehicle weighting isn't in the appropriate xtbl in root and is stored in say an str2 (a lot of the stuff in the game is duplicated, so why not this?) then I haven't tested that.(/edit)

Back