Visuals & Graphics Question about ads folder. Possible mod avenue?

I hope the title gives a clue. I recently changed computers and was moving my games over. When I started up SR2 to test it out, it said it didn't have any save files so I went looking. Found them in the old drive's Users/(username)/AppData/Local/THQ/Saints Row 2. Inside that folder with the save data is another folder called 'ads'. Inside is a cache folder, a dfts.dat file that brings up into gibberish when opened in Notepad, an engine_log.html and a user.var. The cache folder only has an empty data folder in it.

My question is, when I played SR2 on XBox, the billboards would change ads for things like real movies, events, and products like soft drinks. It's been years since it stopped. I'm going to assume that the PC version did the same thing? I'd always wondered if there was a way to use that to create a billboard mod like in SR3. Did I stumble on where the ads used to be stored? Could it be reactivated to show images stored in the folder? What would that entail and what format would the ads be?

I've managed to stumble my way through making mods for a few other games, but if I can pick the brain of someone who might know the immediate answer or has been in the guts of SR2 enough to know where to look, I'd really appreciate it.

Back