PowerTools causing SR2 Crashing

When I don't have PowerTools installed, the game goes really fast. However, when I do have PowerTools running with SR2, the game crashes after about 5 minutes. I looked on the Event Viewer and it comes up as an error with exception code 0xc0000005. I included a file that gives my PC specs as well. Let me know if you can help at all, and thanks for your time.

Attachments

• PC Specs.txt
    51.5 KB · Views: 400
I noticed I have not gotten any response yet. Sorry for the bump, but can I please get a hand with this, or at least get an update on if someone's investigating this matter? It would help a lot, thanks! If you need more information please let me know as well.

Yes, Powertools does make the game play smooth but in my experience it does cause constant CTDs, so try this:

Enter BIOS settings of your Motherboard and look for HPET/ACPI and ENABLE it, then save and quit the bios settings.

Start up Win7 and click Start, under the "search program or file" option type CMD, it will bring a Command Prompt (a black window that resemble MS-DOS) and type the following in that black Window:

bcdedit /set useplatformclock true

Then click enter, you can now close that black window and finally reboot your PC, works like a charm!

I have Win7 x64 and i am not using PowerTools any longer, no speed issues after the trick.

**DO NOT FORGET TO REBOOT**

O...M...G....thank you so much! This worked first time I tried it. Btw, make sure anyone that uses this in the future makes sure to open the command prompt as an administrator. It wouldn't allow the change without the command prompt being opened as an administrator. But a thousand thank yous for this one tiny solution!

You`re welcome, i actually helped several people with this... you are not the only one:

http://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/...-the-row-v1-9-1-fixes-win-7-speedup-bug.3132/

and

http://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/problems-with-the-german-version.4080/

And also in the official SR4 official Steam Forums, this trick is not very known saddly... PowerTools DOES Works but like i previously said it does causes constant CTDs in my experience.

Very nice PC by the way, i7 with GTX660 Ti! i just have a mere PhenomII with a GTX470, but it does the job!

Last edited:
This was new to me and am stashing this for future reference. Thanks for the info, etayorius.

Hopefully Idol could update that SR2 FAQ on Steam with this info. I'll note according to Wikipeadia the setting only works on
flavors of Unix, BSD, Linux, Win xp SP3 and Win7 and up.

In my case it wasn't needed as running the game in Windowed mode vs full screen fixed most of the crashing issues.

One of these days I'll reboot and see if my BIOS has that setting as I honestly had never heard of it till now.
Perhaps it was already enabled here, as I too had no need for the PowerTool speed fix as I saw no issues in that regard.

Yes, Powertools does make the game play smooth but in my experience it does cause constant CTDs, so try this:

Enter BIOS settings of your Motherboard and look for HPET/ACPI and ENABLE it, then save and quit the bios settings.

Start up Win7 and click Start, under the "search program or file" option type CMD, it will bring a Command Prompt (a black window that resemble MS-DOS) and type the following in that black Window:

bcdedit /set useplatformclock true

Then click enter, you can now close that black window and finally reboot your PC, works like a charm!

I have Win7 x64 and i am not using PowerTools any longer, no speed issues after the trick.

**DO NOT FORGET TO REBOOT**

Ok i made an account just for this because as of yesterday powertools was working great and now the next morning its no longer recognized despite reinstalling. how do you enter BIOS into your motherboard settings? everything else i get. i just need some litteral step by step instructions.

thanks guys, so close to acctually getting this to work.

Back