Possible "memory leak" in SR4 and SR3 Engine with some hardware/drivers

I've noticed that certain people have a bug similar to mine where you eventually freeze after playing for a little while. I would very much like to see this bug fixed and will gladly help as much as possible which is why I am posting this thread. If I restart often I can get through -most- missions but some of them are a little long and the memory leak causes a freeze. I am not certain memory leak is the correct term for this particular bug because I have no way of knowing -exactly- what is causing the memory use to rise, but that is what I am calling it for now.

It causes an "apphang" in the event viewer. I am aware some people have problems with certain events in missions that cause an "appcrash", but the apphang is what I am concerned with. My computer does not freeze itself, just the program freezes and if I click it I can end process (white screen on the program itself). The program does not ctd. I am running in windowed mode.

I believe something was carried over from sr3 due to the engine being similar/same. These two games are the only two I have a problem with.
I run with task manager open lately to try to diagnose if the memory kept going up, and it did, just like in saints row 3. I was hopeful that this would be fixed in saints row 4. Rather than giving the memory back to the system the engine seems to (in my and some others situation) just ask for more and more memory. I am assuming this is hardware or driver related due to the fact not everyone has this problem. Coop seems to cause the issue to accelerate in 3 but coop freezing when not the host may not be related. I have not attempted coop in sr4 because I want singleplayer to be stable before I try adding more variables.

My specs:

win 7 64 bit
intel core 2 quad Q9550 at 2.83 ghz
Evga nforce 790i ultra sli motherboard
nvidia gtx 465
8gb ram (two sticks of pny PC3-10666 DDR3 4 gb ram)

I have tested my memory with various programs and they have passed all of them with 0 errors.
I have the latest drivers for my graphics card.

I am able to play other graphically and cpu intensive games with relatively no problems.
I have not overclocked and I allow evga precision to regulate fan speed to reduce temperature to a minimum.
The freezes are -not- temperature related as I have tested with evga and several other hardware monitors to determine that my gpu, cpu, motherboard are at acceptable levels.
The game runs very nicely with an acceptable framerate until the freeze. My settings are everything lowest except resolution which is 1920 x 1080. Shadows off, trilinear, post processing off. Vsync off. The game still looks fairly nice but with these settings minecraft is probably more demanding.

I have tried various fixes on forums and web pages and none of them stop the memory from increasing fairly quickly in saints row 4. It is however slower in 3 but this could simply be because 4 is more demanding.

What I have noticed is that the task manager states something similar in sr3 at the beginning:

I start the game, it is around 324,000 k in the menu.
When I load the actual game it shoots up toward 750,000 (two minutes of gameplay) and then slowly.. very very slowly climbs.
After around 36 minutes the memory was at about 870,000 and still very slowly climbing. This is stable enough.
I was driving around very fast and using helicopters to try and simulate the high speed conditions of saints row 4 which is on the same engine. I am not sure whether idolninjas mods have made this game more stable or not but the memory leak in saints row 3 is small enough that I do not mind. I was able to play through all of the dlc in one session without restarting.
If it does keep going in sr3, I eventually will likely get a freeze at around 925,000 k memory.

Saints row 4 however, the memory goes from ~750,000 to ~925,000 or so incredibly quickly compared to sr3, it does so in a two steps forward one step back sort of way. 777,000 one second, then 778,000, then 777,000, then 779,000.. etc. I can usually do 1 or 2 short missions before the freeze but if it is a very long mission I am likely to freeze during it and lose progress. Restarting the game constantly is tedious.
I noticed the freeze is most likely to occur at around 925,000 in both games. I can basically predict the freeze but that doesn't help if the mission is very long.
I have also noticed other people posting similar freezes on the various forums.

I will gladly try to gather any other information that I can using the event viewer or whatever.
If I can collect any other information that would be helpful, tell me how please.
I want to see this fixed. I am very willing to test all sorts of solutions.

Thank you for your time.

I'd like to think idolninjas upcoming mods or an update might fix the issue but if I can help in any way, I will try. This has been happening since sr3 for me so I am just going to try to be proactive.

I have included a few "crashes" that have occured. They are not the same as the issue I am concerned with and I think most of them happened at the same point after killing tanya (directly before mission end of ben king rescue mission).
However, they might help the devs with those other crashes people sometimes experience or shed some light on the causes of my freeze.

Faulting application name: SaintsRowIV.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x5214db3e
Faulting module name: SaintsRowIV.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x5214db3e
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00b7a3c3
Faulting process id: 0x175c
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce9f9995762660
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Saints Row IV\SaintsRowIV.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Saints Row IV\SaintsRowIV.exe
Report Id: 1cadb620-0b92-11e3-a5ef-00044b182ab8

----------------------------------

Faulting application name: SaintsRowIV.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x5214db3e
Faulting module name: SaintsRowIV.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x5214db3e
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00b7fdb3
Faulting process id: 0xc88
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce9f9f0986e170
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Saints Row IV\SaintsRowIV.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Saints Row IV\SaintsRowIV.exe
Report Id: b97ce150-0b93-11e3-a5ef-00044b182ab8

-------------------------------------------------------------
Fault bucket 3783945656, type 1
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: SaintsRowIV.exe
P2: 1.0.0.1
P3: 5214db3e
P4: SaintsRowIV.exe
P5: 1.0.0.1
P6: 5214db3e
P7: c0000005
P8: 00b7fdb3
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Users\Kirakuda\AppData\Local\Temp\WER1A8.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
C:\Users\Kirakuda\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_SaintsRowIV.exe_11f637caadaa743b275d85d782f413b7a5e764_1745316e

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: b97ce150-0b93-11e3-a5ef-00044b182ab8
Report Status: 0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: PCA2

Problem signature:
P3: Saints Row IV
P4: Saints Row IV
P5: Koch Media GmbH
P6: 200
P7: -1
P8:
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Users\Kirakuda\AppData\Local\Temp\{24af6a31-0160-4242-a960-2222aa947808}\appcompat.txt
C:\Users\Kirakuda\AppData\Local\Temp\TabDC7C.tmp

Analysis symbol:
Report Id: 803fceb0-0b99-11e3-a5ef-00044b182ab8
Report Status: 0
------------------------------------------------------------

One of my apphang event viewer reports which might not be particularly useful:

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: AppHangB1

Problem signature:
P3: 5214db3e
P4: 9a7e
P5: 0
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Users\Kirakuda\AppData\Local\Temp\WERA74E.tmp.appcompat.txt
C:\Users\Kirakuda\AppData\Local\Temp\WERA7FB.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

C:\Users\Kirakuda\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppHang_SaintsRowIV.exe_8c824fc81cf78dcb77fe84fca7c59cf019e6732f_1634aa4b

Analysis symbol:
Report Id: de4496c1-0c0d-11e3-87d4-00044b182ab8
Report Status: 1

The program SaintsRowIV.exe version 1.0.0.1 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
Process ID: 161c
Start Time: 01cea0174cad5150
Termination Time: 380
Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Saints Row IV\SaintsRowIV.exe
Report Id: de4496c1-0c0d-11e3-87d4-00044b182ab8

Are you saying that you have crashes in both SR4 and SR3? I've never had a crash in SR3, ever. It has its own set of bugs, but never had it crash out on me. This could imply a lower level problem. Please attach msinfo32 as explained in the sticky thread. It can shed some insight as to what is going on, such as a third party app interfering.

Okies, I am grabbing msinfo32 but my main problem in both games hasn't really been random crashing but moreso freezing after a certain amount of play time and increasing memory use. SR3 didn't crash like 4 has at certain points in missions, but it did freeze like 4 is for me. The crashes in 4 will likely be fixed and do not happen to me randomly but at specific points that other people sometimes report having them at the same time. The random freezing or apphangs is really what is concerning to me because it happened in 3 as well.

Will attach msinfo later.

Odd massive memory leaks can be caused by other apps injecting into processes - I know MSI Afterburner has been guilty of this before. Check that you've not got anything like that happening.

I have tried disabling the steam community in-game via properties thinking something might be injecting and it didn't help. I am unsure of how much memory the game is supposed to use "Steadily" so I am not even sure if the memory being around 925,000 matters now, as I played guild wars 2 earlier and it used almost twice that amount and it runs incredibly stable at maximum settings in crowded areas. Warframe at maximum settings does not freeze and I leave it on as a screensaver sometimes. I don't -think- precision X is doing this as I have evga equipment and I find it a little unsettling to disable my temperature monitoring and fan adjustment software because I have had gpu's burn out in the past and I really don't feel like buying a new card.
I remember alot of people started freezing in sr3 when they released the dlc, I do have the preorder of the season pass so I would say a dlc package is being loaded already due to the rectifier being in my gateway (I don't really use it since I have the energy sword).

That said, if there is any other program or driver that might be hooking the process, I'd definitely like to know so I could disable it. I exit origin (Only have it for the humble bundle dead space 3 haha) and similar programs while playing because I just try to keep minimal background processes. Comodo security is running typically with all settings turned off while playing. My setpoint wireless mouse driver software is typically running as well. I have the sr4 .exe file set to turn off aero on load.

Msinfo dealies:

<removed now>

Last edited:
One thing to note is at times when I crashed it would appear frozen because the crash dialog spawned behind the game instead of in front. Although that doesn't sound like what is happening here, I figured I'd throw that out here.

It puts a white overlay above the frozen image and when I click it a few times it will tell me the program stopped responding (hanged) and ask me if I want to wait for it to respond or close it.

I will try to get new logs if necessary. The freeze can happen in menus as well once the memory is around the "target" point.

(Also, EVGA Precision X has had the On Screen Display disabled entirely since installation.)

Would printing the msinfo32 again while the frozen window is up help in showing what services are running in the background?

Last edited:
Being a console game, we allocate memory early and only once. There shouldn't be an increase to the commit size during gameplay(minus one or two 3rd party tools we don't have control over, but we're talking kilobytes of allocations, not megs). Are you looking at the working set memory column?

Back