Saints Row 2 Player disappears when too close to camera

I figured I'd give this bad boy another play through however when modifying the cameras to my liking (first person of course) I found that the camera was forcing the player to disappear, shadows and all. I've done alot of digging around and I can't seem to find any file that relates to this so I'm wondering if this effect is scripted or not.

I think it's an intentional part of the engine.. so when you're say in a corner, and the camera is squeezed up so as not to clip through a wall, you can see what's going on without 90% of your screen being the Boss. It's going to be as deeply ingrained in the engine as drawing the models itself. Don't expect a way to change it either.. I think that's been the design decision since SR1 (can't confirm 1 but very likely). It's a standard of all games with third-person over the shoulder camera.

Pull the camera back a little, or shove it almost up into them to first person, sorry?

(Volition would have to post to be sure, but it's a deep-built thing I'm guessing, and is one that's come up with every single game in the series)

I think it's an intentional part of the engine.. so when you're say in a corner, and the camera is squeezed up so as not to clip through a wall, you can see what's going on without 90% of your screen being the Boss. It's going to be as deeply ingrained in the engine as drawing the models itself. Don't expect a way to change it either.. I think that's been the design decision since SR1 (can't confirm 1 but very likely). It's a standard of all games with third-person over the shoulder camera.

Pull the camera back a little, or shove it almost up into them to first person, sorry?

(Volition would have to post to be sure, but it's a deep-built thing I'm guessing, and is one that's come up with every single game in the series)

That's exactly what I'm thinking. That it was a "feature" hard coded to improve on ease of life for the third person camera.

Well without it, one of two things will happen when the camera is backed into a corner: The entire screen is the back of your player's head, or you see the inside of the player's head. You can see it sometimes, the back/inside of the eyeballs and teeth. It's scary.

I can't say for sure that this is the reason why, but I do know it's the lesser of three evils.

Well without it, one of two things will happen when the camera is backed into a corner: The entire screen is the back of your player's head, or you see the inside of the player's head. You can see it sometimes, the back/inside of the eyeballs and teeth. It's scary.

I can't say for sure that this is the reason why, but I do know it's the lesser of three evils.
Indeed. Back in the early days of the fps mod I noticed that the bosses tongue in sr4 is really high resolution. Creepy HD.

Indeed. Back in the early days of the fps mod I noticed that the bosses tongue in sr4 is really high resolution. Creepy HD.
I love this stuff. Someone really spent a lot of time making that thing and getting it to look right, but missed the forest for the trees. I remember back on RFG when the player had hair we found that the hair had like 14k polys and after digging into it a bit found the eye shader was one of the most expensive shaders in the scene and it was reflecting the environment.

I love this stuff. Someone really spent a lot of time making that thing and getting it to look right, but missed the forest for the trees. I remember back on RFG when the player had hair we found that the hair had like 14k polys and after digging into it a bit found the eye shader was one of the most expensive shaders in the scene and it was reflecting the environment.

I can imagine the trials and tribulations before somebody finally parked himself way out in the middle of nowhere and noticed the eyeballs.

"Well, the player sees their little avatar all the time, so we want to make it sure it looks good, you know?"
"But 14,000 polys on the hair?!"
"Isn't more better?"

It shows a love for the craft, but I can imagine those behind the rendering pipeline had a long deep talk with that artist. Possibly in a back alley with a few baseball bats. :eek:

I can't blame them, like you said they love their craft. If they have to make the eyeballs, they will make the best eyeballs we've ever seen!

It's easy in any situation to lose sight of the forest though, even programming.

Back