Play as a cop

Hi,

I love playing as the cop in SR2. I think FUZZ is the greatest activity of the Saints Row series. So with what's happening right now with modding, that gave me the idea to start work on a "play as cop" mod for SR2.

The goal is to create something similar to the "LCPD First Response" mod for GTA IV.

The idea is : go to the Police HQ to go on duty, that gives you the cop outfit, makes you member of the police team, deactivate missions and activities (to avoid making a mess of the game and save files) and activate a special garage on the parking lot of the police station that allows you to choose a police vehicle (Five-O, Peacekeeper, Bear, Oppressor, Tornado) and off you go. When you're done, you go back to the police station to clock out and that makes you member of the "Saints" team again and reactivates missions and activities.

The holy grail would be to implement a system of "calls" like in FUZZ but that's a long term goal.

Right now, I'm just working on making the player a member of the police team (that's easy enough) and be able to call in reinforcements (by changing the police notoriety).

Using notoriety for the reinforcements almost works, the cops that spawns are friendly to the player, however :
1) starting at notoriety level 3, cops in cars try to run over the player when he is on foot, or when the player is driving, they either crash into his car (if they are coming from behind) or powerslide to block the road (if they are comming from the opposite lane), I know this is default police behaviour when dealing with ennemies, but I was wondering if there was any way to turn that off (either only when dealing with a "friendly" player or globally)
2) this one is weirder : at notoriety level 5, the Tornado that spawns works almost as expected (i.e. : attacks enemies of the player) but also, when idle, keeps firing its chaingun at the player without doing any damages ... so far, I have'nt seen it firing a rocket

If anyone has any insight on that, it would be greatly appreciated.

As for vehicles, you forgot Estrada, Quota, Shark and Miami. It's a bike, a meter-maid tricycle, a jet ski and a boat, respectively.

As for vehicles, you forgot Estrada, Quota, Shark and Miami. It's a bike, a meter-maid tricycle, a jet ski and a boat, respectively.
Yes, I actually forgot the Estrada ... it's a an easy one to forget as it doesn't spawn in traffic unless you're riding a bike (something new for the TODO list !). The Quota is there, I didn't mention it in the original post, but I included it, it's a must have ! As for boats, that's the next step (I will also try to make available the outfit the cops wear on boats), for now I'm concentrating on vehicles I can spawn on land.

I believe I've experienced issue two with the Tornado and it fired a missile
You're right, it fires rockets once in a while. I guess I didn't give it enough time during my first try (I was kind of annoyed that it was firing at me !) ... well, that makes more sense, but that doesn't make it better :(

I hope to be able to release something "pre-alpha" quality sometime today (european timezone) ... however the mod is single player for the moment, even though adapting it for coop shouldn't be that hard ... it just wasn't designed with coop in mind and must be missing some functions calls and the like to deal with the remote player

Yes, just using the Oppressor is a solution, but I'll keep that as a last resort option because I don't know how easy it is to replace what vehicles spawns at a given notoriety level and also because having the Tornado firing at ennemy gangs may still be fun.

I'm hoping the thread in the "Ask Volition" forum will turn something useful to fix both the Tornado issue and the cops in cars ramming/running over the player.

If not, I will look if it is possible to use scripted NPC cops for reinforcements instead of the ones that spawn with notoriety, maybe then it would be possible to fine-tune their behavior.

Ok, here is a pre-alpha version, hence codenamed alpha0, of the thing :

How to install :
mod consists of 3 files :
  • "playasacop.cts" which defines navpoints and vehicles
  • "sr2_city.lua" which contains the scripting
  • "sr2_city.cts" which has only been modified to add an "include" directive for "playasacop.cts"
Those 3 files must be packed into a "patch.vpp_pc" which must be placed in the main folder of the game, see the thread "SR2 modding for dummies" for instructions (http://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/sr2-modding-for-dummies.1102/)

How to use :
  • Go the the locker room of the Police HQ in Saints Row district or to one of the entrace of the Phillips Tower to go on duty
  • When on duty, press "H" twice to call for/dismiss reinforcements
  • You can get a police car (Five-O, SWAT Bear, Quota, FBI SUV, Estrada or SWAT Peacekeeper) on the parking lot Police HQ
  • You can get an Ultor car (Five-O in Ultor and Nuke Plant variants, Ultor Bear, Ultor SUV and Ultor Peacekeeper) at one of the garage doors of the Phillips Tower (on the underground loop road)
Known issues and limitations :
  • no coop support in this release : may or may not work or may have weird bugs
  • no support (not yet) to disable missions and activities while on duty as a cop : you shouldn't try missions/activities as a cop, weird things may happen !
  • NPC cops are lousy teammates ... especially at high notoriety level (cf. : http://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/player-member-of-the-police-team.2961/)
  • when going off duty, the player keeps the cop outfit, I could not find a way to restore the previous clothing the player had
  • "Player is a cop" is an in-memory state and is not stored in the save game, when going on duty and then loading a previous save game, you'll still be a cop. If you save the game as a cop, then exit, you will be reverted to the "Saints" team next time you launch the game.
  • code is ugly and not optimized
Planned for next release (or maybe over the next two releases) :
  • get boats and helicopters at police station and Phillips Tower
  • coop support, with the ability to have either both player as cops or only one as a cop and the other remaining a regular player, giving the option to hunt down your coop partner with the help of Stillwater's law enforcement
  • distinction between cop and Ultor security guard (if you go on duty as a guard, you get the guard uniform and can only get vehicles and go off duty at Phillips Tower ... and if you go on duty as a cop, you can only get vehicles and go off duty at a police station)
  • go on/off duty as a cop and get vehicles at the downtown police station
  • go on/off duty as an Ultor security guard and get vehicles at the nuke plant
  • go on duty as a cop or prison guard on the prison island
Short term plans :
  • more usable system to select cars (I'll try to implement a menu like the garage)
  • more outfits : SWAT, Masako, FBI, cop on boat (uniform with shorts and lifejacket), Federal Agent (Men In Black style), prison guard outfit
  • more cars : Federal Agent sedan, prisonner transport bus
  • code rewrite
  • installer
Long term plans :
  • calls (with the option to take or ignore each call) for "cases" similar to the ones in the FUZZ activity
  • ability to "arrest" NPC and drive them to the police station

Attachments

• playasacop-alpha0.zip
    7 KB · Views: 876
Just a peek at some vehicles coming to the next release :

For all your stealthy operations needs : the black unmarked helicopter and the federal agent sedan !

14BB27FE025C8740BF0DAB4C64F68D890ACF2172

E1F3FC4914D7E4594DF745B9E22C98E623E857DD

Back