Nvidia Profiles

I was just messing around with my Nvidia Profiles for SR4, and changed its Ambient Occlusion Compatibility to LA Noire. Does that actually do something? I know it did something in fallout, as it actually has Ambient Occlusion now. I don't now too much about this Nvidia Profiles stuff.

The compatability flags if memory serves swap about what tricks the card allows and doesn't allow, depending on older coding. They change the drivers and some games use little tricks that are removed from later versions of the drivers, so compatability mode in this case allows LA Noire in this case to use ambient occlusion the way it expects, when without the flag it likely would use incorrect (to modern drivers) methods and screw stuff up (probably misdoing the passes and causing lag or who knows what, and considering the game is designed for atmospheric lighting it probably used a lot of hacks to get it running fast)

Sadly it only works so far.. really old games that are expecting pre-9 directx tend to be out of luck, as sometimes the drivers actually change features or remove them entirely. For instance I like Crimson Skies, but never could play with my nvidia card, since they depreciated the non-power-of-2 flag for textures.. and now while it can be set it's ignored, and games that relied on it just screw up dramatically. That sadly was in the drivers themselves, meaning there's no compat flag (unless it was suddenly added out of nowhere since I switched to ati on my new comp a year back)

Back