New HDD or SSD?

I'm considering buying an SSD SATA Hard drive. But I need to know first, will I get any speed improvement in my Windows system and games?

Yes SSDs are superior, they can handle the data way faster than a normal hard drive, I cant really tell on my own since i dont have one, but you can find tests in which they boot the system in half the time an HDD does.

The only cons I see on them is price and capacity

Booting from HDD used to take me like 3 minutes and then my pc would have a warm up phase during which it would still be pretty slow and take forever to open stuff like chrome. With the SSD it boots up within 5-7 seconds and I can immediately open my browser. Games with long loading times like Fallout 4 would load 2 minutes on fast travel and loading a save. SSD does that in around 10 seconds.

My advice is to have both an SSD and an HDD. SSD for Windows and some games that you play often and have longer loading times and HDD for other games and stuff like photos, videos and other loose files. A large amount of small files like image folders and the like can slow down an SSD, so keep those on your HDD since folders load almost equally fast on SSDs and HDDs.

Yes, I would definitely use an SSD for Windows (drive C:\), and you could get another HDD for drive D:
That's what I do. I have a 512GB SSD for my system drive, and then 3TB HDD for data.

The difference between an SSD and a HDD is like night and day. HUGE speed improvement for SSD!
But what is if there are no more writing cycles available?I read that if no more writing cycles left the ssd is just readable so this is not good for system partitions or did i understand something wrong?

But what is if there are no more writing cycles available?I read that if no more writing cycles left the ssd is just readable so this is not good for system partitions or did i understand something wrong?
That's nothing you have to worry about. Any disk can eventually wear out, including both SSD and HDD, but if you buy a good quality one, you shouldn't worry. In 2013, I bought a Samsung SSD 840 PRO Drive for my laptop (Wndows C: drive) and never had any problems with it. It was SO MUCH faster than the 1TB HDD drive that came with the laptop, I would never go back to a HDD again (for C: drive). So that's 6 years with no problems. The laptop died but I took out the SSD and it still works fine!

In all cases, however, you should always backup your important data regularly. Any hardware can fail. I've had 6 hard disk drives fail on me, so I never trust them.

That's nothing you have to worry about. Any disk can eventually wear out, including both SSD and HDD, but if you buy a good quality one, you shouldn't worry. In 2013, I bought a Samsung SSD 840 PRO Drive for my laptop (Wndows C: drive) and never had any problems with it. It was SO MUCH faster than the 1TB HDD drive that came with the laptop, I would never go back to a HDD again (for C: drive). So that's 6 years with no problems. The laptop died but I took out the SSD and it still works fine!

In all cases, however, you should always backup your important data regularly. Any hardware can fail. I've had 6 hard disk drives fail on me, so I never trust them.
Yeah,backup and backup is the best method to be on the safe side with data storages.I used 9 SCSI HDDs in raid mode with cache controler and they run pretty fast.

But in these days the SSD drives seems to be ok like your experiences have shown.
I've also planed to test the ssd's as c:/ drive in my next maschine cause of the super fast boot time,but i wasn't shure about the write cyceles and how long an ssd would last but 6
years sounds ok to me. :)

My advice here is very simple - always go SSD if you can afford it.

The performance difference is astonishing. Just night and day.

@daspex - I used to do that (HDDs + HW RAID). SSD is still *far far far* faster.

Personally I use SSD for my OS and for games to be on, I use HDD's for storage and backup storage.

Boot up times are so much faster on a SSD, as far as browsing goes cool temps etc, game performance. However I have a ugly startup screen from my MOBO so it takes around 12 seconds for that to pass however once it does i'm instantly already on desktop within 5 seconds

Back