Multiple Switchable Over the Top Weapon Modes (MSOTWM)

So I was messing about with the Sandbox + mod earlier and I had this crazy idea. Sandbox + has a command that changes the upgrade level, what if I made each upgrade level completely change the way a gun works. For example, on the first upgrade the desert eagle fires exploding rounds with a huge ragdoll impulse, but then on the second upgrade it fires rockets instead. This is going off the idea that you could switch between these modes using said Sandbox + command. I would make the first upgrade for each weapon the vanilla max upgrade, then change all the others to be more over the top or generally OP. I would keep away from touching the weapons.xtbl file as much as possible so that NPC don't get these changes.

Anyway, here are some of my ideas.

Minigun that shoots VTOL lasers.
Alternate fire modes for various weapons, like a molotov launcher.
Satchel charges that create huge physics impulses rather than blowing things up.
Sonic gun that doesn't propel anything, but gibs people in a large area.
Sniper with explosive rounds that launches people with a ton of force and can one hit a tank.

These are just a few, and I am open to suggestions. My one concern with this mod though is overloading the weaponupgrades.xtbl file, so I'll more than likely get rid of any upgrades I'm not using and condense all vanilla upgrades into one to save space. My goal is to make Saints Row 3 more over the top, and make your character more overpowered for the fun factor. I'm also messing about with making certain weapons able to be shot from vehicles.

I'm digging the idea. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Shark gun lvl 4: Shark airstrike!

Anyway, have you maybe found a workaround for a bug/ill-conceived feature that prevents the player from downgrading his current weapon? I've been trying to fix it but without luck.

Ran into a pretty large problem. The weaponupgrades file does not allow switching of weapon classes, and i dont know how to get around that.
I'm trying to have the Cybercannon shoot like vanilla on no upgrade, but fire VTOL lasers on the second, but that requires me to change the weapon class from launcher to smg, and i dont know a way around that.

Likewise with trying to go from a pistol that shoots normal bullets to one that shoots rockets.
I'll try setting up an alt fire system like that on the fully upgraded krukov so that you can still shoot explosives while not changing the class.

Progress! I have the cybercannon set as an smg, yet it still fires the cybercannon shots at upgrade level 1, then at level 2 it shoots VTOL lasers. A nice bonus side effect to this is that the cybercannon works in vehicles :D

Only problem that I can't resolve is that it doesn't properly charge so i just set the explosion to level 3 regardless of charge. might get rid of the charging bar altogether. Just gotta do a few small tweaks to it, you cant use a grenade when you have the cybergun atm, it just fires another cybergun shot.

Just a quick note... One problem I've had in the past with mods that change weapon upgrades is that the changes seems to be a permanent part of the save, even after removing the mod files. It might be worth doing some thorough testing with your project and potentially posting a warning if it does.

Just got another idea, this time for the cyber-smg. i can make it rapidfire lvl3 cybercannon shots, and another that shoots the pixel bombs that the ASP does.

Oh and i wonder if its possible to make the sonicgun suck things in instead of propel them outwards. maybe a negative force?

I'd suggest a model similar to the flamethrower on a brute, but shoots green gooey slime.
That way, we'd have Saints Row: Ghostbusta's In Steelport.

Back