[Mod Release] Jacob_MP's Johnny Gat Player Mod

===== MOD NAME =====

[Xenia] Jacob_MP's Johnny Gat Player Mod

===== MOD OVERVIEW =====

- Allows players to play as Johnny Gat. This mod replaces the player's character meshes of the four default presets (the hair, eyes, sideburns and body if the player is Caucasian, Hispanic, etc.). This also affects the player's default clothes, making these clothes completely invisible as to not cause them to clip through the character model that you're trying to play around with.

- Highly recommended to be used when starting a new game as opposed to using them on an existing character as visual bugs may occur (floating clothing items, etc.).

- Players can still buy, wear and change clothing items with this mod installed, though some character model bugs (excluding crashes) may occur.

- Only tested to work with Saints Row (2006) when launched with the Xenia emulator (see installation instructions below if you get stuck).

- Mod adaptations and tweaks are welcome. Remember to have fun with it and feel free to let me know if you find anything new!

- The original packfiles are included for those who wish to reverse the effects of this mod.

- New game highly recommended.

===== INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS =====

- Extract the compressed mod folder.

- Copy and paste the enclosed packfiles folder on top of your packfiles folder in your Saints Row game directory (emulated via Xenia).

- Start up the game and enjoy!

- Stuck with modding or installation? Check out Flippy's video here (How to Play Saints Row 1 on the PC):

===== KNOWN ISSUES =====

- Players may sometimes see gaps and holes in their character model, though issues like these are kept at a minimum when the player character has the minimum settings for their fat and muscle (via character creation and/or plastic surgeons around Stilwater).

- Textures on the player's character model may not always be loaded in, excluding those times where the character that they're playing as is present during their respective missions (not including instances where their appearances are limited to cutscenes for said missions). For example, if the player is playing as Johnny Gat, then the textures for this character will not be loaded until Johnny Gat is present in the game world (i.e. he appears in a mission started by the player). After dozens of hours of in-game experimentation, I did not encounter any crashes due to this issue, though I am (somewhat) actively looking for solutions to this. See the enclosed file "sr1 notes about changing character models.txt" for my full notes on this, then proceed to lock me away for being a mad man and not proofreading what I've written down (jokes aside, all of the details in that document are correct and have some possible solutions attached). Make sure to archive it and spread it around, if you have to.

- Controller acting like a mouse? If so, disable Xbox Configuration Support via Steam (if Steam is installed) by selecting Steam > Settings > Controller > General Controller Settings. This issue isn't attributed to this mod and is only one of many solutions to this issue.
**Check this Twitter post of mine for more info on this:
- Additional solution to the above (controller acting like a mouse): https://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum...-like-a-mouse-for-xenia-emulator-users.20347/

===== CREDITS =====

- Jacob_MP (myself): Substituting player character meshes with other in-game characters.

- Flippy: Introducing many of us to emulating this game and modding it, credited for creating the aforementioned tutorial (How to Play Saints Row 1 on the PC). See installation instructions above for Flippy's video tutorial.

I'm also planning on showcasing mods for Saints Row (2006) and other games via my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnTQ5SsRGZuWdTnZMiMs4fA

Attachments

• saints-row_-_johnny_gat_player_mod_-_jacob_mp.rar
    89.6 MB · Views: 64
hmmm if we gotta make a new save for these custom characters maybe if its possible to create a mod for Saints Row where everything is 100% from the start?

Like all Cribs unlocked, All Unlockable Unlocks, All Homies, All Missions Completed.

I'm thinking of creating a mod like that.

hmmm if we gotta make a new save for these custom characters maybe if its possible to create a mod for Saints Row where everything is 100% from the start?

Like all Cribs unlocked, All Unlockable Unlocks, All Homies, All Missions Completed.

I'm thinking of creating a mod like that.
I've loaded up saves before that were made before making this mod and they seem to work fine, though such saves had Playa in his default outfit and clothes. The mod makes these parts invisible (eyes, hair, shirt, jeans, sideburns, etc.) and simply replaces the base mesh with Johnny Gat's model, so there shouldn't be an issue with loading up this mod with one of your 100% saves. The only other thing I'd keep in mind is your characters' fat and muscle sliders. If they're any higher than the lowest settings, it'd result in some holes and clipping in Johnny Gat's model, but it can be fixed as normal by popping into a Plastic Surgeon and putting Playa's fat and muscle on the lowest settings again.

If someone was to load up an existing save with this mod while Playa isn't wearing their default clothes (chains, etc.), then at worst it'd just result in floating clothing items, which may confuse some players as it might appear as if the mod isn't working right. In reality, it doesn't touch these items at all. I didn't run into any crashes while doing this, though, which is a plus.

Feel free to use any part of the mod in your projects and my notes too if you want. I've got other SR1 bits and pieces coming out which I'll post on this site, too.

CabooseSayzWTF immediately found a workaround (below) with the texture loading issue, so I'm looking into getting an updated version of this mod uploaded. I'll still keep this original one up, though.

CabooseSayzWTF (14/05/2024):

"If you want to fix the free roam texture issue, you can just take any texture that isn't loading right, extract it, and add it to the always_loaded.peg file in pegfiles, take the texture entries from the peg xml file and add the entries into the peg xml file for always loaded. You'll have to do that for any texture that isn't loading right. Example, most of johnny working via free-roam non mission and non ringing johnny up to be in the world. I just got home and got most of johnny working in about 3 mins. I can't guarantee this to always work, johnny here has broken shoe texture and I think belt texture, and the gold chain may be slightly meh but anyways maybe this will help you for future reference. if you don't want to do that, you can also just place the NPC in the world in a cts file such as sr_city.cts and set up a human spawn for it outside the map and give it the invulnerable flag and enable respawn flag (just be sure to set the stream load distance very very far), which does work also however cutscenes will most likely ignore the manually placed ped."

Last edited:
CabooseSaysWTF immediately found a workaround (below) with the texture loading issue, so I'm looking into getting an updated version of this mod uploaded. I'll still keep this original one up, though.
For future reference it's CabooseSayzWTF
With a z haha.

Back