1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minimaul's Saints Row IV tools

Discussion in 'Tool Releases' started by Minimaul, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Minimaul

Minimaul Administrator Staff Member

Fresh out of the box for Saints Row IV day 1, I bring you:
    • ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.BuildPackfile.exe: a command line packfile builder for Saints Row IV. Can optionally update asm_pc files when building str2_pc files. Ideal for use in batch files when building packfiles.
    • ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.BuildPackfileGUI.exe: a simplified GUI packfile builder for Saints Row IV. Can also update asm_pc files when building str2_pc files. Ideal for use when building one-off packfiles.
    • ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.BuildStrings.exe: a command line localisation string builder for Saints Row 2, Saints Row: The Third and Saints Row IV.
    • ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.ExtractPackfile.exe: command line packfile extractor for Saints Row IV. Ideal for use in batch files when extracting packfiles - vpp_pc and str2_pc files.
    • ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.ExtractPackfileGUI.exe: a simplified GUI packfile extractor for Saints Row IV. Ideal for use when extracting individual packfiles - vpp_pc and str2_pc files.
    • ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.ExtractStrings.exe: a command line localisation string extractor for Saints Row 2, Saints Row: The Third and Saints Row IV.
    • ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.RecursiveExtractor.exe: a command line tool that can extract all of the packages for Saints Row IV in one operation. Requires quite a bit of disk space.
    • ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.Stream2.exe: a command line tool that can update asm_pc files as well as provide information about the contents of asm_pc files.
    • ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.Stream2Update.exe: a tool that automatically extracts the necessary asm_pc files for your current mods and updates them appropriately.
    The tools are available for download from this post (as attachments) and the source code is (as always) available at: https://src.tomjepp.co.uk/hg/ThomasJepp.SaintsRow

These tools and their source code are licensed under the WTFPL - a very simple license. You may use these tools and all source code to do whatever the fuck you want. Just don't blame me if it breaks.

For help with these tools, post in the Get Help/Troubleshooting forum for Saints Row IV, and for tutorials on how to use these tools check out the Guides and Tutorials forum.

If you're a more advanced user trying to use the command line tools, just run them in a command prompt with no parameters and they should show you a reasonable amount of help text.

Change log
    • Revision 22 (2013/09/21):
      • Make Stream2Update check that the paths it finds for SRIV in the registry are actually correct. Try some backup paths if they are not.
      • Add the correct settings for dlc3.vpp_pc, dlc4.vpp_pc, patch_compressed.vpp_pc and patch_uncompressed.vpp_pc to the built-in list of packfiles.
      • Fix extracting preload_anim.vpp_pc and preload_rigs.vpp_pc.
      • Fix building preload_anim.vpp_pc, preload_rigs.vpp_pc, and soundboot.vpp_pc.
    • Revision 18 (2013/08/31):
      • Don't automatically close Stream2Update when finished.
    • Revision 17 (2013/08/31):
      • Tiny change to ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.Stream2Update.
    • Revision 16 (2013/08/31):
      • added ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.Stream2Update
      • fixed building normal vpp_pc files - all vpp_pc files now build and work OK except preload_anim.vpp_pc, preload_rigs.vpp_pc and soundboot.vpp_pc.
    • Revision 12 (2013/08/19): first release.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  2. 100000% awesome already!
  3. Well clothing mods be possible with the tools?
  4. [V] IdolNinja

[V] IdolNinja Volition Staff

Weapons/clothing/vehicle/npc creation will be possible in the future with the actual SDK release. These are just basic tools for file formats and editing scripts/tables; similar to our existing SR2 and SRTT tools. Keep your eye on the announcements forum for future details regarding the SDK.
  5. The command line version doesn't appear to be working (at least for me). I drag and drop a SR4 VPP_PC file onto the executable and it gives me an unhandled IO exception stating that "a file or directory with the same name already exists".

The GUI version works like a champ.

EDIT: Just noticed that your tools for SR4 are including the extension as part of the folder name. So instead of getting "misc_tables" for a folder name it now gives "misc_tables.vpp_pc".
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  6. Minimaul

Yeah - you will need to extract files to a different folder to the ones that they came from. Drag/drop isn't really ideal.
  7. Thank you, kind sir.

EDIT: Yup, I was being dumb, didn't think to try the extract packfile app on the str2_pc file. Works like a charm.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2013
  8. Sooo I tried packing the files back into a vpp_pc file and it just corrupts my game (luckily I backed up the specific file). And no it isn't because I changed something and mucked it up. I even tried just extracting the files, which worked, then not even touching it and packing it back into a vpp_pc and it still makes my game crash.
  9. Now that I have unpacked the str2_pc file of my choosing, how do I unpack the .cvbm_pc and .gvbm_pc files inside of it? The unpacker tool crashes when I try, if I'm supposed to use it. [using GUI version]
  10. Minimaul

Try the SR3 texture tools - if they won't work then you'll have to wait for someone to release something that will.

Can you tell me which vpp_pc you're trying to repack?