Micro freezing/lagging

Hey, I recently start to replay Saints Row IV with all mods on (Things to do... stuff) and suddenly the game start to mini-freeze around every 30-40 seconds for just some seconds, then works fine until next lag/freeze. Then I removed all mods, checked game integrity and played vanilla. Same story. I even set the graphic options to the lowest. Same story.
So I deinstalled and reinstalled the game, vanilla. Same fn story.

This never happened before... okay, last time I played was some years ago. But what the hell happened?

P. S. this issue starts already in the main menu, even before the actual playing.

Playing offline fixes the issue.

This never happened before... okay, last time I played was some years ago.

I didnt had the problem during the first months of 2018 if my memory doesnt betrays me, so its kinda new.

The same happens to me with SRTT, maybe is a consequence of the character gallery shutting down last year.

There are a lot of complaints about it on the Steam forums (SR3 and SR4).

The three solutions that people have had some success with are:
  1. Play with Steam in offline mode
  2. Add the following line to your Windows "hosts" file: 127.0.0.1 sr3.hydra.agoragames.com
  3. Add the following line to your Windows "hosts" file: 208.67.222.222 sr3.hydra.agoragames.com
I haven't tried any of these, but I would recommend trying #1 or #2 first. #1 seems to work for everyone, but doesn't help if you want to play co-op. #2 should work with co-op. I don't know what that IP address is in #3, so I'm not sure how safe it is.

If you have questions or issues editing your hosts file, let me know. Let me know which of these, if any, work for you.

Last edited:
There are a lot of complaints about it on the Steam forums (SR3 and SR4).

The three solutions that people have had some success with are:
  1. Play with Steam in offline mode
  2. Add the following line to your Windows "hosts" file: 127.0.0.1 sr3.hydra.agoragames.com
  3. Add the following line to your Windows "hosts" file: 208.67.222.222 sr3.hydra.agoragames.com
I haven't tried any of these, but I would recommend trying #1 or #2 first. #1 seems to work for everyone, but doesn't help if you want to play co-op. #2 should work with co-op. I don't know what that IP address is in #3, so I'm not sure how safe it is.

If you have questions or issues editing your hosts file, let me know. Let me know which of these, if any, work for you.

Quantum you are god. I just tried the second option. IT WORKS. A bit laggy instead of freezing.

Btw, is it safe to do this?

Last edited:
I just tried the second option. IT WORKS. A bit laggy instead of freezing.

Btw, is it safe to do this?
Yes, it's perfectly safe to use the second option. That redirects the domain "sr3.hydra.agoragames.com" to your local computer (127.0.0.1 is localhost). Since your local computer is not running a server at that address, it immediately fails when the game tries to access it, with little delay or pause.

It looks like, when that server went offline, it causes the game to pause when it's waiting for a response from the server over the internet. I'm not sure why the game keeps trying to access that server. Maybe it's trying to send some sort of telemetry.

Last edited:
Yes, it's perfectly safe to use the second option. That redirects the domain "sr3.hydra.agoragames.com" to your local computer (127.0.0.1 is localhost). Since your local computer is not running a server at that address, it immediately fails when the game tries to access it, with no delay or pause.

Amazing, this should be really helpful, thanks. Ill try to share it on steam :)

Yo, I used the second solution and it worked like a charm. Thank you very much for fast resolving, guys. I think this thread can be closed as it's resolved perfectly.

Back