Location of crib art textures

I want to edit the textures for the various art that shows up in your crib. I cannot for the life of me find where those textures are. Does anyone happen to know which peg file contains those textures or an easier way to find them than by hand?

You can't. Those textures are part of the world geometry and not stored in peg files. We have no tools to extract/repack them.

That explains that. Thanks.

It really bums me out too. SR2 could definitely use some HQ upgrades to a lot of the textures. Some of the posters look absolutely atrocious.

I find it strange how inconsistent the game is behind the scenes. I wonder if it's the result of problems they were having, or of a rushed development cycle.

Saints Row 2 is anything but rushed (imo).
That said, does SR2 share the same engine with Volition's earlier games, like Summoner? Could explain the inconsistencies, with new features being built upon the previous iterations of the engine.

Saints Row 2 is anything but rushed (imo).
That said, does SR2 share the same engine with Volition's earlier games, like Summoner? Could explain the inconsistencies, with new features being built upon the previous iterations of the engine.
SR2's exe mentions PS2 and the original xbox in code, so I'm guessing yes.

It's really annoying me that texture editing is done this way. I hope Volition gives a different way to change textures in SR4, but honestly I doubt it.

You can't. Those textures are part of the world geometry and not stored in peg files. We have no tools to extract/repack them.

Bit of a follow up: Is the world geometry what is stored in chunks1.vpp_pc, etc.?

Taking a look inside those, there's .CHUNK_PC, .G_CHUNK_PC, and .G_PEG_PC files. I'd guess that G_CHUNK_PC is the models, G_PEG_PC is the textures, and CHUNK_PC is a descriptor file of sorts.

I'm not sure how much this has been explored, but I wouldn't mind taking a crack at these files. I know the G_PEG_PC files have already been deciphered.

Related: Is the source code available for PegTool? Or at least a description of the PEG_PC and G_PEG_PC formats?

Bit of a follow up: Is the world geometry what is stored in chunks1.vpp_pc, etc.?

Taking a look inside those, there's .CHUNK_PC, .G_CHUNK_PC, and .G_PEG_PC files. I'd guess that G_CHUNK_PC is the models, G_PEG_PC is the textures, and CHUNK_PC is a descriptor file of sorts.

I'm not sure how much this has been explored, but I wouldn't mind taking a crack at these files. I know the G_PEG_PC files have already been deciphered.

Related: Is the source code available for PegTool? Or at least a description of the PEG_PC and G_PEG_PC formats?
Yeah, those are world files.
chunk_pc will be descriptors, anything starting with g_ is loaded directly onto the GPU by the game - so there's nothing in there but geometry or texture data - not even the dimensions are in those files.

https://github.com/saintsrowmods/SaintsRow2Tools/ - Source code is here, knock yourself out :)
PegTool's code is fairly dodgy - it was originally what I was using for my experiments and I never got around to cleaning it up :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back