Keyboard Input Method Problem

Hello!

I have this problem when I started SR4 for the 1st time, which left me stumped after some time, but found my own solution in the end. I'd like to share this bug report as someone else might encounter the problem.

Computer Settings:
  • Using Windows 8.1 Pro x64
  • My computer's Language for non-Unicode programs is set to Japanese (Japan).
  • I have additional Japanese IME installed, so I can access it using <WinKey+Space>
Problem Chronology:
  • Saints Row 4 quits abruptly after ATI Logo. There's no Error message nor Event Viewer log.
  • I realized that I pressed the <Enter> key to skip the logo. I concluded that trying to skip the ATI logo will quit the game. However, I can skip the Deep Silver Logo just fine.
  • I let the game run without any input and it gets to title screen. Hooray!
  • I pressed <Down> key. The game quits.
  • I run the game again until title screen and navigate using my controller. The game works!
  • On Zero Saints Thirty, I figured that it would be better experience if I use keyboard and mouse, so I grabbed my mouse, and then pushed <W> on keyboard. The game quits.
  • At this time I think there's something faulty with my keyboard, but I noticed that my input method is currently set to Japanese IME.
  • I switched back to EN-US using <WinKey+Space>
  • The game now works with keyboard.
Conclusion:
The game doesn't like Japanese IME :( Tho it's my fault anyway forgetting to pay attention to my input method, but then this is the first game that just quit upon receiving keyboard input.

Extra Info:
I tried this with SR3, but it crashed instead of just quitting. Fault offset said to be 0x0000d222.
Code:
Faulting application name: saintsrowthethird_dx11.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x4fbfd589
Faulting module name: imetip.dll, version: 15.0.9600.16384, time stamp: 0x521584c5
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000d222
Faulting process id: 0xa04
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf0c2916cb669a
Faulting application path: D:\Program Archive\Saints Row The Third\saintsrowthethird_dx11.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\IME\shared\imetip.dll

Also attached VIERGE's specs.

Attachments

• ViergeSpecs.txt
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,020
Last edited:
I've tested this on SRIV and can confirm I have the same issue.

Language for non-unicode programs is set to English (United Kingdom).

Back