Is this the end of good Windows days? Windows 7 is obsolete now...

As you're aware, Microsoft has discontinued support the their last good OS - Windows 7 since January 14, 2020. Even more nasty, now many new PC games released on Steam doesn't even have support for Windows 7 at all... I'm wonder where we are going now?

Windows 8.1 - It's now the only still supported older OS beside Windows 10. These are its main issues:
1. As I'm aware this OS has very few market share - about 4-5% only;
2. This OS (unlike discontinued Windows 7) lacks and never got DX12 support, so many of the new games can't be run on that OS at all, even though it is supported until January 2023.

Windows 10 - it has been out for like 5 years and getting new releases every 6 months. However, this OS still has major issues:
1. The issue with the forced updates existing since release. Home version users can't control them at all, while Pro version has some partial control, but still relies to periodical update installing;
2. However, Windows 10 has been suffered by issues / malfuction because of a faulty updates;
3. Also Windows 10 appears to collect data and sending it to Microsoft, as this have been issue since release;
4. Also that OS doesn't seems work properly for some people and on specific particular hardware configurations.

Linux Ubuntu / Debian / Fedora / Mint / Manjaro - I know these are always been free OSes, however they have issues as well:
1. Linux Ubuntu esspecially is really resource hungry, requiring slightly powerfull PC, but also it's one of the most popular ones;
2. Main and most frustrating thing about the freeware Linux distributions is fact you can't run natively Windows applications, even with Wine it is still NOT 100% same as compatibility as Windows 10 or any other native Windows OS;
3. Really annoying is also especially the gaming, majority of games lacks native Linux versions, and those which have a Linux ports have pretty much no support (seems Saints Row games Linux ports are in exact that postion);
4. Also, after discontinued support for Windows 7 by Microsoft's side, majority of the new games released on Steam now appears do support / runs on Windows 10 only, and NOTHING ELSE! No more Windows XP, now no more Windows 7, and NO ANY Linux distros can do that neither, sadly...

Summary:
So, we are limited to Windows 10 only for gaming from now on, because majority popular studios, as Electronic Arts and their Origin client (Need for Speed and FIFA games), Rockstar and their Rockstar Game Launcher (I'm fan of their GTAgames ), Ubisoft and their UPlay client (Watch Dogs and Assasin Creed franchise), and Square Enix (Fallout games) will probably NEVER HAVE support for Linux, that's main problem for migrating to Linux for me, also many tools for modding Grand Theft Auto games, including ASI C++ script mods, are also designed for Windows ONLY... There is NO WAY to change this...

Last edited:
Now this is the REAL END of Windows 7 / 8.1! Microsoft and Google has announced that they will release their last versions of their internet browsers Edge and Google Chrome browser (the most popular one) supporting both old OSes in middle of January 2023. All subsequent versions will only run on Windows 10 and 11:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...p-supporting-windows-7-and-8-in-january-2023/
https://www.windowscentral.com/soft...hrome-says-its-time-to-move-on-from-windows-7

Unfortunately, this means using Windows 7 (and Windows 8.1) will become extremely obsolete after several months without any actual browser support. The Windowscentral.com article also saying not only Google Chrome, but also any Chromium browser like Brave and Opera will most likely become unavailable if you're not on Windows 10 or 11.

On other side, a lots of old but perfectly working / capable PCs can't run / install Windows 11 at all due not only because of TPM 2.0 requirement, but more important - to its STRICT minimal CPU requirements! What to do owners of these PC after Windows 10 end of support? Literally any PC with an Intel CPU OLDER than Coffee Lake 8th generation or AMD CPU older than Ryzen CPU series is completely unsupported and lacks official ability to run Windows 11:
https://www.ghacks.net/2022/01/30/w...hat-are-incompatible-with-windows-11-in-2025/

I am assume Epic Store and Steam will probably drop support for Windows 7 and 8.1 at any point like Valve did with the Steam client back in 2016-2017 with Windows XP / Vista support...

Last edited:
Back