Ingame weapons to Cutscene?

So, I noticed some weapons (Tombstone and VICE9 for example) are more high-quality in cutscenes than in game. Is it possible to change the ingame models to the cutscene one so you get some high-quality looking weapons?

It sure is, and already a part of GotR. If memory serves, you need to change which mesh is used in items_3d.xtbl, then swap out the preloaded mesh with the new one in preload.tbl.

Alright, I got the items_3d.xtbl by extracting a file (Forgot which because this got extracted a year ago apparently), modified it to use the shotgun mesh (Which was simply changing "p_shotgun" to "cut_shotgun", added it on Saints Row 2 main folder, edited preload.tbl with notepad+ and changed p_shotgun to cut_shotgun but the shotgun doesn't appear.

Obviously, I did something wrong, so what should I do instead? You perhaps got a tutorial?

That's because SR2 doesn't work like SRTT. The edited files in sr2 need to be repacked back into the vpp_pc. They will not load loosely from the root.

Also, you can use patch.vpp_pc to repack any of the files from any of the vpp_pc archives since it gets loaded last and will overwrite anything previously loaded in memory.

Alright, so I have to put up items_3d.xtbl into patch.vpp_pc, and for preload.tbl I have to do nothing except add up "cut_shotgun.smesh" with Notepad+, right?

Yes.

But, keep in mind that preload.tbl has limited room, so you'll want to either put the new shotgun entry at the top to ensure that it actually loads (this may bump other things later in the list), or the better way is to replace the original entry with your new mesh. It's been a long time and my memory is a little fuzzy but you may be able to preload a few new meshes without any kind of consequence until it starts to force you to remove/reuse existing entries. There are also a ton of preload entries that are useless and not part of the game proper so you can also hunt those down to free up space.

It doesn't seem to work.

I added up the modified "items_3d.xtbl" to the patch.vpp_pc using Gibbed's tools, then I changed preload.tbl with notepad+ adding up "cut_shotgun.smesh" at the start, but, it is actually still the same mesh as before.

What's wrong now?

EDIT: Have to say, I wanted to try with pistol too but it disappears (and won't appear as the new cutscene-quality one) when I remove the old p_beretta variables to cut_pistol

You may also need to change it in items_inventory.xtbl as well.

Okay, that was true, changed it on items_inventory.xtbl and now the shotgun works.

But the pistol doesn't work.

Pistol appears, at least the mesh does, but it is like 10 metres away from the player so he isn't holding it right, he can't shoot, etc.

I did the same procedure as shotgun, changed "p_beretta" to "cut_pistol" and the rest. What's wrong? Something special about it?

I know cut_pistol works because I use it myself in GotR. I'm not sure why it's acting like that for you though. It may be one of the meshes that Redrage fixed. A lot of them are broken and he was able to fix positioning and stuff.

You may want to grab the latest build of GotR from my site and use any of the included smesh weapon files that would contain those fixes. After extracting, you'll find all modded files in:
..\Gentlemen_of_the_Row_Saints_Row_2_Super_Mod_v1.9_final\optional_mod_stuff\modified\

Back