In free roam (100% completed save game) my game suddenly randomly freezes (Still unresolved, just got rid of it)

I having issue when my game suddenly freezes. I playing like normal in free roam and while I just fighting Zinyak after rob a Stores game just freezes and I have to close it with force! :( I have following mods installed:

Golden CID Stays in place + Disable Anti-Superpowers Grenade https://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/golden-cid-stays-in-place.4794/;
No Notoriety https://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/open-notoriety.3743/
Customize any vehicle plus wardrobe color changer https://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/customize-any-vehicle-plus-wardrobe-color-changer.3217/ (I'm using Wardrobe color changer only though)
Extra clothing colors and extra makeup colors https://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/extra-clothing-colors-and-extra-makeup-colors.3215/
Clothes Fixes + Extended Wardrobe https://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum...aturing-the-latest-customization_items.13825/
Unlimited Super Powers Mod https://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/unlimited-super-powers-mod.3437/

Any ideas if any of those mods are obsolete and are NOT 100% compatible with latest patch, so know to remove it and search for compatible equivalent? I cannot enjoy this game with those random freezes... I think the "No Notoriety" might be incompatible, but need help about other mods - are any of them obsolete too?

Edit: I've played again and while I had no issues during actual gameplay, when I wanted to exit game, it just hanged and I was forced to shutdown it through Task Manager. WHY this game is so much broken on my system?!? :mad: Saints Row Gat Out of Hell runs without single issue for now on my PC...

Last edited:
My PC have following spec:

Dell Precision 3400
CPU Core 2 Quad 9450;
HDD 160 GB + 2 x 80 GB;
RAM 8 GB ECC;
DVD-RW
Nvidia GeForce 730 2 GB DDR5 64-bit (using driver ver. 347.52)

When I started to get the freezing, in graphic options I've was enabled following graphics:
Windowed mode - 1280 x 1024
Preset - Custom
Anti-aliasing - 2x MSAA
Filter Mode - Trilinear
Scene Detail - Medium
Lightning Detail - High
Shadow Detail - Low
Reflections - Low
Post processing detail - Off
Ambient Conclusion - Off

These settings has made the game started issues me. Then I've disabled the anti-aliasing (switching the option from MSAA 2x to Off) and enabled Anisotropic 2x instead. Freezing / Hanging stopped during gameplay with these new settings, but game started to stop working when I attempt to exit game after least 1 hour I've had played in.

Then decided to try this: I've set Filter Mode back to Trilinear without setting any Anti-aliasing in my game. Also I've had NVidia Experience running on my computer in background, so I've decide to uninstall it and try game without this running. Interesting, this time game was fine without any anti-aliasing and Filter mod active and without NVidia Experience running in background. I've robbed several shops in Virtual Steelport as well fighting Zinyak in the Restricted area Sierra Point, and the game did NOT froze or gave hanging or any other issues / glitches even with Steam Overlay and FPS counter enabled. But I think I might be able to finally play the game flawlessly.

I'm using one more mod I forgot to mention in my previous post - Homies to Super Homies- Genki Edition https://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/homies-to-super-homies-genki-edition.5739/

Last edited:
I've played again and found something - Donnie homie from Enter the Dominatrix DLC unlocked in the savegame I've downloaded seems to bugs and breaks the game somehow (I'm own all DLCs for Saints Row IV)! I now after many freezes got the conclusion - my game freezes and suddenly stops responding only when I have called Donnie as homie and I have him in any of the Homie slots! Tried many of other homies and every time when in my game Donnie Super Homie from ETD DLC is NOT CALLED and he is NOT present on Homie slots, the game is just fine, but if I have him following me, game stops responding and hangs from nowhere! Seems there is something wrong with this particular DLC homie only, as the other two homies from this DLC - Dom The Dom male and The Dominatrix female homies, doesn't break the game as it is fine with them called, same with all other base game's and DLC homies. So seems I have to avoid using Donnie in all costs, if I want flawless gaming... I had also verified integrity cache of the game and everything is OK. Edit: The Dominatrix homie (the female one with horns on her head) has made game broke in unresponsive state twice while I have her called, so I have to stop using her too along with Donnie.

Edit: This wasn't the reason for random freezes - I found the real reason and I published it in the last post...

Last edited:
I've found beside the Donnie homie bug, the game also freezes with some specific hairstyles, as when I change my hairstyle with any of them for my character in Image As Designed, and then play with those specific hairstyles, the game will also hang and freezes like hell (even without have Donnie Super Homie called). Strange thing is, if I swap any of those broken hairstyles for some of others, the game is fine and the freezing is gone completely and I can play in free roam for even 2-3 hours without a single error. Also I now decided to disable some of the DLC because I've played on my friend's copy of Saints Row IV when it was patch 6.1 with some of DLC not being available yet and his copy of the game never was suffered by similar freezing issue at all. I've played now with GameStop Weapon Contest DLC and Saints Row Season Pass DLC disabled (I've unchecked those in my DLC list) and played the game for an hour and little more time and when I decided to stop playing, I exit the game, but instead to click the "Quit To Desktop" option, I pressed Alt + F4 instead and game exited without the typical hanging and stopping responding... I might be close to real issue...

Edit: This wasn't the reason for random freezes - I published them in last post...

Last edited:
I've found actually The Dominatrix female homie from ETD DLC also can break game. Although it happens rarely and not much often as with Donnie homie from same DLC, I've got my game suddenly lock-up and stopped responding twice (second time was just yesterday after only about a half hour of playing) while I've had her called in homie slots. So I may have to discard using that homie too along with Donnie. Also I've discovered an another clothing item that made game froze on first time I've has equipped it - Vampire Repellant Earnings available in "Piercings" category in Planet Zin store.

Edit: This also wasn't the reason for random freezes - I published it in last post...

Last edited:
Nope! I've played about 3-4 days ago and game just froze after about an hour running with 100 CPU usage!!! :mad: Today I've decided to play again and my Saints Row IV just hang again while I've was purchasing items in Let's Pretend with 99% CPU usage! I've uninstalled the game and will try reinstall it again, but I now have much less hopes about Saints Row IV. I think I simply cannot get this game to run properly without those shitty lots of random lockups, as I've have got least 30 freezes in Saints Row IV compared to other games (GTA and other Saints Row games) I have. Even the shitty ported Saints Row 2 works in free roam too much more stable with Gentleman of Row 1.9.2 mod (except for one small specific area on map I've discovered which appears to trigger crashing) but in fact in Saints Row 2 I'm had only 2 crashes of total compared to least 25 random freezes in Saints Row IV and since I've tracked down the bad area I might not get any more crashes in SR2). I think if get random lockups in Saints Row IV still have tendency for random lockups / freezes after reinstalling it I might have no choice to forget Saints Row IV and I might have to get an another PC and might get also an AMD Radeon GPU since on my current PC with NVIDIA GPU this game appears totally broken and unplayable. :( I cannot do it anymore, guys! I running out of ideas now...

Edit: I've reinstalled the game but it still froze at Let's Pretend store menu, but I seems to found why this occurs. My monitor got broken and its' screen picture has become with incorrect gamma colors and has become pretty dark even with its brightnesss / contrast set to maximum compared to before. So in Nvidia Control panel I'm now currently use custom higher brightness / gamma to correct signal and make my screen brighter and closer to previous color calibration. Unfortunately, Sainst Row IV appears doesn't like similar forced custom color profiles because on both times when I have custom color settings in NVidia's Control Panel instead of default color available for every application, the game just stopped responding from nowhere after only 1-2 minutes in any clothing store menu! So, I seems have to NOT play the game until I plug the new monitor so I can do no longer need using the custom colors and revert to default color settings because appears Saints Row IV cannot handle any custom colors from color calibration profiles or forced custom color settings in NVIDIA Control Panel / AMD Crimson control center...

Last edited:
I played a few times more and... Nope! With "Dynamic Time of Day" Workshop mod and "Customize any vehicle plus wardrobe color changer" removed game seems to freezes a lot less, but I still got game went unresponsive from nowhere twice! I really cannot play flawlessly this game with my current PC configuration. Appears Saints Row IV just can run normally only with integrated Intel HD Graphics and with AMD GPUs, but seems to hang or freezes pretty often with NVidia videocards! Also seems I'm not only one with this issue - on Steam Community forums almost all peoples (probably 95%) getting random freezes in their Saints Row IV like me are also using a NVidia card like my PC, but almost nobody with an integrated Intel HD Graphics or an AMD GPU is having such problems with the game. Someone from Steam is running the game with integrated Intel and he posted Saints Row IV in fact works fine with the Intel HD Graphics' drivers.

My conclusion: This game just DOES NOT WORK CORRECTLY on configurations with NVidia GPUs! The fact the game almost doesn't suffer similar issues on players with an AMD GPU, and fact even on crappy Intel HD Graphics it also works fine with almost NO random freezes / crashes clearly tells only one thing: Saints Row IV badly needs a PATCH for NVidia players! Please, Volition, fix that awful major issue... :(

Last edited:
I played a few times more and... Nope! With "Dynamic Time of Day" Workshop mod and "Customize any vehicle plus wardrobe color changer" removed game seems to freezes a lot less, but I still got game went unresponsive from nowhere twice! I really cannot play flawlessly this game with my current PC configuration. Appears Saints Row IV just can run normally only with integrated Intel HD Graphics and with AMD GPUs, but seems to hang or freezes pretty often with NVidia videocards! Also seems I'm not only one with this issue - on Steam Community forums almost all peoples (probably 95%) getting random freezes in their Saints Row IV like me are also using a NVidia card like my PC, but almost nobody with an integrated Intel HD Graphics or an AMD GPU is having such problems with the game. Someone from Steam is running the game with integrated Intel and he posted Saints Row IV in fact works fine with the Intel HD Graphics' drivers.

My conclusion: This game just DOES NOT WORK CORRECTLY on configurations with NVidia GPUs! The fact the game almost doesn't suffer similar issues on players with an AMD GPU, and fact even on crappy Intel HD Graphics it also works fine with almost NO random freezes / crashes clearly tells only one thing: Saints Row IV badly needs a PATCH for NVidia players! Please, Volition, fix that awful major issue... :(
I have used all the mods you list without issues. However, I do not currently keep any mods that change/add or replace Homies.

I've been playing SRIV on two 660 GTX in SLI for 2 years...no issues with drivers...and I stay up to date with current, non-beta drivers.

Remember: modding a game is basically hacking the game to do what it was not meant to do at release. Also, remember, Workshop mods aren't fail-safe and could produce conflicts with mods that are installed manually. Also, if you watch the intro bink trailers when you start the game, you might notice AMD has its brand tucked in there.

All of that said, I can trace any and all freezes/CTDs/etc to something that I have done (by editing xtbl files myself), and soon after correct the issue by removing mods or my own edits (during mission play especially) and using hard saves (not auto-saves). Most of your thread here points to (from my experience with gaming and modding for 15 years or more) overheating, or component failure, or incomplete DX9 dynamic libraries. If you overclock, turn it down some...don't push the envelope too hard. Easy to test if it is overheating from videocard: get FurMark...stress test. Check memory for failures with MemTEST. Stable CPU overclocks can be tested with Prime95...if you don't freeze after an hour or two, should be stable enough for gaming. If you have a super paranoid security setup on your PC, you might let the game have some freedom...and Steam too, since you have to let the Steam talk to servers once in a while. Be sure you don't have "sync to cloud" enabled in Steam, this can inadvertently replace some mod assets with what you have on the cloud.

If the game were crashing and freezing for EVERYONE using nVidia products, there would have been patches during the release period-or the first two years the game was out, or possibly an nVidia driver release with highlights mentioning fixes to Saints Row IV...

The BEST way to find out what is causing your issue(s) is to remove all mods, play your 100% save for an hour or so and find out if issues arise without mods. Then install ONE MOD at a time, play for an hour or so...rinse and repeat until you find the culprit.

I played Oblivion with 130+GB of mods 256 plugins (the max), same with Skyrim, only far more textures so hitting at nearly 150GB OF MODS, full 256 plugins (max)...same with Neverwinter Nights...I currently have over 155 xtbl files in my SRIV directory, and both sr3city and game lua merged mods and still my SRIV game is stable...(unlike SRTT, which likes to freeze almost anytime there is melee and no matter if I have one "mod" (xtbl file) or more.) When it comes down to it, 99% of modding failure is due to end user error.

I wish you good luck finding your solution.

... the Opera browser being opened .... However, appears Windows Firewall can also lead freeze / break the game if it is enabled...

Never gotten a problem running any type of game under an AMD card, matter of fact I seem to like AMD cards. On another note, why try to run a game while having unnecessary programs running in the background anyway, it makes no sense. Speaking about Windows Firewall, I have it enabled all the time and still I have no problems!

Last edited:
Back