How to write a good report for a crash bug

[V] Knobby

Volition Staff
Just hopping into a thread and saying that your game crashed is unfortunately not very useful information. If you'd like to help us get to the bottom of it, we need some more information. The first step is to use the event log as described below to figure out where you crashed and find the existing thread or create a new one if one doesn't exist. Please don't make an "I crashed bug".

Step one is to search for an existing thread with your crash address and module before posting a new thread. If one exists, just add a post with the same information you would put into a new report. Please don't just reply and say "That happened to me too! I hope it gets fixed.". We're looking for solutions to problems that don't happen very often and when they do they seem to happen more to specific machines. By posting your information as well, it makes it easier to track down a crash that happens on a single video card chipset or motherboard.

If you end up making a new thread, please name the thread appropriately. It will quickly become impossible to track down who's issue has been solved and who still has problems if the threads are not named well. For my example thread title, I'm using this event viewer information:
Code:
Faulting application name: SaintsRowIV.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x520bf117
Faulting module name: SaintsRowIV.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x520bf117
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00d692c6
Faulting process id: 0x1058
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce9f5ab40a8361
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Saints Row IV\SaintsRowIV.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Saints Row IV\SaintsRowIV.exe

In my example, the proper title for the thread is "Crash at address 0x00d692c6 in module SaintsRowIV.exe".
  • The address is the fault offset from the event log, which is "Fault offset: 0x00d692c6" in my example
  • The module is the faulting module name, which is "Faulting module name: SaintsRowIV.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x520bf117" in my example
A good bug report will contain the following:
  • msinfo32
    • click start -> run -> type in msinfo32 in the window and press enter
    • file->export and attach that document to your report
  • Event log report - many thanks to zefie for this tutorial
    • right click on "Computer" in start Menu, choose "Manage"
    • look for the crash in the event viewer for SR4 and post the contents of the dialog box
      View attachment 3514
  • Information about how to make it happen - Saying I was flying around the city isn't too helpful, try to also include things like:
    • Coop or single player?
    • Host or client? (client is the one that joined the other's game)
    • How long have you be playing in this session before the crash
    • Does it happen repeatedly in the same spot with the same input

Thanks for helping us make the game a better experience for everyone!

Well, crashes are bad. Crash bug reports are good ;)

Just a note:

All crash bugs that do not do the above will be deleted.

I'd like to add that you should now see mdmp files generated from your crashes. It is not necessary since we get these automagically, but attaching them to your posts can't hurt since we go from anonymous crash reports to reports that represent real people. I might be able to tell you if your crash has been fixed, but PLEASE keep in mind that there are a lot of us fixing bugs and I don't know every crash. A lack of response doesn't mean your crash isn't fixed and doesn't mean that we don't care. :)

If you need to report a bug, please create a NEW thread in this forum with the information requested in Posts #1 and #5.

Back