How the hell do textures work? IDK!

Firstly, I would like to make an official statement:

tHiS tHinG iS dRiViNg mE InsAne

Thank you for your attention! Now allow me to explain myself; I've been trying for about 2 or 3 days to make a simple pair of stirrup bodysuit for my character, as part of a mod project, in the form of a retexture of it's skin (f_ideal_d.tga), it was going well, until I loaded up the game to test it. It was misaligned on the foot, as you can see here on her right foot:
2ic15hl.jpg

As a way to try to guess what went wrong, I started to draw a simple line that went over, and under, the foot, to see If i could align it, as you can see here, all the attemps (presented in different line colors) went wrong:
1ylv11.jpg

My objective is simple, to make point A touch point B, perfectly. I've tried in many, many ways...
1s1oc7.png

But it never works...What do you think?

You are trying to join your line across texture seams, which is difficult to do without a 3d texture editor. Without exporting the entire model and texture into a 3d texture editor, it's hard to know where things align. It will take a lot of trial and error using a 2d editor. I've done some texture editing using the trial-and-error approach, and I know the seams are very difficult.

You should render UV net to texture and place it above your texture to see seams. Also there are some 3d textures editors like substance paint, or 3d coat.

You should render UV net to texture and place it above your texture to see seams. Also there are some 3d textures editors like substance paint, or 3d coat.
So, how do render this UV net? Is it something I can achieve in GIMP using only the game's files or something? I am new to this retexture process, I have worked mostly with gun textures, where it is more obvious to see what part goes where.

Back