Saints Row IV How the Dubstep Gun Handles Music?

Okay so there was a post created by Hacksaw123 about changing the music of the Dubstep Gun to Metal instead of Dubstep (click here to visit it).

Well one question I brought up is how exactly the gun is effected by the music that plays when it's fired. I believe that the gun is effected (as you can see in post #9). Now I strongly believe that the gun varies per song where parts of the gun, the wavelengths it launches, and the environment around the player.

The question I have is how exactly is this done? Is Saints Row IV programmed to handle any audio track passed in (which again I go into a theory maybe in post #9) or was each track manually programmed (it's animation, effects, ext) for each track?

That make sense?

Last edited:
I guess technically it COULD use beat detection, but only Volition knows if it does or not. On a side note, I notice the levers move in sequence with the music, but the VU meters do their own thing.

That and the idea of them throwing it in as added overhead/memory when they're busy squeezing every bit of the hundreds of megs (not gig, hundreds) the consoles allow? Yeah.

I suppose now the question becomes: Are the pulse/wub patterns/colours handled by the animation files? Or are there 3 effect types (one for each of the 3 variants)? Or is this hardcoded?

Cause if we go adding new variants, it'd be nice to know 'sorry, no tweaking the wubs unless we expose it' or 'you'll have to wait until we release the anim format/tools' or possibly 'not until you can edit the effects directly, and we'll have to figure a way to add new ones'

That and the idea of them throwing it in as added overhead/memory when they're busy squeezing every bit of the hundreds of megs (not gig, hundreds) the consoles allow? Yeah.

I try not to remember that PC releases are gimped by consoles, which is why I can't wait for next gen.

I suppose now the question becomes: Are the pulse/wub patterns/colours handled by the animation files? Or are there 3 effect types (one for each of the 3 variants)? Or is this hardcoded?

I'll sit down with one of the dudes that set these up and get more details, but here's what I know:
1. The music track is selected by the audio designer, approved by the weapon designer, etc.
2. The music track is manually given markers for beats, wubs, and miscellaneous slams. This is the time-consuming part.
3. These markers trigger the projectiles, VFX, and dancing.
4. The audio track is broken up into equip loop, attack (ramp-up sample), loop (the part that actually fires), and release (cool down after firing). The markers only exist on the loop.

Without these markers, the weapon wouldn't even fire. In fact, for a time during development, the weapon wouldn't fire at all if the player had either music or SFX disabled through the options menu. This weapon is unique in this way - All other weapons have audio triggered by the weapon firing, projectile, or VFX.

I'll figure out if these markers are transferrable or hard-coded, and if the former, whether or not they can be modded. I'd love to see some of the possibilities the community can come up with.

Score! Thanks for the breakdown. I figured it was in the animations, not markers on the songs. Since it's in a song, if it IS moddable in the song.. we're gonna have some fun. If it's hard-coded though, the question then is how much trouble it'd be to pull it out into something we could actually do ourselves for any given music track we throw in.

Neat though.. instead of the weapon triggering the firing sounds, the sounds trigger the weapon firing!

Back