How do I start making my own mods?

Hello.

I would really like to start making my own mods to possibly release here (if they are good enough) but I have no idea where to start and I was wondering if somebody here would be able to point me in the right direction.
I need to know a few things before I can start making mods, since I have no experience except for tweaking a few xtbl files.

So here are my questions:

Can anyone make mods and release them here?
What are the tools that I need to get started?
How easy is it to make mods?
Is retexturing NPC's a possibility?
Where can I go to learn more about modding?
Is it possible to use Unity to edit anything, like NPC's, cars and other game assets?

So those are the things that I really need to know to get started, I need as much information as possible because that would make it less of a possibility of me breaking something, but of course, I would always test before releasing anything.

Yes
Gibbed tools is good if you are looking to extract any of the packfiles for SR3.
That is subjective and probably depends. Personally I tend to cry my eyes dry trying to find info in this forum.
Yes, use SR3 Texture Utilities once you figure out Gibbed tools
If you are talking Saints Row modding, Saints Row has a special case, where all the games are very similar, so you can look in any page and learn something that may apply to the SR game you are trying to mod. I recommend typing modding questions on Google, it works pretty well.
Is it possible to use Unity to edit anything, like NPC's, cars, and other game assets?
...Saints Row runs on the Havok engine, not sure if that would be an issue. Not my expertise.

Yes
Gibbed tools is good if you are looking to extract any of the packfiles for SR3.
That is subjective and probably depends. Personally I tend to cry my eyes dry trying to find info in this forum.
Yes, use SR3 Texture Utilities once you figure out Gibbed tools
If you are talking Saints Row modding, Saints Row has a special case, where all the games are very similar, so you can look in any page and learn something that may apply to the SR game you are trying to mod. I recommend typing modding questions on Google, it works pretty well.
Is it possible to use Unity to edit anything, like NPC's, cars, and other game assets?
...Saints Row runs on the Havok engine, not sure if that would be an issue. Not my expertise.

Thank you very much for the information, this was a huge help. I have tried to use Gibbed tools before but when I opened the archive I was met with confusion, but I will take another look at it and see if I can figure it out. Thanks again :)

Thank you very much for the information, this was a huge help. I have tried to use Gibbed tools before but when I opened the archive I was met with confusion, but I will take another look at it and see if I can figure it out. Thanks again :)
Gibbed tools at the beginning is a drag-and-drop tool. Try taking copies of your game files and dropping it into the executable containing the text: "UnpackVPP." Hopefully you can figure out how to unpack a str2 file or a "cpeg"(gpeg).

Back