Help: Creating new costumes/skins for custom weapons

Admixon

Hey. Can someone explain how to create new costumes/skins for custom weapons?
Any kind of tutorial would be great.
Please.

Hey. Can someone explain how to create new costumes/skins for custom weapons?
Any kind of tutorial would be great.
Please.
I don't thing that this small things deserve the tutorial, also I wrote about it in the end of my tutorial.

To create 3d costume for new weapon
1) Clone ingame weapon as weapon
2) Replace it with your 3d mesh
3) Delete weapons.xtbl
4) Open weapon_costumes.xtbl
5) Replace <Weapon Entry> section with your new weapon name
After this you can merge asm and xtbl files if you want to add this costume to your new weapon package

To create new skin for your new weapon

1) Clone any skin for any ingame weapon with skinname
2) Apply new textures to your weapon in 3d editor and rename weapon to skinname and export it to FBX
3) Open FBX file with SDK converter, check only matlibx
4) Package it to folder with clone skin
5) Open weapon_skins.xtbl and replace copied weapon name to your new weapon costume name

I don't thing that this small things deserve the tutorial, also I wrote about it in the end of my tutorial.

To create 3d costume for new weapon
1) Clone ingame weapon as weapon
2) Replace it with your 3d mesh
3) Delete weapons.xtbl
4) Open weapon_costumes.xtbl
5) Replace <Weapon Entry> section with your new weapon name
After this you can merge asm and xtbl files if you want to add this costume to your new weapon package

To create new skin for your new weapon

1) Clone any skin for any ingame weapon with skinname
2) Apply new textures to your weapon in 3d editor and rename weapon to skinname and export it to FBX
3) Open FBX file with SDK converter, check only matlibx
4) Package it to folder with clone skin
5) Open weapon_skins.xtbl and replace copied weapon name to your new weapon costume name
Thanks, I didn't see your tutorial before. Btw, some of the pictures in your tutorial are broken.

Open weapon_skins.xtbl and replace copied weapon name to your new weapon costume name
I'm not sure what do you mean.
I don't have any weapon_skins.xtbl file in my folder + I don't see anything about it in your tutorial. Do I have to create new one?

20180824052648_1.jpg 20180824052652_1.jpg
I was trying to create new skin (texture) but I failed.
I tried to create new costume (new model) but the weapon was white (without textures)

Last edited:
White textures mean that they didn't load, I belive you didn't merge some asm_pc file. Clone tool create three, one for 3d mesh archive, and two others for hi-res textures, looks like your textures archive asm has only one set.

I am far away from my pc, so I recommend you to extract my RE5 Assault rifle pack to figure out which tables control skins, I don't remmember its names properly.

I'm not sure what do you mean.
I don't have any weapon_skins.xtbl file in my folder + I don't see anything about it in your tutorial. Do I have to create new one?
From what Flow told me

https://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/conversations/where-did-you-get-your-reference-file.2997/

Some dlc items have their own string lists (*.le_strings files) in their respective vpp_pc files. Hence the "Miss Mischief" string is in either one of those:
  • dlc1.vpp_pc -> dlc1_us.le_strings
  • dlc2.vpp_pc -> dlc2_us.le_strings
  • dlc3.vpp_pc -> dlc3_us.le_strings
  • dlc4.vpp_pc -> dlc4_us.le_strings
  • dlc5.vpp_pc -> dlc5_us.le_strings
  • dlc6.vpp_pc -> dlc6_us.le_strings
Stupid question, cause I don't know where to find a Tutorial on how to use each of Minimual's Tools.

How did you the ExtractStrings > CMD > CD Filepath > Enter > Application Name > Space > Filename > Enter = Process

and thank you for that info, I'll add that info to my tool if all goes will.
Usually, if you want to know how to use one of Minimaul's tools just enter the toolname without additional arguments like this:
Code:
cd "X:/filepath"
ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.ExtractStrings.exe
This'll give you an explanation of all required parameters. For example:
Code:
ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.ExtractStrings game  input  [output]

game - The game you wish to build a packfile for. Valid options are "sr2", "srtt", "sriv" and "srgooh".
input - The localisation file to extract.
[output] - The output file to create. If not specified, the input filename will be used with the exension changed to ".xml".
Looking at the information above, the tool should be used like this:
Code:
cd "X:/filepath"
ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.ExtractStrings.exe "sriv" "X:/filepath/file.le_strings"

I think I made .BAT File for this all you have to do is drop the file in Tool Folder, but its BETA

Attachments

• +Minimual's ExtractStrings Help.zip
    724 bytes · Views: 430
Last edited:
Forum is giving errors
https://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/clone-clothing-or-weapon-help-easy-cmd-input.15403/
This contains my .BAT for Weapons & Beta Tutorials (I plan an Update for .BAT so you can make Multiple Clone Folders at the Same time, for Now it loops & adds a perma Suffix per session).

Also if your working on Skins for weapons...I'm wondering if you would take a couple ideas or be willing to Reskin 43rd GunVary when I'm done?

As well, can you make Animated Texture? like https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=896125501
Cause I've been asking for someone to help me with an Idea of Animated Tattoos (Like a Dragon going up & around your leg and arms)...something SR4 could have done vs Rehashing and I had this idea for AOM's Shotguns where the Non-Handle Grip Pumps is like a Holo Pattern iPhone Unlock Animation, but is Programmed for AOM (Allowing no need for 3D Animation & room for Error) & is just Animated for SR4 (Cause we can't reprogram to animate on reload/shot)

Its really sad Volition's File System or Format isn't like Bethseda...if I could link multiple Meshes to a Single Texture File or Each Piece in a Mesh to a Specific Texture, my Mod Size would be smaller.

Attachments

• 0 - Update Clone Help .BAT.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
Back