GTA V map leaked? (Spoilers + Big Images)

Looks really huge, especially with the second image showing San Andreas on top of it.

GTA V Map
GTA_V_map.jpg

GTA V Map San Andreas Comparison
GTA_los_santos_comparison.jpg

Source: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57...-auto-v-map-shows-off-its-mind-blowing-scale/

I think they really need to show the real scale of the San Andreas map as they are not even close to being the same scale.

I think they really need to show the real scale of the San Andreas map as they are not even close to being the same scale.
Agreed. If you look at the length of the airport runways on the SA map and the length of the runways in the GTA5 map, you can see that the SA map is probably at half the scale that the GTA5 map is. I mean... I can lay a map of the US over a map of Australia to show that Australia is twice the size if I don't bother with silly things like proportional scaling and stuff, but it doesn't make it true.

is6DKHP.png

A few websites are reporting that the map in GTA V is 49 square miles, compared to San Andreas' 13.6 square miles.

This doesn't have GTA V map, but I thought it was an interesting graphic showing sizes of different game worlds.

4romlc.jpg

So far the biggest open map and open world is Just Cause 2

That second comparison map looks much closer than the first.

The problem with JC2 is a lot of it is jungle or water with nothing much to it (although occasionally there's stuff on or under the water).
It's like saying "WOW! SR2 has this MASSIVE map!" without noting that a lot of it is empty ocean. Sure it is a big map, but should be honest about it.

Then again, that is the tendency of R*.. they take a game from before, slice up a part of the map, and make it bigger and packed in (GTA4 is only part of GTA3's map but sized up, and now GTA5 looks like the first island of GTA:SA but sized up)
It's not all bad.. the big question is how much stuff is put in it. That's the problem with the games.. it's not that they have tiny maps with nowhere to go (that's the opposite, they have great big maps to play in full of stuff), it's the gameplay. Even a huge map never kept me engrossed in GTA4.

So far the biggest open map and open world is Just Cause 2

That second comparison map looks much closer than the first.

If you look to the right of the graphic, there are even bigger maps then JC2 (400 sq. miles). According to wiki, Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall was bigger then the size of Great Britain (60,000 square miles+(!) including dungeons), with 750,000+ NPCs. I never played it, but man, hopefully there was instant travel in that game, lol.

But Gondar is right; any game can have a insanely huge map but it would be pointless if the content within the map is lacking.

Last edited:
The problem with JC2 is a lot of it is jungle or water with nothing much to it (although occasionally there's stuff on or under the water).
It's like saying "WOW! SR2 has this MASSIVE map!" without noting that a lot of it is empty ocean. Sure it is a big map, but should be honest about it.

Then again, that is the tendency of R*.. they take a game from before, slice up a part of the map, and make it bigger and packed in (GTA4 is only part of GTA3's map but sized up, and now GTA5 looks like the first island of GTA:SA but sized up)
It's not all bad.. the big question is how much stuff is put in it. That's the problem with the games.. it's not that they have tiny maps with nowhere to go (that's the opposite, they have great big maps to play in full of stuff), it's the gameplay. Even a huge map never kept me engrossed in GTA4.

I wasn't counting the water in JC2, but there is a lot of stuff in the middle of the jungles. I think I found almost everything in that place.

Back